Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Best Common Classics

BasilBruce

After recently seeing the Philadelphia Story (1940) I was thinking that as much as its talked about and springs to mind when the term "classic movie" is used, it's a great movie. There are some movies though that I think are highly overrated, such as To Catch a Thief (1956). What are some movies that are mentioned a lot but are great and some that are awful and totally overrated.

Basil, I agree with you. So many movies -- many considered classics -- are overrated. We all have our lists. As much as I worship Hitchcock, two of his films which are on my "most overrated" list are *To Catch a Thief* and *North by Northwest*.

Fully deserving the "classic" label: Out of the Past, The Killers, A Star is Born (1954 version), Goodfellas, Libeled Lady, All About Eve, The Lady Eve, 42nd Street, Casablanca, The Crowd, Pandora's Box, Nightmare Alley, and several hundred others, most definitely including The Philadelphia Story.

Way overrated: Close Encounters of the Third Kind, West Side Story (yuck), Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate, A Streetcar Named Desire, Some Like It Hot, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Searchers, My Man Godfrey, Funny Face, and several dozen others, most definitely including Citizen Kane.

Here we go again. One's opinion opposing another's. For me, whenever some examination of the "Golden Age" of movie comedies is aired, some dinks decide that *Bringing Up Baby* and *Ninotchka* are among the best, and I CAN'T stand either.

But, that's ME. You might have another opinion. Hell, these two stinkbombs might even be YOUR FAVORITES!

And that's OK. I'm sure some of MY favorites fall into YOUR stinkbomb category.

Sepiatone

PS: No matter HOW bad I think *Ninotchka* is, it's musical counterpart *Silk Stockings* is WORSE!

Jonas. I tend to agree with you that I really don't see a topic here, per se.

First what makes a movie overrated? i.e. who decides this? Now one specific criteria would be an official ranking like the AFI top 100. Clearly one could say the movies on that list are highly rated (at least by the AFI), and thus one could have an actual discussion of what movies on that list should NOT be on that list, and thus overrated.

But unless there is some specific criteria for what makes a movie 'overrated', what I generally see is people just saying movies they don't like are overrated by definition.

Of course the same applies to what is 'underrated'. i.e. for something to be over or under RATED, it first has to be RATED. Hey, I work with complex statistics for a living and yes, I'm prone to overanalyze.

As for To Catch A Thief, as far as Hitchcock movies, I would tend to agree that it isn't one of his most highly regarded movies (based on the forum we had here where people listed their favorite Hichcock movie). While I like the movie I wouldn't rank it in Hitch's top 10. But I wouldn't say it was overrated, just not one of my favorite Hitchcock movies.

Sepiatone wrote: whenever some examination of the "Golden Age" of movie comedies is aired, some dinks decide that Bringing Up Baby and Ninotchka are among the best

----------------------------------

darkblue responded:

dinks?

Not nice.

Perhaps you're referring to double income no kids couples, but that begs the question "how did you know?"

-------------------------------------------------

LOL

Well dark, maybe it was the two BMWs parked in their driveway, AND all the rest of their disposable income???

;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings