Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are there ANY films made in the year 1930?

misswonderly3

Not an earth-shaking thread topic, but I just realized the other day that I have never seen a film's release date listed as 1930.

1929, yes. 1931, yup. Nothin' in 1930.

At first I thought this had something to do with the transition to sound, but that of course happened in 1927.

So...duh, I figured it out. Stock Market crash, October, 1929. I just never put it together before (I said "duh" ! ). I know this event had profound and far-reaching effects on every aspect of life but it had never occurred to me before that one of its ( perhaps less catastrophic) ramifications was that no movies were made in the following year.

It's just funny, though...I've never seen even one movie with the date 1930 beside its title.

I have made myself look incredibly dumb and ignorant. Why oh why did I not look up "films made in 1930" before hitting that "post" button?

All I can say is, whenever I look up a date on a film that's clearly from the early 30s, it never says "1930". Of course, the 30s ( and, uh, 20s) are the film eras I am least familiar with. But that's no excuse.

I am seriously embarrassed. Can I "delete" the whole thread, or is it too late?

The moral of the story is, don't go posting a thread on impulse. Save yourself from looking like an idiot by checking a few facts first. I am now going into the garden to eat worms. And read about the year 1930 in film.

And hey, apparently worms were around in the year 1930. :P ( Thanks for not making me feel any more ridiculous than I do already.)

Ok, I've been "outed". Or I've inadvertently "outed" myself: I am a disgraceful ignoramous when it comes to anything made before 1939. And maybe after that, too. And I make comments without always checking the facts, first.

Still, maybe something good can come of this. I now have quite a few suggestions for interesting films made in 1930. Now all I have to do is find a way to watch them.

Please don't eat worms, Miss W.! In another thread, I've already referred to the Canadian chef who wanted to introduce horse meat to NYC, if you eat worms, you'll reinforce the idea of strange Canadian culinary habits!

According to my highly self-acclaimed strictly objective rating system, these are the best films from 1930, taken from my list of recordings. Obvious bias towards crime and pre-code sex duly acknowledged, though there are a few exceptions:

The Blue Angel (Dietrich)

Paid (Crawford)

The Widow From Chicago (Edward G. Robinson)

The Big House (Chester Morris, Robert Montgomery, Wallace Beery)

Little Caesar

The Truth About Youth (Loretta Young, Myrna Loy)

The Divorcee (Shearer, Montgomery)

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Unholy Three (Lon Chaney) (the sound version)

Min and Bill (Dressler and Beery)

Passion Flower (Kay Francis, Charles Bickford)

Morocco (Cooper, Dietrich)

Plus a zillion shorts

Take it easy on yourself Miss Wonderly. We all make mistakes on threads in some kind of way. I made a mistake on a thread just this past week when I misidentified Joan Bennent who was in the film "Me and My Gal" by calling her Constance Bennent. They are sisters but I was thinking of Constance when I was writing because she made more movies.

My most egregious error which I have made on the TCM Message Board was when I started a thread about Turner Classic Movies going on the air on April 14, 1992. The correct date is April 14, 1994. Luckily TCM Administrator showed mercy on my blunder in historical dates by correcting the gaffe in the subject heading on my behalf and for that I am grateful.

Thank you, thomas, you and the others who've responded to this horribly misinformed thread topic I started have been very kind and gracious about my blunder.

It's understandable you've mix up the two Bennett sisters. I've always liked Joan better, she kind of sparkles. I liked the chemistry between her and Spence in "Me and My Gal". I thought the film sort of picked up about a half hour into it- before that, it was, as others have said, a tedious bore, with that dumb drunk hanging around too much.

Joan was so good in so many films, but my favourite is probably her gold-digging art-stealing "tart" in *Scarlet Street* ( and I did check to make sure she was in it.)

'Nuff said about it, MissW. I clicked into this thread because I thought it a good question. I mean, I KNEW there were movies made that year, but really haven't seen too many broadcast lately. And for many movie buffs, 1930 DOES seem to be the "forgotten" year.

Sepiatone

I think there may be something in that production slowed somewhat after the stock market crash.

1945 is another year where there are fewer released films. It was the end of the war, the bomb had just been dropped, and there was all the fall-out (literal and metaphoric) from that...and movies were not necessarily a priority. Plus, a lot of our leading men who were in the military would really not get back to work until 1946.

I always find it a significant accomplishment when a performer or director has two or more credits from 1945. Most had just one, and many none at all. It's the year of the gap, as I call it.

That is just too funny ! At first I thought the list had to be fake, the movie titles are so ridiculously "Canadian". But I looked a couple of them up, and they appear to be for real.

I think this is the one that made me suspicious - the plot outline sounds like a parody of Canadians' love for hockey ( and we're hurtin' these days, what with the NHL lock-out and all...)

Here's the hilarious description of *The Battered Mug*. I dunno, maybe you have to be a Canadian ( and one over the age of 30) to get it.

"THE BATTERED MUG (Canada, 1930)

A hockey game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Maroons is broadcast over the radio with commentary from Foster Hewitt. The teams are competing for the Stanley Cup, "that ancient trophy which is affectionately known all over Canada as The Battered Mug". "

Apologies to FredCDobbs.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings