Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LUCKY STAR (1929) TCM Premiere Tonight in Prime-time

gagman66

This is a very underrated film. Just about as good as 7TH HEAVEN and STREET ANGEL. I wish I could say the same for the new Music score by Chris Caliendo. Some of it is OK, but much of the score is way off base. Don't let this deter you from tuning in or recording a great movie. Who knows when TCM may run it again? .

LuckyStar1929PaintedLobbycard.jpg

Yep, everyone should see this one.

I think the only reason this doesn't have the reputation of Seventh Heaven and Street Angel is because of its original U.S. release format; it was a part-talkie, made in 1929 when talkies finally took over, so it was ignored at the time, shortly to disappear for something like 60-70 years. But the European fully silent version that survives is as good as anything Borzage made, as good as anything made during that period. They're all great, but I like this even more than Seventh Heaven and Street Angel now (and I strongly suspect The River would be in the same league if the complete film is ever discovered; what we do have is exceptional.)

I think the score is mostly fine. Caliendo's country-isms can be a bit too much but the quiet parts work well (like the scene near the end with Janet Gaynor listening to the music box in that great wintry light.)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings