Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Uninvited, The ...Why???Did They?

breezyrobin

Okay, this has been bothering me and it really shouldn't with all the real life problems that I experience... but why in this movie "The Uninvited" with Ray Milland...........

Set the stage: He and his sister are on a weekend trip to the cliffs/shores of England...their dog (Bobby) runs into an empty mansion built on a cliff by the sea...they get in through the window and save the squirrel the dog chased...then realize the house is empty and it's beautiful... they decide to pack up life in the city --buy and move into to the mansion, of course if they can afford to.. They can, they do. Sis is preppring house (with stuff in storage from when? Their Mother's house?) anyway, he finally arrives with the housekeeper & her cat...House Beautiful... however, all candles in scenes...leaving all doorways blackened (spooky?)...then all go up the grand staircase to go to bed. Well, Sis tries to tell her brother about strange goings on (active ghosts) while she worked fixing up/decorating/furnishing house and he ignores her and tells her to go to bed...she leaves and here it is... He's laying in bed, candleabra on nightstand, candles ablaze and he's listening to an Electric Radio... Was blackening the house an afterthought on this film? If so, they forgot to remove the radio from his nightstand...

Any thoughts? I know...how dumb... but it was bothering me... Also, is the wicked (old) lady in The Big Heat, Marlon Brando's mother? or relative? Her name is Jocelyn Brando.. I've noticed her in bit parts of other old movies but can't recall them all now... Just wondering if his mom was this actress?

Jocelyn Brando was the older sister of Marlon by 5 years. She appeared in many films and on TV. She played Glenn Ford's ill fated wife in "The Big Heat", not an old lady, you might be thinking of Jeanette Nolan who was also in that film..

I don't remember the radio in the movie, but the film is coming up tonight, and I'll try to watch for the radio.

They did have portable radios back in those days. They were about half the size of a small suitcase. They usually had a carrying handle on top. They had a few small tubes in them, and they used large high-voltage dry cells, which were rectangular and about 1/4 the size of the whole radio.

4793996899_f377b26f76_z.jpg

• 8 months later...

Thanks for replying SansFin

I appreciate the comments and I considered the fact that it was probably battery operated but like I said originally, it just bothered me...hahahaha :-)

Btw: That movie entertains the heck out of me no matter how many times I watch it. The Uninvited is still one of the best "ghost" movies made. I can see where many ideas for "Poltergeist" came from.

Regards,

Robin

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings