Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Maltese Bippy

sfpcc1

I'm currently watching The Maltese Bippy. It's not what I expected. I kind of thought It would kind of be a and and a half version of Laugh In. It's more of a so so dated regular comedy, (possibly influenced by Bob Hope films.)

When I read the title of the thread, I cringed. I remember seeing the movie as a kid. I was a fan of the show, but, yes, the movie was -- well, it made the Sammy Davis Jr./Peter Lawford "Salt & Pepper" movies look like classics. Sigh, was there really a time in our childhood when "You bet your bippy" was funny?

I was never a fan of "Laugh-In"; on the few occasions that I watched it, I saw nothing funny in it. Yet, when I saw The Maltese Bippy a few years ago on TCM, I did get a kick out of it, just for nostalgia's sake. It's not a bad film, but it's also not something I would rush to see again.

I never saw the "Bippy" movie, but WAS a regular viewer of "Laugh-In". While the comedy might seem lame and goofy today, it WAS cutting edge and topical for TV at the time. If you think about it, many of the gags done on that show couldn't be shown on TV today due to network's penchant for "political correctness" and the strident measures taken to avoid "offending" anyone. The closest you can come is "SOUTH PARK", a show, like "Laugh-In" in that neither believed in "sacred cows".

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings