Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix To Groove Hard To!!!! Week of October 15th!!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To!!! Week of October 15th!!!

First a hearty shoutout to wee hours of Sunday night/Monday morning, where we find a true Fritz Lang classic, DAS TESTAMENT DES DR. MABUSE (1933)!!! Followed by Conrad Veidt and Valerie Hobson in the British thriller, CONTRABAND (1940)!! Dig it!!

Monday nights (and a good part of Tuesdays daytime!) belong to Spence, STOM for October and the two flicks I'm most looking forward to grooving to are SAN FRANCISCO (1936) mainly cos I've been grooving hard to Clark Gable lately and I haven't seen this classic in a long time, and the other pairs Spence again with Jimmy Stewart in MALAYA (1949) which airs Tuesday morning at 8:30AM EST!! Always dug this flick and want to check it again!

Tuesday nights are devoted to Disabilities on Film all month long, "The Projected Image" and this week we kick it off with one of my faves, EYES IN THE NIGHT (1942) which is one flick featuring blind detective Duncan MacLain (played by Edward Arnold)! This one also features Ann Harding and Donna Reed!!! Far out! This is followed by a suspense flick that I've not seen before but sounds rockin', 23 PACES TO BAKER STREET (1956), with Van Johnson starring as a blind playwright who gets involved in a crime, also featuring Vera Miles!! And of course, the poignant classic, JOHNNY BELINDA (1948) with Jane Wyman tearing it up, along with Lew Ayres and Charles Bickford! Sentimental fave time!

Speaking of sentimental faves, two Capra-corn flix show up early Wednesday daytime, MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON (yeah it was just on recently, but I'm a sucka for it!!), followed by Edward Arnold yet again (this time a bit more sympathetic a character) in YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU (1938)!! Sexy Ginger Rogers shows up with Ronald Colman and Jack Carson in the 1940 LUCKY PARTNERS, followed by the gorgeous Merle Oberon, Dennis Morgan and a young Rita Hayworth in AFFECTIONATELY YOURS (1941)!! Screwball comedies abound!

Wednesdays are about classic horror and this week TCM is breaking out the Hammer heavy hitters, with one of horrordom's most outrageously cool and wicked team-ups EVER--Christoper Lee and Peter Cushing give rise to new interpretations of some classic horror icons--HORROR OF DRACULA (1958), THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1957), and THE MUMMY (1959)!!!

Thursday daytime is a tribute to the lovely Miriam Hopkins, and grooving I will be to this beautiful lady in WISE GIRL (1937), with Ray Milland, WOMAN CHASES MAN (1937) with TCM board favorite Joel McCrea!!, and LADY WITH RED HAIR (1940) with Claude Rains!!

Just before prime time on Thursday night, gotta check out the 1964 THE CROOKED ROAD with Robert Ryan and Stewart Granger! Never saw it before, but it looks rad!

Friday daytime kicks off at 6am EST with Cary Grant in a bit of an off-beat role for him, CRISIS (1950) which is a flick I enjoyed when I saw it a long time ago, want to check it again! Ramon Novarro also shows up along with Paula Raymond, Signe Hasso, and Jose Ferrer!! Next up is a light crime noir, THE LIGHT TOUCH (1952) appropriately titled, with Pier Angeli, Stewart Granger and George Sanders!!!

Gotta groove to one of my favorite noir's, THE GLASS KEY (1942) on Friday evening, 10:15pm EST, with my main man, Brian Donlevy, the sexy drop dead gorgeous Veronica Lake, and Alan Ladd, who gets pummelled pretty badly by William Bendix in this flick! Must-see viewing!!

Saturday morning is gonna rock the house, first up at 6am EST with Clark Gable and Jean Harlow steaming it up in the racy pre-code RED DUST (1932), also with Mary Astor and Gene Raymond!! This is followed by a cool understated noir, SHADOW OF A WOMAN (1946) with the sexy Andrea King!!! Gotta check this one out if you've never seen it, it's low-budget but a winner!!! Next it's a block of horror, first up with a Val Lewton gem, starring Boris Karloff, ISLE OF THE DEAD (1945)!! Then Peter Cushing shows up in a Frankenstein/Hammer double feature: THE REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1958) and FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN (1966)!!! Vincent Price gets into the act in DIARY OF A MADMAN (1963)!!

Sunday night is grooving with rare animation through the evening and late night--animated flix from the 30's, 40's, 50's and silent era are featured throughout!! Pretty darn coolio!!! And late Sunday gotta check out CARNIVAL OF SINNERS (1943) a French thriller/horror flick!!! Rounding out the night and week are a couple of B crime flix, starting at the appropriate time of 3:45am EST!!!---MISSING WITNESSES (1937) with John Litel and Dick Purcell, followed by Anthony Quinn in BULLETS FOR O'HARA (1941)!!! Dig it!!!

Thank you, TCM, for another coolio week of groovy flix!!!

As always you caught some things I didn't notice Mark. One thing you didn't mention is the Mervyn LeRoy birthday tribute on Monday October 15. TCM is focusing on the latter part of his career when his films were much more long winded than his early work at WB, but I haven't seen some of these before and I think I'll record them and give them a try. Of all of them I think you'd probably like "The FBI Story" with James Stewart the best.

Calvininme, I did kinda overlook the LeRoy tribute, as I dig his early WB output sooooo much better, but you're right, I think I would dig on THE FBI STORY!!! I missed your post in time to DVR it, so hopefully TCM will show it again! I do think I saw it a lonnnng time ago though, but can't recall too well. Rock it!

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}You neglected to mention Flamingo Road (1949) is coming on Friday night at 11:45. A must for fans of Warner Bros, high powered melodramas, Michael Curtiz, Sydney Greenstreet and, of course, La Crawford.

>

> images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxyGx-cgTWv-7ew0OGBz_

It's a rockin' flick! Thanks for the shout out! I agree, it's a don't miss flick!

Really looking forward to an old fave, EYES IN THE NIGHT (1942) tonight in primetime 8pm EST on TCM!!! This was supposed to be a series featuring Edward Arnold as blind detective Duncan MacLain, I think, but they ended up only making one more with the character, 3 years later. Edward Arnold rocks it in pretty much whatever he's in and there is a great cast and a fun mystery here! Don't miss it!!! It's totally groovy!!

*23 Paces to Baker Street* was a wonderful movie! I am very happy TCM brings us such quiet and rare movies.

I am awaiting *Cops and Robbers* (1973) as I saw only part of it when it was aired previously.

Sunday night's animation is a grand schedule! I have never seen and I know nearly nothing about them. What little I do know of them makes me anxious to watch them!

I will surely be groovin'

:)

Thursday daytime is a tribute to the lovely Miriam Hopkins, and grooving I will be to this beautiful lady in WISE GIRL (1937), with Ray Milland, WOMAN CHASES MAN (1937) with TCM board favorite Joel McCrea!!, and LADY WITH RED HAIR (1940) with Claude Rains!!

Ouch. She was bad in costume dramas. I know she did other movies, I wonder why all the costume dramas? Bad, really bad.

Just before prime time on Thursday night, gotta check out the 1964 THE CROOKED ROAD with Robert Ryan and Stewart Granger! Never saw it before, but it looks rad!

Hmmmm, that sounds interesting, thanks for the heads up. I love me some Robert Ryan or Sterling Hayden, either is yummy, even if it is a horrific post 1960s film. :)

Friday daytime kicks off at 6am EST with Cary Grant in a bit of an off-beat role for him, CRISIS (1950) which is a flick I enjoyed when I saw it a long time ago, want to check it again! Ramon Novarro also shows up along with Paula Raymond, Signe Hasso, and Jose Ferrer!!

I am not a fan of old Cary, but again this sounds interesting, worth at least a few minutes of look-see.

Next up is a light crime noir, THE LIGHT TOUCH (1952) appropriately titled, with Pier Angeli, Stewart Granger and George Sanders!!!

Noir, you say? Based on your say-so, I'll try it.

Gotta groove to one of my favorite noir's, THE GLASS KEY (1942) on Friday evening, 10:15pm EST, with my main man, Brian Donlevy, the sexy drop dead gorgeous Veronica Lake, and Alan Ladd, who gets pummelled pretty badly by William Bendix in this flick! Must-see viewing!!

Yes, that was a good one, definitely worth a re-watch.

Saturday morning is gonna rock the house, first up at 6am EST with Clark Gable and Jean Harlow steaming it up in the racy pre-code RED DUST (1932), also with Mary Astor and Gene Raymond!!

I hate Gable, but will tune in for Gene Raymond, a much underrated actor, and of course the gorgeous Harlow.

This is followed by a cool understated noir, SHADOW OF A WOMAN (1946) with the sexy Andrea King!!!

Noir, you say? Again, I'm there!

*mark, you rock.* :):):):):)

Well, at least it's in black and white and Robert Ryan is still hot.

But 'Organia'? Seriously? Why not 'Freedonia' while they were at it.

Oh well, better than nothing.

Where was it filmed, anyone know?

Not sure if you'll like CRISIS (and it seems you didn't!!), I just dug it because it felt like a different kind of Cary Grant flick to me. I'm not a huge fan of his, overall, but this one kinda worked for me. Course it's been a while since I've seen it, will have to check it again when I have a chance to catch this morning's screening.

Also not sure if you'll dig THE LIGHT TOUCH. It's definitely LITE noir! But I, again, had some fond memories of it, so I'll be checking it out again too!

As for SHADOW OF A WOMAN, low-budget, but I grooved hard to that one, and can't WAIT to see it again!

Hey, no problemo mark! What a boring board it would be if we all liked the same movies. :)

I still anticipate your heads up, so thank you.

But darn it, I forgot that The Light Touch was on, although Stewart Granger makes my teeth itch. I was 'grooving' to Ray Milland in Lost Weekend on a pay channel, a movie I haven't seen in awhile.

I look forward to Shadow Of A Woman.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings