Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

William Beaudine, Prolific B-film Director

TopBilled

I thought it might be fun to discuss William Beaudine (and other prolific B-film directors). While not considered an auteur, he was certainly a fine crafstman.

Get this: he turned out 179 movies (none of them, to my knowledge, were 'shorts') from 1922 to 1976.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/12214|155156/William-Beaudine/filmography.html

Does anyone have this record beat?

If it's the William Beaudine that directed a lot of "The Bowery Boys" and "East Side Kids" movies, then it's him that has that record beat. According to IMDB he has directed 366 titles. Some TV episodes late in his career and shorts early in his career. I'm particularily in appreciation for his "Bowery Boys" and "East Side Kids".

>If it's the William Beaudine that directed a lot of "The Bowery Boys" and "East Side Kids" movies, then it's him that has that record beat. According to IMDB he has directed 366 titles.

Yes, it's him. I was not counting television projects or short films. The number I quoted came from the TCM database. This is an amazing accomplishment. I do not think he directed all the Bowery Boys installments. Monogram had him very busy, directing all kinds of comedies and horror films.

The other B-directors who come closest to Beaudine's record, but fall short by a country mile are:

- *Allan Dwan*: over 130 feature films from 1914 to 1961 (most were low-budget, though he did occasionally get to do a medium-budget picture).

- *Lew Landers*: 129 B-films between 1935 and 1963. TCM will air some of his RKO product on October 11th.

- *Joe Kane*: from 1935 to 1975, he directed about 120 B-films (a large number were westerns at Republic).

- *Jean Yarbrough* (mostly at Republic, different genres): 68 B-films starting with DEVIL BAT in 1940.

*Allan Dwan: over 130 feature films from 1914 to 1961 (most were low-budget, though he did occasionally get to do a medium-budget picture).*

And on at least one occasion, he did a big budget epic: 1938's SUEZ, with Loretta Young, Tyrone Power, and Power's soon to be bride, Annabella, who he met on the set of SUEZ.

Dwan also directed John Wayne to his first Oscar nomination in *The Sands of Iwo Jima*.

And he directed Doug Fairbanks in the silent *Robin Hood*.

Peter Bogdanovich wrote a book about Dwan- *The Last Pioneer*.

He is often credited with creating the famous dolly shot in *Intolerance*

He's interviewed in Kevin Brownlow's *Hollywood* series.

Right, some of them like Dwan or Sam Fuller or Phil Karlson directed B-films but would occasionally graduate to something big budget and earn raves from critics.

I wanted to add a few more to the thread:

- *Fred F. Sears*: He also acted. From 1949 to 1958, he turned out 51 B-pictures. He died young, so no doubt his career would've continued.

- *William Castle*: Between 1943 and 1974, he directed 54 low budget productions, from westerns to horror films.

- *Roger Corman*: From 1955 to 2002, he was the director of 51 B-films. He executive-produced more titles, directed by others.

Edward L. Cahn directed some 55 movies from 1949 until his death in 1963. He had some earlier features in the 30s, but for some reason he spent the bulk of the 30s and 40s doing shorts. An oddity as his 1932 film LAW AND ORDER was quite acclaimed, it was the Earp/Clanton story in all but name.

With regards to Lew Landers, TCM has a great opportunity & imo are just showing those they showed before. One great one left out is ARSON SQUAD starring Frank Albertson & Robert Armstrong. Made for PRC in 1945. It gives a good example of how arson is a profitable racket.

l_37521_23d58938.jpg

Another great one is CRIME INC. again made for PRC in 1945.

crime-inc.jpgattachment.php?attachmentid=892&d=134426

TCM is blowing it by not showing these as they are way better than the ones they chose.

If any of you boardsters has any input with TCM as programming goes, please alert them to these titles & AFFAIR IN HAVANA. thx. :)

When I gave my history of RKO, you'll remember I mentioned Martin Mooney as having produced CRIME INC. which involves the secret filming of criminals. One year prior to CRIMINAL COURT at RKO. Mooney also produced CRIMINAL COURT.

CriminalCourt.jpg

31 DAYS OF WILLIAM BEAUDINE

SPARROWS (1926)

TWO WEEKS OFF (1929)

THOSE WHO DANCE (1930)

MISBEHAVING LADIES (1931)

THE MAD PARADE (1931)

MEN IN HER LIFE (1931)

THE CRIME OF THE CENTURY (1933)

HER BODYGUARD (1933)

THE OLD FASHIONED WAY (1934)

PROFESSOR CREEPS (1942)

THE PANTHER'S CLAW (1942)

ONE THRILLING NIGHT (1942)

PHANTOM KILLER (1942)

THE APE MAN (1943)

GHOSTS ON THE LOOSE (1943)

MYSTERY OF THE 13th GUEST (1943)

VOODOO MAN (1944)

SHADOW OF SUSPICION (1944)

CRAZY KNIGHTS (1944)

COME OUT FIGHTING (1945)

THE FACE OF MARBLE (1946)

SPOOK BUSTERS (1946)

PHILO VANCE RETURNS (1947)

HARD BOILED MAHONEY (1947)

INCIDENT (1948)

THE FEATHERED SERPENT (1948)

GHOST CHASERS (1951)

BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA (1952)

UP IN SMOKE (1957)

BILLY THE KID VS. DRACULA (1966)

JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER (1966)

What a great body of work. I'd love to see all those horrors -- I've seen a few of them, but not in years. And my favorite W.C. Fields movie, The Old Fashioned Way, with the great "Gathering Up the Shells at the Sea Shore" song/scene!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings