Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jake's Blast from the Past...

JakeHolman

4411705508_ab15d95831.jpg

If I were an artist like you I would draw a true picture of Traveller — representing his fine proportions, muscular figure, deep chest and short back, strong haunches, flat legs, small head, broad forehead, delicate ears, quick eye, small feet, and black mane and tail. Such a picture would inspire a poet, whose genius could then depict his worth and describe his endurance of toil, hunger, thirst, heat, and cold, and the dangers and sufferings through which he passed. He could dilate upon his sagacity and affection and his invariable response to every wish of his rider. He might even imagine his thoughts, through the long night marches and days of battle through which he has passed. But I am no artist; I can only say he is a Confederate grey.

General Robert E. Lee

Jake in the Heartland

The Florida State Fair is held here in Tampa and one of my don't-miss stops is the horse stables. Each one is beautiful in his/her own way, lovable in temperment and graceful in action. No matter my mood going in I'm always lifted up by the time I've left.

No wonder Lee loved this horse; it seemed like the perfect partnership. Of course he was Confederate grey; how could he have been anything else. Thank you, Jake, for the photo as I've never seen Robert E. Lee Before.

Star, thank you for the kind words and don't think I don't appreciate

and respect you coming forward and stating some of the things you

have said about the South and the Confederacy in the past. I do

remember.

We don't always agree but I like your honesty and courage.

Florida might be the best college football team in the country right now

but the timing is not right for the Gators.

Life ain't fair.

Your friend,

Jake

dooley-567x394.jpg

Coach Vince Dooley, Georgia, carried off the field after victory over GA Tech.

3410418114_8440fc6396.jpg

Legendary coach Paul Bear Bryant, Alabama, carried off the field after beating arch rival Auburn.

Today, both of these great football traditions will play for the SEC Championship and

the winner will go on to play legendary Notre Dame for the National Championship.

Jake in the Heartland

YOU CAN"T BEAT THE SEC!

Thank you, Jake, for not letting us down with your photo spread.

What a game this was! Neither side needs to hang their heads. Add last week's UF game against FSU and you see why it's the toughest conference in college football. Notre Dame, you are forewarned; the Red Tide is coming after you.

Like most Catholics I have a soft spot for ND but it's certainly hard not to like all those good old Southern country boys who play to win. Right now I have a hankering for some ribs rather than corned beef and cabbage.

Sunday afternoon-Belated congrats to FSU for winning the ACC last night. You, too, get a bowl bid. As long as it's not against us Gators, good luck.

Hi Star,

Yes, the SEC is the best overall conference. But Notre Dame

is for real. At first, I thought they were nothing but hype but as the

season progressed the QB got much better and the defense is

big and quick. They have an excellent coach and will give Bama

all they can handle. They are for real.

It will be interesting to see the Vegas odds on the game.

By the way, the last time Bama played Notre Dame, they had

Nuns in the stands rooting for Bama.

The South is diverse contrary to what the stereotype is about

the region.

Merry Christmas.

Jake

628x471.jpg

Two legendary coaches: Paul Bear Bryant and Ara Parseghian.

1973 Sugar Bowl where Alabama met Notre Dame in Tulane Stadium

for the National Championship. The best game I ever saw for all the

marbles in college football.

ND won 24 to 23. Bear never beat ND.

Jake in the Heartland

:D Jake: Thank you for these beautiful photos but might I please have a 1956 Chevy Bel-Air 4- door sedan? That is still my favorite classic car and I was heartbroken that my family couldn't afford one.

It's funny you should start posting cars as last week-end I got "up close and personal" with a 58 Chevy Biscayne red and white sedan and 48 black Cadillac. A fellow in north Tampa used to drive a red and white Edsel with the horseshoe front that I always thought was nice looking. Back then not only each company's cars but each company's makes were totally different from the others and I can usually identity them by name and year (that's what made watching *Highway Patrol* so much fun as everybody's cars made it into the episodes). The above Caddie was the exception; I had it pegged for 1953 or 54 but the owner said the bodies were fairly similar until 1955.

When I was a kid, back in the mid-50s, I could tell you what make a car was from its taillights at night. My parents had a '55 Bel Aire, two-tone olive and yellow. My grandmother bought a '56 Bel Aire, turquoise and white. In '62, we had a '59 DeSoto, and a '53 Pontiac convertible.

Jake, seeing that Rambler brought back memories for me, too. In my family there was a Studebaker Lark, which looked a lot like your old American.

The earliest family car I can remember in my childhood was a 1954 Studebaker Champion, although the oldest photo of my brothers and sister and me is with this car, which was before that. The grill looked like it had andirons!

34rc6lx.png

My sister didn't look so happy about it, but it's my blast from the past.

I bought a 62 Lark for next to nuthin', in '68. It had a big engine, but a tiny carb. Weird, but I liked it. What I really would have liked to have, though, was a Studebaker Super Hawk, or an Avanti, or even a Gran Turismo.

In 1964 I lived in Lakeland near a small college where it seemed everybody had a VW Beetle in more colors than you can imagine. Then came the Mustang and seemingly overnight the bugs became horses. Oval windows or oblong nothing looked like a Beetle. The new ones that came out recently were okay but bigger and more angular than the original.

Hi Star,

2761091223_18af57142b_z.jpg

4082080030_0337a9973e_z.jpg?zz=1

*1965 Mustang Classic* -- Lee Iacocca and the engineer who

designed it.

6133807786_abccc46e24_z.jpg

Merry Christmas

Jake

Edited by: JakeHolman on Dec 15, 2012 10:31 AM

Archived