Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mongo is dead

filmlover

Heard it on the radio last night. Sad news. He was legendary here in Detroit, since his days of playing for the Lions as part of the team's famed "production line". He did several humorous TV commercials for Dertoit brand FAYGO soft drinks and won notoriety for beating the crap out of wrestling's famed bad boy "Dick The Bruiser" at Dertroit's popular Anchor Bar. His turn as "MONGO" in *Blazing Saddles* was a high point of the film.

Rest in peace, Mr. Karras.

Sepiatone

CORRECTION: My wife corrected me in that the bar Karras beat the crap out of "Dick the Bruiser" at was the LINDELL A.C., a popular watering hole for sports writers and sports figures back in the day. It was across Trumbull Ave. from Tiger Stadium.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}Not being a football fan, I read this title and thought you were referring to our wonderful poster "mongo". It was an awful few seconds before I realized this was someone else. :(

Sorry about that. I chose the role that Karras will always be remembed for.

I wonder if TCM will do a tribute.

It is sad to say that only *Blazing Saddles* (1974) and *Victor Victoria* (1982) were popular.

Many movies in which he appeared are thought mediocre:

*FM* (1978)

*Against All Odds* (1984)

*Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang* (1978)

*Nobody's Perfekt* (1981)

I can only hope that he was paid well for:

*Win, Place or Steal* (1975)

*The Great Lester Boggs* (1974)

*When Time Ran Out...* (1980)

I believe it best to say little of *Porky's* (1982).

*Against All Odds* mediocre?!?

Well, I always thought so, but it seemed EVERYbody was in love with this mud puddle. AND that sappy, syrupy Phil Collins tune.

But, HEY! It's work, and I believe Karras felt the MONEY wasn't mediocre.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings