Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Son of Fury

bundie

As many times as I've seen this movie, it never occurred to me until now that it featured two actresses who later developed psychiatric problems: Frances Farmer (whose problems began very shortly after this movie) and Gene Tierney. One of those weird coincidences.

BLU

I would not include George Sanders, because as far as I know he was not in a mental hospital.

I have seen many listings of films in which one or more of the participants eventually committed suicide, some with as many as three people. Sad.

BLU

Hi, bundie. I agree with Arturo. The very fact that George Sanders committed suicide indicates that he had mental health issues. Just because he was not in an institution doesn't mean that he shouldn't have been. I worked with the disabled population for 16 years, and for those individuals who were depressed, one of the first questions they were asked was if they felt suicidal at any time. I hope I don't sound sarcastic. I don't mean to.........................

That's cool. I still would not include him. What struck me is that these two actresses spent years in treatment, which affected their careers. George Sanders, as far as I know, was one of the hardest-working men in show business from the 1930s to the 1970s, with no interruptions in his career. I wasn't so much referring to psychiatric problems as in everyone who suffers from depression or anxiety (which many, many people do, some severely) but are essentially functioning as I was to psychiatric problems where people are "away" for awhile because it just gets to be too much and they can no longer go about their daily lives. Both Tierney and Farmer received strong, primitive treatments in use at the time.

But again, it's cool if you and Arturo disagree with me. No offense taken!

BLU

This film irritated me. It was an imitation of a mix of Charles Dickens novels, also Wuthering Heights (the stable boy), Anthony Adverse, Mutiny on the Bounty, and a couple of others. It was a formula film. But what irritated me the most was that Tyrone Power had to take too much abuse, hour after hour. I would have liked to have seen him kill George Sanders at the end.

Also, his island wife should have had a little 2 or 3 year old boy when he returned to the island.

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}*"Also, his island wife should have had a little 2 or 3 year old boy when he returned to the island."*

I thought the same thing! After all, why not throw in a little of The Hurricane (1937) with all those other movie plots? And it always bothered me that Franchot Tone and his Tahitian wife in Mutiny on the Bounty didn't have a baby...I know, it wouldn't have worked well for the plot, considering that it would have been a broken family, but still...

BLU {font}

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings