Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
astairegirl

WHEN DID IT START?

How did you fall in love with old movies?

were you just surfing through the channels one day and happened to come across one? did you watch an old movie at a friend's house and wanted to see more?

I guess now is a good time to tell you how i became hooked.

i was in the seventh grade. the week before christmas break. every class was taking finals except for my Bible Quizzing class. we had a party and one of the kids brought "Holiday Inn."

I was hooked. I also fell in love with Fred Astaire, and was swooning over Bing Crosby's voice!

I'm 18 now, and I still can't get my fill. I don't think that space will ever get full.

Holiday Inn was my beginning too! I was seven, and Grandfather had just received a VHS copy as a Christmas present. The lack of princesses or ballet dancing found me bored the first time through, but then I watched it again, and was enchanted. It's been my favorite movie ever since.

As for the film that got me watching classic movies exclusively... This happened about four years ago. I had long heard of the great Katharine Hepburn, but had never seen her in a movie. One lazy Sunday afternoon found me glued to the television set as The Philadelphia Story aired on my local PBS station. To paraphrase a line from another of Kate's films, "I never dreamed that any...experience could be so stimulating!"

I love how very decent they are (at least the post-code ones), even when broaching controversial subjects. And spirit lifting, dreamy, imaginative and...just wonderful. You're so right, astairegirl. One can never see or have too many old movies!

I got started with old movies when they weren't old ;). I think the first time I realized how much I loved movies, just in general, was when I first saw "Jason and the Argonauts" - the 1963 version. We really had only 2 or 3 stations that played movies back then (the days when the term surfing was exclusively reserved for what you do on a long board). WABC in NY had the 4:30 movie every weekday and that's where you would find me. WOR played "Gone with the Wind" and that's when I think I was hooked. Eventually AMC rolled around and when they actually showed classic moves, I found stuff like "All that Heaven Allows", "When Worlds Collide", "Mildred Pierce" and all things 50's SciFi, that sort of stuff. It was there that I also became a Valentino fan. Thankfully, we now have TMC.

I think Oklahoma was mine. My dad was always watching old westerns or something on a Sunday afternoon, and that is how I cultivated it, but I remember my parents putting in all the Rodgers and Hammerstien movies for me and my brothers to watch.

I used to get so bored at the long dance sequences. Then I saw Gene Kelly dance and I couldn't get enough. Now I have become a musical nerd.

I guess they make me so happy because they bring me back to those Sunday afternoons, I'm not sure. But I can't get enough now either. It is a sickness. A sickness that TCM not only creates but profits from. ;)

I believe it got started for me with my mother renting Shirley Temple videos from the video store back in the early 80's. I loved them and I believe that and I Love Lucy on TV got me accustomed to enjoying Black & White. Lots of kids have an aversion for that- not colorful like they are used to. Thank God AMC was around and a good station when I was a teenager and that really got me hooked for good. Now TCM gets me my fix daily!

I was about 10 or 11, and I felt sick during a family party during one Sunday before Christmas, so Iw ent upstairs to watch TV, and YANKEE DOODLE DANDY was on television. I was hooked immediately.

> How did you fall in love with old movies?

I lived in Williamsport PA in the 70s. Williamsport was one of the first towns at the time to participate in something new, cable TV. We got WPIX and WNEW and WOR Channel 9 from New York City and of course they showed all kinds of great old stuff and, like a few others here, I saw "Holiday Inn" late one Saturday night on WPIX just before Christmas. That did it.

The first classic I saw was in middle school. I was flipping through the stations and landed on Rebecca and absolutely loved it. But that wasn't when I fell in love with old movies, at that time I was just in love with that movie. About 3 years ago, a whole six years after first seeing Rebecca, we signed up for Netflix and I rented All About Eve and that did it. Since then I can't even count how many classics I have seen. Someone mentioned that it was sickness, and I completely agree and understand. I skipped the first half of my first class yesterday just to watch a movie on TMC. Luckily for me I am able to use my love of film in my classes (because my majors are Philosophy and sociology) so I can actually watch movies under the pretense of doing research.

I think I was about one year old.

I was in my crib and I remember seeing a tv, and there was some movie about a man who was falling off a bridge.

It made a big impression on me, and I was transfixed. Lest you think I am kidding, I am not. For years I would talk about wanting to see the movie about the man who fell off the bridge, according to my parents. But to this day, alas...I have not seen it. I think I would recognize the scene though, if I saw it again.

My mother, being a big movie buff, always let me stay up late in the summer and watch old movies with her. She knew not only the stars, but all the names of the character actors, and was an encyclopedia about the background making of many films, and other things about directors and such. By the time I was in grade school, I was able to spew out those TV Guide movie encapsulations for certain films, due to them being shown so much on tv in certain cases. I bought my first book on movies at the age of about twelve, and now own hundreds of books, all of which have been thorougly perused. I like both classic and obscure foreign films, and even can find something to like in the worst film...whether it be that the decors are amusing or the clothes look bought right off the rack. I only waste a little bit of time watching films of little merit though, since there are so many viable classics to watch...from the silents, through the golden age, and even up till now. Every once in a while, I will see a current film which looks to be a potential future classic, but I like the ones from the 1920's to the 1960's best.

Fun question!

I also grew up watching WPIX-11 and WOR-9 in the 70's. I have early memories of Abbott & Costello, Universal Monsters and Sci-fi like Godzilla, King Kong, all those big bug movies.

Three that I really loved as a kid were Frankenstein, Mighty Joe Young and The Day of the Triffids.

Also remember watching a lot of Twilight Zone, Outer Limits and Mission Impossible (Dads favorites)

I was growing up in Las Vegas back in the mid-1960s. We had two afternoon movie shows (the type that Johnny Carson used to do parodies of) that showed old black and white movies. Wait Until the Sun Shines Nellie, State Fair, etc.

On Saturday nights we had the Million Dollar Theatre and on Monday nights our NBC affiliate, KORK, had Monday Night at the Movies.

All were treasure troves of movies. I had decided by the late 1960s that I wanted to be a filmmaker so I couldn't soak those movies up enough.

We had a Cinerama Dome that ran the reissue of "Gone With the Wind" in the mid-1960s.

Plus, our local library had a film night once a month that showed old comedies of Laurel and Hardy, Harold Lloyd, Chaplin and Keaton.

Our Channel 5 had a Bogart/Cagney double bill every Thursday night. Long before the days of VCRs and taping to watch later. Back then, if you missed it your chances of seeing it again any time soon were slim.

In the early 1970s, the original MGM Hotel opened and it was a movie lover's paradise. Each restaurant was themed after a famous MGM movie, there was a memorabilia shop downstairs that sold lobby cards, one sheets, and such. Plus they had props and costumes on display.

In the hallway leading to the pool, were the makeup masks of famous stars on display.

But the best of all, was the movie theatre where for $2.50 you could see a Studio Print of a Classic Hollywood movie, plus newsreel and cartoon. The bill changed ever week.

Twice a year, they would show the big 4: Gone with the Wind, Doctor Zhivago, 2001 and Ryan's Daughter.

I spent my teenage years in that Hotel watching all those movies. When the MGM fire occurred, the hotel never reopened the movie theatre. It was turned into a Comedy Club.

I have never forgotten it.

I remember that WPIX would play an Abbott and Costello film every sunday morning. This was followed by a Courageous Cat & Minute Mouse cartoon. i also remember WNEW showing the old Laurel and Hardy Silents. WOR was great back then, especially around Thanksgiving. thursday was King kong, friday Godzilla.

Then of course there was Matinee at the Bijou.

When did it start? I can't say exactly. I do know one thing though, I don't see it ending anytime soon.

One more quick question, what was the name of the Laurel and Hardy silent with the infamous pie fight? I want to say "The Battle of the Century", but i'm not sure. "Big Business" (where they're selling Christmas Trees) is another classic.

I was probably 5 when I have my first remembrance.

The first old movie I can remember seeing, and I don't know the name of it and it may have been a serial, had a scene it where a man was in an elevator, or a room, with a tall lamp in it and nothing else, and the walls started to come in around him and he put the lamp up to try and stop the walls from closing in. Would love to know the name of this film/serial.

My first old movie remembrance was watching The Brasher Doubloon on an afternoon after school.

I remember Million Dollar Movie on channel 9 in NYC. I would love to have been a young adult in the 40's to be able to wear all those wonderful clothes and always look so "put together."

My love for old movies has only deepened with the passage of many years, and tend to not see any new films if there's an old one on that I like.

Dana Andrews, Humphrey Bogart, Lizbeth Scott, Robert Mitchum, Ida Lupino, Robert Ryan - there will never be any like them.

could that be an episode of the serial "The Shadow" with Victor Jory playing Lamont Cranston?

It's been awhile though, since I've seen it so I may be wrong. Great serial though regardless!

I was about 9 or 10 when I was listening to radio shows on tape that I got from the library.I said i'm going to see a movie that this guy is in & then bang I wanted more & more classic movies.

I'm 16 now.

Thank you, fuster - I will have to look for that one - I do remember liking Victor Jory when I was around that age (still do but he's hardly ever seen). It would be great if I finally had my question about that film answered!

I was born and raised on apple pie, coca-cola, and John Wayne. A pure American girl. I was attracted to old movies my whole life, but the whole thing started getting deep when I watched "Philadelphia story" with Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn and James Stewart. It all started with John Wayne, however, and I was probably sucking a bottle then.

I'm 19 now, and still haven't watched all of John Wayne's films. Who has? Have any of you?

I know exactly when it started. It was a two-parter, when I was a kid in the 70s. Part 1: KTLA Channel 5 in Los Angeles used to show the same movie every night for a week. I happened across an obscure Gary Cooper film called "The Cowboy and the Lady" and kept returning each night to see it again. Fell completely in love with Coop and wanted to see more of these old black and white flicks. Coop remained the love of my life for 2 whole weeks (ahh, how fickle is adolescence) until...Part 2: Home sick from school and watching TV in the afternoon. "Casablanca" came on and completely broadsided me. I've literally never been the same since, and wouldn't have it any other way. And Bogie is still The Man. (Apologies to Coop!)

I was 10 and we were visiting at my grandmother's house. I was up late watching TV (I was always a night-owl, even as a kid) and Arsenic and Old Lace came on. I thought it was the funniest thing I had ever seen and I've been hooked ever since... (I'm 35 now)