Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bogart & Bacall in Venice

TomJH

In view of the fact that Lauren Bacall has been TCM Star of the Month, I thought I'd share these images of a 1951 trip that she made to Italy with her legendary first husband.

tumblr_m6mp5utYwc1qdwl9jo1_250.giftumblr_m6mp5utYwc1qdwl9jo2_250.gif

tumblr_m6mp5utYwc1qdwl9jo3_250.giftumblr_m6mp5utYwc1qdwl9jo4_250.gif

tumblr_m6mp5utYwc1qdwl9jo5_r1_250.giftumblr_m6mp5utYwc1qdwl9jo6_r1_250.gif

tumblr_m6mp5utYwc1qdwl9jo7_r1_250.giftumblr_m6mp5utYwc1qdwl9jo8_r1_250.gif

Their Wedding Day

tumblr_m45ktvcond1r2jkovo1_r1_250.jpgtumblr_m45ktvcond1r2jkovo2_r1_250.jpg

tumblr_m45ktvcond1r2jkovo6_r2_250.jpgtumblr_m45ktvcond1r2jkovo3_r1_250.jpg

tumblr_m45ktvcond1r2jkovo4_r1_250.jpgtumblr_m45ktvcond1r2jkovo7_r1_250.jpg

tumblr_m45ktvcond1r2jkovo8_r1_250.jpgtumblr_m45ktvcond1r2jkovo5_r1_250.jpg

Nothing lasts forever. Make the most of it while you can. It looks like Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart did that.

How lovely, Tom, I've never ever seen that before. How on earth did you find it? Are there urls for these videos/photos?

I find it fascinating on just how bald Bogey was and how he wasn't allowed to ever, EVER be bald in movies.

Then again, he backed down on HUAC against the Warner Satanic (apologies to Satan) Brothers, so I guess he knew on which side his bread was buttered.

Amazing, though, Bogey and Baby, they were true soulmates. Still, I cannot for the LIFE of me understand how Betty married that odious little troll Jason Robards. Shame on her.

I wasn't commenting on his acting. I was questioning the serious lapse in judgement of Betty to bring him into the hallowed space of her house formerly inhabited by the incredible Bogey.

Additionally, wasn't Robards called the poor man's Bogart?

But 'excellent'? Not even close to 'excellent', only okay at best.

You know, people, I brought those images to the message board of Bogie and Baby in Venice because it's a photographic record of a great romance of Hollywood's past. Call me sentimental but at a time when TCM has been paying tribute to a lady that I am very glad is still with us, I would like that to be the emphasis of this thread. Thank you for understanding.

Bogie and Bacall as Parents

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnWFTehIdnZ4atKmJlbDT

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmX3hRBXKiRK1l1Pcwg6x

All indications that I've ever seen is that Humphrey Bogart really became a settled family man after his marriage to Miss Bacall. Oh sure, that hard drinking always remained, and he would always be his cantankerous self with some. But he had a TON of friends (okay, a lot of them drinkin' friends) and it seems to me that Bacall became an emotionally stabilizing influence on his life.

And at the end of this great Hollywood romance, they both showed great courage. Bogie's last words to Spencer Tracy on Tracy's last visit to him were, "Goodbye, Spence." He knew it was the end and he wasn't going to cry about it. And Bacall? She showed what a great professional she was by giving that sparkling, sophisticated comedy performance in Designing Woman, knowing that her husband did not have long to go. I'm sure that Bogie would have been very proud of her for that.

These two were very very good for one another. I think we, in turn, can also feel little inspiration from them.

Bacall's book, By Myself, covers some of the "why" behind her relationship with Jason Robards.

For one thing Audrey Hepburn told Bacall she should meet him and that she would really like him.

Robard had children around the same age as her. He was Jewish. "he was quite dazzling - and a litte crazy, a remarkable actor and unlike any I'd ever known'.

"My need for someone having been denied for so long, it was impossible for me to turn away".

Bottom line Bacall fell in love. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

*Now why did I know this was going to continue?*

I gave Tom my promise to 'mum' my opinion on this matter, *so now kindly cease and desist YOUR continuance of the topic.*

Which, by the way, would have ceased and desisted had not posters like yourself given people the right to their own opinion.

*LET THIS BE YOUR LAST POST ON THE TOPIC.*

Sorry, Tom, for the reading non-comprehension of other posters.

As I just told the other poster:

*Now why did I know this was going to continue?*

I gave Tom my promise to 'mum' my opinion on this matter, *so now kindly cease and desist YOUR continuance of the topic.*

Which, by the way, would have ceased and desisted had not posters like yourself given people the right to their own opinion.

*LET THIS BE YOUR LAST POST ON THE TOPIC.*

Sorry, Tom, for the reading non-comprehension of other posters.

I will not follow any instructions you give to me. If Tom feels my point didn't relate to the topic I'll kindly follow his advise. I feel my post was still relevant since it was about Bacall. Her book By Myself is mostly about her relationship with Bogie. Only about 5% is about others.

TOM: I'm sorry I did reply and if this took your thread in a direction you didn't wish it to go. I broke my own rule by replying to someone I said I would never reply to (I did it once and got a similar nasty response). I will ensure I stick to my rule in the future.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Oct 1, 2012 2:51 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings