Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A film about the molly mcguires?

Slicks71

I'm looking for a movie about the molly mcguires and not the one with Sean Connery. His movie was in the 1970's this was an older one more like the 40-50's. I have no idea who is in it or what the plot is. Was talking with mom and she said it was good but don't recall too much maybe a name that sounds like matawan or something like that sound only like it. Any help would be great. google keeps bring up the 1970 movie. Thanks for the help.

Edited by: Slicks71 on Oct 6, 2012 12:54 PM

I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but if you ever want to see a film starring Molly McGowan, try "Snowfire". In fact, the whole cast is named McGowan. Worst and most unintentionally funny movie I've ever seen! Sorry, I'm just in one of those moods today.

*"Maybe a name that sounds like matawan or something like that sound only like it."* - Slicks71

There is an excellent film about a coal miners strike in West Virginia titled *Matewan*. But it was made in 1987 by John Sayles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matewan

Even if it isn't the film you are looking for, consider checking it out.

The only U.S. coal mining film from the 1940s or 50s that I can find is *Black Diamonds*

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/68863/Black-Diamonds/

But I don't think that is what you are looking for either.

How about some more details? Actors? B&W or color? Any female actresses in the film?

Shootings? Cave ins? Riots?

We have learned that it is very easy to get old films mixed up, especially after 50 years. And we also get old films mixed up with real life and real history stories.

Apparently the word you mentioned is a town in West Virginia, and there might be a coal mine known by that name.

But it is easy to get movies mixed up about different states, and even different countries mixed up in old films.

Any other details would help us.

I'm looking for a movie about the molly mcguires and not the one with Sean Connery. His movie was in the 1970's this was an older one more like the 40-50's. I have no idea who is in it or what the plot is. Was talking with mom and she said it was good but don't recall too much maybe a name that sounds like matawan or something like that sound only like it. Any help would be great. google keeps bring up the 1970 movie. Thanks for the help.

Since nobody's been able to find the movie you're looking for, I'll go with the long shot proposition that your mom's memory of the date and the details were imperfect, and suggest checking out Paul Muni's Black Fury from 1935. About the only thing these two films have in common other than their setting in the coal mines is that they both exhibit a jaundiced POV about the dirtballs who owned those coal mines. And even if it's not the movie she remembers, it's still very much worth watching.

Well I too recall seeing an older movie about the Molly Maguires on TCM, just don't recall the particulars. Not the silent one either, more the 40's/50's as the OP states.

I *had* to see it since one of my best friends, an historian from PA named her youngest daughter Molly Maguire (like Mary Ann) with a 3 syllable Jewish last name. 10 year old Molly-Maguire joked, "I'm the only Irish person in my family"

So I know there is such a movie, but all internet searches come up with the 1970 film.

And Sayle's Matewan is an *excellent* film. I visited the town soon after seeing the movie. The bullet holes are still embedded in the brick building.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:

> }{quote}I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but if you ever want to see a film starring Molly McGowan, try "Snowfire". In fact, the whole cast is named McGowan. Worst and most unintentionally funny movie I've ever seen! Sorry, I'm just in one of those moods today.

Hey, I actually kind of liked it. :8}

They almost had me believing that horse really could talk by the end of it!

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:

> > }{quote}I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but if you ever want to see a film starring Molly McGowan, try "Snowfire". In fact, the whole cast is named McGowan. Worst and most unintentionally funny movie I've ever seen! Sorry, I'm just in one of those moods today.

> Hey, I actually kind of liked it. :8}

> They almost had me believing that horse really could talk by the end of it!

To each his own musicalnovelty! :) But we've had some interesting discussions about this film over at imdb if you want to take a look at the discussion boards.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:

> > > }{quote}I have no idea what the answer to your question is, but if you ever want to see a film starring Molly McGowan, try "Snowfire". In fact, the whole cast is named McGowan. Worst and most unintentionally funny movie I've ever seen! Sorry, I'm just in one of those moods today.

> > Hey, I actually kind of liked it. :8}

> > They almost had me believing that horse really could talk by the end of it!

> To each his own musicalnovelty! :)

> But we've had some interesting discussions about this film over at imdb if you want to take a look at the discussion boards.

I guess I went into it almost wanting to like it when it first showed up on TCM about two years ago (it's now been on three times). I hadn't seen it since the mid-1970's when I caught only part of it on a local channel but couldn't remember much about it. Then over the years (and decades) I got curious to see it again but it's a pretty obscure one and it seemed I'd never find it or see it again. I couldn't even find references to it (in the pre-internet/IMDb days).

So, I thank TCM for finding and running it. I admit it ain't no immortal cinema classic, but I still think it would be a nice one for kids, especially those who love horses.

Thanks for the tip about the IMDb discussion boards. I'll go and take a look.

Well under further investigation and interrogation of my mother and dragging my father into the mix. The winner was Matewan. Thank you for your help. They also said it came out about the time molly McGuire dame out with Sean Connery. She said the movie was set in the 20's. I will watch both and also take the recommendations of the movies you guy posted. Thanks again for your help. I was we'll prepared for the interrogation this time. Thanks

The film "The Molly Mcguires" is the only movie dealing directly with the events of the time.

The following is all the info I can find out about them.

Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Valley of Fear" is partly based on them. The only film is a silent made in 1916. Can't figure out what does Sherlock Holmes has to do with it. ?:|

A 1965 episode of The Big Valley titled "Heritage" portrayed the Mollies as active at a fictitious mine in the Sierras in the 1870s, in which the Irish miners protest the use of Chinese laborers during a mine strike.

I am also thinking could there have been a made for television film about them that fell of the face of the Earth but highly unlikely. Generally this will show up on IMDB.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings