Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oh darn, it happened again.

slaytonf

I don't watch Best Years of Our Lives every time it's on, even though it's the best American film, and one of my favorites. 'Cause I've seen it a lot, you know. Maybe ten, fifteen times. And, so I'm not surprised by anything. I know what's coming. So I say to myself, every time they're in the cab about to drop off Homer, hey, I'm no softy. I'm pretty tough. I can take it. And I've seen it lots before, so I'll be ok. But when he gets out of the cab I feel myself slipping. And when his sister starts running and wildly shouting to everyone and then she runs into his arms, and. . . . oh darn, it happened again.

Same here.

The is one of the few long films in which not much happens most of the time, but it seems very realistic to me and it is fascinating to watch.

I still wonder what happened to Fredric March's son. He disappears after the talk with pop about atomic energy. He just vanishes off the face of the earth.

Yep! There was so many great scenes which never fail to choke me up in this film that it's hard to list 'em all.

Yep, just like in my other two top favorites which I've watches many many times, The Apartment and that other one about some guy who one Christmas Eve wishes he was never born. ;)

FredCDobbs wrote: I still wonder what happened to Fredric March's son. He disappears after the talk with pop about atomic energy. He just vanishes off the face of the earth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Fred! I THOUGHT everybody around here a while back agreed that Rob Stevenson moved out and started rooming with Chucky Cunningham! Both, of course, never to be seen again.

(...man, how quickly we forget, eh?) ;)

Virginia just said one of my favorite lines, when she's in the nightclub and is

going to the Ladies' room with Teresa Wright. When she comes to the door

with Ladies on it she says I pay no attention to the sign, I just go right in.

Hee hee.

The fact that nothing much of a spectacular nature happens is what makes it

realistic. That's what everyday life is usually like.

I get a kick out of Ray Collins as the Cornbelt head. Putting out the same bs

they still do today.

Now about young Stephenson. He disemboweled himself with that sword while

engaged in a very kinky sex act. Of course they couldn't refer to it back in '46.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> I still wonder what happened to Fredric March's son. He disappears after the talk with pop about atomic energy. He just vanishes off the face of the earth.

What, you'd want the movie to be even LONGER?! (If there were more scenes with the son).

Only kidding, I love this movie too, and consider it one of the few famous award-winning classics that truly deserves all its praise and awards.

I think Harold Russell and his character and story in the movie are my favorite parts (and not just because of my personal connection to him, which I explained in one of the other threads on the "Disabilities in Film"). So glad they let him act naturally and not take acting courses!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings