Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cover Girl(1944)

ERROL23

Rusty Parker(Rita Hayworth),Danny McGuire(Gene Kelly)and Genius(Phil Silvers)are partners in a small nightclub in New York.In one night comes John Coudair(Otto Kruger)well to do owner of the Cover Girl magazine.John is shocked when he sees Rusty whos a dead ringer of a girl he almost married 40 years ago.Hes futher shocked to learn that Rusty is the grandughter of the girl he loved.

John feels Rusty would be better off if she married his ward Noel Wheaton(Lee Bowman)and leave Danny and sign up with the magazine.Rusty loves Danny,but she wants to hit the top,no matter what.

Song Long Ago And Far Away(Jerome Kern)is a Standout.

http://www.impawards.com/1944/cover_girl.html

Edited by: ERROL23 on Oct 3, 2012 8:42 PM

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Gene Kelly seemed to be in a sour mood all through the picture. I wonder what the trouble was? Also Rita Hayworth gave it her all as did Phil Silvers who danced almost as well as Gene. The Magazine melody seemed the same as the one done in Easter Parade.

I do know that Kelly punched out director, Charles Vidor, so perhaps he just didn't like working on the picture?  Not a big Kelly fan, so I can't tell when he's sour, or not.  I've read he had a great time with Hayworth and Silvers, though.

• 1 year later...

Despite whatever mood Kelly may have or may not have been in, I really liked Cover Girl.  I think Kelly and Hayworth made a great pairing.  Phil Silvers is always annoying to me, but he was less annoying in this film than he was in Summer Stock

I loved the color and Hayworth's costumes.  Kelly's dance number where he dances with his reflection is one of his best dance numbers. 

My only problem with this film is the way that the makeup artists did Hayworth's makeup.  She always seems to look rather garish in color films, I don't know if the Columbia makeup artists just weren't very good or why she always seemed to be wearing too much makeup.  She always looked gorgeous in her black and white films.

Despite whatever mood Kelly may have or may not have been in, I really liked Cover Girl.  I think Kelly and Hayworth made a great pairing.  Phil Silvers is always annoying to me, but he was less annoying in this film than he was in Summer Stock

I loved the color and Hayworth's costumes.  Kelly's dance number where he dances with his reflection is one of his best dance numbers. 

My only problem with this film is the way that the makeup artists did Hayworth's makeup.  She always seems to look rather garish in color films, I don't know if the Columbia makeup artists just weren't very good or why she always seemed to be wearing too much makeup.  She always looked gorgeous in her black and white films.

I don't think it's her make-up. I think it's the way Columbia's Technicolor process photographed the make-up and flesh tones that makes it look more garish than it normally would have been.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Rita's Cockney song and dance scene (although I believe her voice was dubbed in some sections) "Poor John" never fails to entertain me. I don't know what it is. I did actually enjoy this film; I never heard that Gene Kelly was in a bad mood during the production. That's certainly interesting. Hmm, this thread has got me thinking, maybe I'll watch it again tonight.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings