Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To!!! Week of October 8th!!!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To!!! Week of October 8!!!

First, a shout out to one of the most eerie and intense horror films of all time, directed by the great Carl Theodor Dreyer, VAMPYR (1932), which is listed by an alternate title this time, NOT AGAINST THE FLESH (1932)!! What a wild trip, atmospheric to the extreme! Airs at 2:30AM Monday morning EST!

Monday morning, director Rouben Mamoulian gets a daytime tribute, with a block of flicks including DR. JEKYLL AND MR HYDE (1932), with the lovely Miriam Hopkins and a stand-out performance by Frederic March!! Next up, Greta Garbo her own bad self along with John Gilbert in QUEEN CHRISTINA (1933), followed by Frederic March who again shows up in WE LIVE AGAIN (1934)!!

Monday nights are ruled by Spence in October, and the lead prime-time flick is the one I'm most grooving to this week, FURY (1936), the hard-hitting Fritz Lang flick, also starring the lovely Sylvia Sidney!!

Tuesday mid-afternoon, 2:30pm est to be exact, it's round-up time, with Charles Starrett in THE COWBOY STAR (1936) and George O'Brien in HOLLYWOOD COWBOY (1937)!!

A rare 1929 flick airs in prime-time (8pm est) on Tuesday night, LUCKY STAR, with Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell!! Really looking forward to this one!!

Wednesday 6am kicks off a rocking block of 30's crime flix with lawyers in the mix!!! First up is William Powell and the sexy gorgeous Joan Blondell in LAWYER MAN (1933)!!! Pre-code fun! The luscious Margaret Lindsay mixes it up with the spunky Glenda Farrell in THE LAW IN HER HANDS (1936)!! Next up is my main man Warren William as Perry Mason in THE CASE OF THE VELVET CLAWS (1936)!! Then it's Ann Dvorak, with John Litel, in MIDNIGHT COURT (1937), this one I've not seen before, so really gonna groove!

OMG, Thursday, October 11 is such a rocking day!!!! All day long we'll be treated to 1930's lesser known flix directed by Lew Landers!!! First up, NIGHT WAITRESS (1936) with Margot Grahame!!! Then Harry Carey and John Beal in BORDER CAFE (1937)!!! The lovely Sally Eilers teams with Harry Carey and John Beal in DANGER PATROL (1937)!!! Then it's Chester Morris and Onslow Stevens in FLIGHT FROM GLORY (1937)!! John Beal shows up again, this time with Joan Fontaine, in THE MAN WHO FOUND HIMSELF (1937)!! THEY WANTED TO MARRY (1937) features Betty Furness!!! My main man Robert Armstrong mixes it up with the lovely Sally Eilers in WITHOUT ORDERS (1937)!! Next the lovely Helen Mack teams with Onslow Stevens in YOU CAN'T BUY LUCK (1937)!! Richard Dix appears with Eduardo Ciannelli in BLIND ALIBI (1938)!! Allan Lane in the crime flick, CONSPIRACY (1938)!!! And finally, Chester Morris in the crime flick, SMASHING THE RACKETS (1938)!!! Wow, what a groovy day!!!

I'm totally grooving at 5:15am est on Friday morning with the low-budget but very, very cool crime flick, DESTINATION MURDER (1950) with Joyce MacKenzie!!! Dig this flick! Next up, we're in 1930, and lovin' it, with Richard Dix in LOVIN' THE LADIES!! Then Joe E Brown, Frank McHugh and the lovely Patricia Ellis hit the diamond in ELMER THE GREAT (1933)!!! Dick Powell and Josephine Hutchinson show up next in HAPPINESS AHEAD (1934)!!

Friday nights this month will focus on American Politics in Film and this week I'll be grooving hard to my main man Brian Donlevy in THE GREAT MCGINTY (1940)!!!

An outstanding noir flick, starring Pat O'Brien and the sexy Claire Trevor, along with Herbert Marshall, Wally Ford and Ray Collins, CRACK-UP (1946) shows up at 8:30am on Saturday morning!! Don't miss this one if you've not seen it before, there is a scene about mid-way through that rivals the best in any Hitch flick!! Another noon screening of a Jungle Jim flick hits my groove-o-meter, with Johnny Weissmuller in the lead role in JUNGLE JIM IN THE FORBIDDEN LAND (1952)!!

Sunday morning kicks off with a couple of groovy crime flix: DEADLINE AT DAWN (1946) with Susan Hayward and Paul Lukas!!, and CRIME IN THE STREETS (1956) with James Whitmore and Sal Mineo!! Noon Sunday finds us with May Robson and Carole Lombard in LADY BY CHOICE (1934)!!! Sunday night don't miss the war time flick, FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO (1943) with Franchot Tone, Anne Baxter, Akim Tamiroff, and Erich Von Stroheim, directed by Billy Wilder!!! Silent Sunday night will feature the great Lon Chaney in THE UNKNOWN (1927), followed by a Fritz Lang masterpiece, DAS TESTAMENT DES DR. MABUSE (1933)!!! And finally, wee hours of the morning, CONTRABAND (1940)!!

Dig it, another groovy week of flix courtesy of TCM!!!

Looks like a great week Mark. I'm particularly interested in the Lew Landers tribute. I don't know anything about the films that are airing, but I tend to enjoy Columbia B's from that time period - late 30's.

Plus it's good to see the disability in film tribute looking at some rarer lesser known films.

By the way, I really did like the 35 film "Shadow of Doubt". It seems like Virginia Bruce shows up in quite a few good but forgotten ones from the mid 30's.

I thank you, markbeckuaf, for highlighting so many wonderful movies this week.

I will be rocking and grooving to these movies in addition to the ones you mention:

*The Doughgirls* (1944) is fun in its innocent absurdity. Jane Wyman is perfect as a ditz.

*Libeled Lady* (1936) is William Powell and Myrna Loy at their merry best. I feel they had great chemistry in their light comedies as well as their crime comedies.

*The Divorce Of Lady X* (1938) has great chemistry also but it is between Merle Oberon and Sir Laurence Olivier with Binnie Barnes adding her fine touch.

*The Flight of the Phoenix* (1965) is one of James Stewart's serious roles that I like. I do not remember seeing this on TCM before.

*The Legend Of Lylah Clare* (1968) is intense. I love Kim Novak's performance!

*I Married A Witch* (1942) is one of my favorite comedies. It has a usually serious actor playing befuddled comedy in the same manner as *The Divorce of Lady X* (1938).

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> I'm particularly interested in the Lew Landers tribute. I don't know anything about the films that are airing, but I tend to enjoy Columbia B's from that time period - late 30's.

>

I'd also love to see more Columbia B's from the 1930's on TCM, but all of the Lew Landers movies being shown that day on TCM are RKO Radio Pictures that have been shown before.

Hope everyone is movin' and groovin' to this morning's 1930s lawyer/legal flix!!! I am languishing at work, but will have them on the DVR to enjoy when I get some time this week or weekend!!! Really an awesome lineup!

And though some folks have mentioned that the Landers flix showing up tomorrow all day long have been aired before, I'm sure I haven't seen most of them before, so I'm totally grooving hard to checking them out!!!

I hope you soon have time to groove to *The Divorce of Lady X* (1938).

I believe few other actors could make work the line: "We have ample opportunities in this court for learning what women mean, or what they mean they mean if in these days they mean anything at all."

Excellent day of real classically classic movies, mark. A bit too much misogynism in 'women can't be lawyers', but what can one expect.

Warren William, mfh, was gorgeous as usual, even with a cold.

George Reeves is trying hard right now, but I'm embarrassed for him, a year after GWTW, and turned it off. So many good actors working in mediocre roles with sub-par writing, so sad.

Tomorrow looks like a great day to remember what TCM used to be. Thanks mark.

Mark, your wonderful enthusiasm and scholarship always stuns me.

You are a great favorite with me and I can hardly wait to read your roundups. I know everyone on this board would agree.

Would love to read sometimes from you about your favorite horror classics.

I've just started a new thread, "Scariest Movie Houses" that might intrigue you--do you have any favorite haunted house/or horror house flicks.

Keep up the great work!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> I didn't have it on my DVR schedule for today though so it will have to be next time, but I believe it's a flick I've seen pop up on TCM from time to time.

I do hope it airs again soon. It aired several times many years ago. I believe it has aired nearly as many times recently. I hope it has not run the gamut of TCM's licensed airings.

Princess, thank you so much for your kind comments!!!! I also am totally digging your contributions to the board, particularly in several of the classic horror thread discussions going on currently, but always really! And I dig your thread on spooky houses, just posted a brief thought there!

I dig horror mostly from the silents through the 40's, with my absolute faves in the 30's. But I also dig on Val Lewton and his more suggestive horror from the 40's, as well as the more child fare that Universal put out in the 40's (more on a B scale but with A budgets and stars). Those are still fun and conjure up childhood memories.

But I totally dig the 30's horror cycle, including VAMPYR and some classics put out independently as well as by other studios than Universal (such as ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, KING KONG, DOCTOR X, and so on). Also for silents, I groove to THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI and NOSFERATU the most, but there are others I dig as well!

Anthony Quinn too?

Fascinating, a slight little movie, only an hour long. But Mike the Cop had the lead in 1936 and could act, and a whole lot better than most of today's 'classic' (1960 on, that is) movies. Margot Grahame - another actor who disappeared and again, was a much better actor than many famous star actresses (yes, Garbo) of the time.

Thank you, TCM, for the crumbs. Too bad you don't SPIN OFF A CHANNEL that shows this stuff non-stop.

Incredible.

Well acted with no scenery chewing (yes, Garbo and Hepburn), well produced (no cheap stuff), well directed, and exciting right until the end.

Amazing, how TCM can get it right *if they want to.* If ever there was a case for a *CLASSIC CHANNEL SPINOFF*, Night Waitress is it.

Never saw the films of Lew Landers before. More than a hundred movies, and who knows his name? He even directed some Superman television shows.

Amazing, how TCM can remember what CLASSIC really is, when they try to.

Too bad they don't *SPIN OFF A CLASSIC CHANNEL.*

They have the money, why don't they do it?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings