Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
astairegirl

Do Ya Know What's Missing?

You know, with the April Fools Festival, I believe that TCM has squeezed almost every single comedian into one month, but of all the comedians shown this month, I think one other group on funnies is missing.

Give up? The Three Stooges!

Anyone else think so?

but being that so many other channels show lots of Stooges, I do not think TCM was remiss in not showing their stuff.

You can buy just about every short or film they made, yet TCM is showing some very obscure films that never get shown on tv.

So I am pleased as punch with their selection, and shall not miss Curly, Larry and Moe.

I definitely would've appreciated some Stooge films! I'm not in a position to buy DVDs, and I never see them on other channels. (One network advertised airing the Stooges early Saturday mornings; we keep tuning in, but no Stooges.)

Besides, I just hated seeing them left out.

it's a point well-taken - the two groups we were very aware that were missing were the Three Stooges and the Little Rascals

there are a couple of reasons for this: first, they weren't easily available (it's possible - for a whole lot of money - we could have acquired a few shorts from each group); second, both are primarily known for their short subjects, as opposed to feature films (I know with the silent comedians we include a lot of shorts, but as we moved into the sound era we wanted to focus on features); third, they have been around quite a bit and it seemed a little more interesting to play people like Chase and Arbuckle

having said all of that, if we had easy access to either of those two teams, we probably would have included them

I hate to suggest otherwise, but I wonder if when planning the April programs, Little Rascal Robert Blake's future was still in doubt and it was just easier to plan not to show the shorts. [interesting that Arbuckle is now being showcased after his career was ruined because of his particular scandal.] If I had been lining up the programming for April, I probably would have thought hard about putting in THE LITTLE RASCALS with the chance that Blake might have been convicted. Just a PR thought.

That IS very interesting, but I'm not sure Blake's fate was a consideration. I say that because they aired a couple of his childhood movies not too long before the verdict. Of course, one thing may have nothing to do with the other and you may be right. I'm curious; maybe tcmprogrammer has some input?

yes, we were lucky with "Mokey" - we didn't plan it that way

honestly, the April Fools festival had so many pieces to it that the connection to Robert Blake didn't even occur to me

as I said, we would have played both the Little Rascals and Three Stooges if they were easily available, but our priorities were on the feature film comedy teams

TCMprogrammer, you got lucky again . . .

The Three Stooges aren't missing. I saw them singing in Lee Tracy's wedding in the movie TURN BACK THE CLOCK this morning!

And by the way, TURN BACK THE CLOCK needs to be rediscovered. In its story about a man who relives his humble past life and takes a different path to wealth, fame, and ruin (almost), it somewhat resembles IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, but was made 13 years earlier!