Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I love these TCM Westerns!

FredCDobbs

TCM has shown some very good prints of old 1930s Westerns, and I think they are great. Such as the Charles Starette film that is on now.

It is a mix of the old West, Hollywood Western-movie making, and Eastern gangsters. :)

What more could anyone ask for?

How about all the old John Wayne Westerns of the 1930s? He made many of them, each usually with a different female star, such as Louise Brooks in OVERLAND STAGE RAIDERS. Wow! John Wayne and Louise Brooks!! :)

PS: By the way, I think the Charles Starette film is a new HDTV dub from a 35 mm print. It looks like it was recorded with a bigger CCD imaging device (or whatever it is called). We see them in SD, but the image is much more sharp and clear because these are not old-fashioned SD dubs from 35 mm film to smaller CCDs (smaller old imaging devices).

There is an intermediate image quality between SD and HDTV, and that is what we are seeing with these new kinds of high-quality dubs.

On the other hand, the George O'Brien film looks like an HDTV dub from a 16 mm print. The fuzziness is due to the smaller print size of the film itself, and also the print shows signs of being a copy from a copy from a copy from a copy of an old TV print.

Thanks for all the information, everyone.

I used to see Charles Starrett films in theaters in the late 1940s.

After all the years of watching old Westerns on TV, these new TCM prints from 35 mm originals are the best quality. Almost like watching the film on the big screen. :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings