Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jeanne Crain Greatest Classic Films Collection

squalie10

TCM:

We want a Jeanne Crain Greatest Classic Films Collection. It should have Margie, Apartment for Peggy, Pinky and You Were Meant For Me. They have been criminally ignored for too long. How can Margie and Apartment for Peggy not have legitimate releases? I could see you guys doing a great job producing and releasing this.

Thanks from Jeanne Crain fans everywhere.

I would love to see more of Jeanne Crain's movies out on DVD, especially the outstanding APARTMENT FOR PEGGY.

Another, less well known movie of hers that I always enjoy (I recorded it from FMC) is TAKE CARE OF MY LITTLE GIRL. It's a very well done light drama about the pitfalls of getting too caught up in sororities and fraternities in college. I vaguely remember Martin Scorsese mentioning it several years ago as the kind of standard fare that actually provides more than you'd expect. It deserves a DVD release, too.

I'm not sure if TCM can help us with her movies, however, since she worked mostly for 20th Century-Fox during her heyday. But if anyone can get a good set out for Ms. Crain, I'd buy it in a second.

There are several of her movies on DVD already -- e.g., the first musical version of STATE FAIR, the excellent Joseph Mankiewicz dramas PEOPLE WILL TALK (co-starring Cary Grant) and A LETTER TO THREE WIVES, and the original CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN and its sequel BELLES ON THEIR TOES -- but Ms. Crain definitely deserves fuller recognition for her fine work. I always enjoy her movies, in part just because she's in them.

THANK YOU, squalie!!!! I couldn't agree more. I'd add "Leave Her to Heaven" to the collection to further boost marketing.

I love "Margie" so much and my VHS bootleg was wearing out, so I resorted to a bootleg home-made DVD on eBay. I totally overpaid for it.

I concur. Her oscar-nominated role is on DVD, PINKY, as are her two Manziewicz films. Others include two from 1953, both as part of the Fox Film Noir series: DANGEROUS CROSSING and VICKIE (neither among her best IMHO).

Besides those mentioned on this thread, other outstanding films that deserve a release include CENTENNIAL SUMMER, a colorful musical with an all-star cast; THE MODEL AND THE MARRIAGE-BROKER, also featuring Thelma Ritter as the the other titular role (guess who was which); and THE FAN, with a surprisingly effective Jeanne in an underrated Preminger adaptation of Wilde's "Lady Windermere's Fan".

*She's an amazing lady. I think I read that she has eight children!*

She lost out on a number of roles due to her pregnancies (although I thought she "only" had seven children. Among them are included;

CHICKEN EVERY SUNDAY - Celeste Holm did it

YOU'RE MY EVERYTHING - Anne Baxter

MOTHER DIDN'T TELL ME - Dorothy McGuire

ALL ABOUT EVE - Anne Baxter

I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN - Susan Hayward

SOMETHING FOR THE BIRDS - Patricia Neal

Some other movies meant for her were cancelled when she became pregnant, and were never filmed.

On the other hand, she BEGGED Darryl Zanuck to hold off on casting PINKY until she had her baby and came back from maternity leave. Zanuck obliged, providing Jeanne with the highlight of her career. And just as Anne Baxter inherited ALL ABOUT EVE when Jeanne became pregnant, Jeanne got PEOPLE WILL TALK, meant for Baxter, when Baxter became pregnant.

Edited by: Arturo on Oct 11, 2012 8:18 PM

I don't think the correction about the number of children was necessary. The point is that she had a large family.

I am going to feature her soon in the WANTED thread. I've already written it.

Some of her Fox titles have not been mentioned in the thread yet. Among them: HOME IN INDIANA; WINGED VICTORY; IN THE MEANTIME, DARLING; YOU WERE MEANT FOR ME; CITY OF BAD MEN; and MADISON AVENUE. She also appears in one of the segments of O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE.

Also, she found a measure of success away from Fox in 1950s: MAN WITHOUT A STAR; FASTEST GUN ALIVE; and THE JOKER IS WILD.

YOU WERE MEANT FOR ME was mentioned by the original poster.

Jeanne Crain desperately wanted some roles that she did not get. She really wanted to be in the Jane Froman biopic WITH A SONG IN MY HEART (1952), and was almost cast in it, but Froman preferred Susan Hayward, feeling, among other things, that Hayward more closely resembled her. Part of Jeanne's chafing with the roles she was offered at Fox, once the studio got over making her a gushing co-ed in pigtails at every opportunity, was that 20th didn't assign her more musicals. Which explains her wanting to do WASIMH. Also, she really wanted to do 1953's GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES (as blonde Lorilei Lee), and knew that Fox was wavering on giving it to Betty Grable (for whom it had been bought) or new musical star Mitzi Gaynor (Anne Baxter also wanted the part, and had dyed her hair blonde in 1952). In the end, we all know new sensation Marilyn Monroe got it. Interesting footnote: Jeanne Crain starred in a sort-of sequel (prequel) to this, along with Monroe's partner Jane Russell: GENTLEMEN MARRY BRUNETTES (1955). When they went to France to film, Crain's new sexpot image actually helped her upstage Russell.

Crain also badly wanted to do THE ROBE (1953). She turned down THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN (1954) because she did not want to leave her children at that time to film in Rome (Jean Peters did it instead). Soon after this, she requested out of her contract with Fox, fed up with her struggles for roles, and tried her hand at freelancing.

To the original poster, realize that Jeanne Crain classics include more than her Fox output. She made classics at other studios. The Turner Library has some of them, particularly her pictures at MGM and Warners.

What TCM could do, and it is something that I think would work very well, would be to show all four films that Crain made with Dana Andrews. That would get high ratings. Hint, hint.

TopBilled, I'm glad you mentioned "Man Without a Star." This is a very good Western with Kirk Douglas and Claire Trevor. And I like Jeanne Crain's character in this. After leaving Fox, she signed with Universal and made a few films there, including the Western mentioned above, and two little-known movies, "The Tattered Dress" with Jeff Chandler, and a musical called "The Second Greatest Sex." As I recall, this is a very entertaining musical. Just some thoughts on the wonderful Ms. Crain.

Terrencve.

>Oh, that's right! STATE FAIR! and it WAS an older-looking Crain in HOT RODS TO HELL.

What about the other two titles, DUEL IN THE JUNGLE and MADISON AVENUE...? My guess is that you might be familiar with what usually pops up on TCM. A Jeanne Crain completist will care about the other films, too.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}

> ...What about the other two titles, DUEL IN THE JUNGLE and MADISON AVENUE...? My guess is that you might be familiar with what usually pops up on TCM. A Jeanne Crain completist will care about the other films, too.

MADISON AVENUE has been shown recently (and repeatedly) on the Fox Movie Channel. I've recorded but haven't watched it yet -- it sounds interesting. Not sure about DUEL IN THE JUNGLE.

*DUEL IN THE JUNGLE is a Warner Bros. picture from the 1950s. Has it ever aired on TCM?*

I have it taped on VHS, which means it's been awhile since I noticed that it was being shown. However, I don't know if I got it from TCM, or some other source like AMC.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings