Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A tale of TCM horror worthy of Halloween

LsDoorMat

Maybe the TCM schedule will show up in a few hours and make this whole thread obsolete - I hope so. As I am writing this there is nothing - zilch, zip, nada - about January 2013 on the TCM website and it's already the middle of the month.

Could it be perhaps because there is a pending ..........FORMAT CHANGE on the horizon for 2013????

Remember how AMC didn't advertise this either until the morning we woke up and there were all of those adolescent twerps going on and on about how they were movie people???

Imagine awakening January 1, 2013 to Bruce Willis' smiling face in 1998's Armageddon. Oh the horror!

And then what becomes of the TCM Cruise if this is true? Can you imagine Robert O at the Captain's Table having a serious discussion on the many merits of "Legally Blonde" or 2002's "Phone Booth"???

Maybe Drew Barrymore will finally get to replace those guns with walkie talkies in her alternate cut of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" if youngsters take over the channel??

Sorry to do this, but I don't know why I should worry about this alone. Plus sometimes I just like to stir the pot.

Who knows, maybe a lot of the current contracts expire on December 31 and until things are nailed down, the programmers are having a hard time putting a schedule together without the likes of FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, A FACE IN THE CROWD, NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and NORTH BY NORTHWEST. ;)

Wouldn't it be funny if one division of Time Warner (TCM) was being hardballed by another division (the syndication division) and subject to huge increases for the corporate library?

I've been wondering. Usually you provide us with a sneak preview of the schedule the programmers are working within a week of a new month. I hope it isn't anything we'll all regret.Maybe TCM is working on some deals with the various distributors to bring us some titles that haven't aired previously on TCM and their still working on the fine points of the deal. One can only hope. I hope you keep working on providing us with that sneak peek. One consolation, TCM should make the schedule public in a couple weeks.

well, you are *the man* when it comes to scheduling data. Personal curiosity: how many times has From Here to Eternity aired over the last 2 (or so) years?

Maybe it's the fact that *I really like* Night of the Hunter, so it doesn't bug me with the multiple airings the way, oh, let's say Sex and the Single Girl, 55 Days at Peking and The Wind and the Lion do. But then again, I really like The Third Man and *I know* there's a problem with that one airing right and left, (another thing to blame on the Guest Programmers.)

*I feel like tacking on that the last two years have seen* *tremendous improvements* in the schedule, in my opinion at least. *Lots and lots of premieres*, rare titles unveiled ( Night Flight, Temple Drake, Constant Nymph ) and less reliance- it seems to me at least- on Ye Standarde Suspectes than there had been pre-2011.

For the years 2009 and 2010, *I'd (honestly) give the programming and scheduling a* *D.* That's harsh, I know, but things *were getting bad*. *For 2011 and 2012 I'd give the scheduling an* *A* (even considering some of the issues I've had with the iffy tributes and inn-teresting things airings at 2:00 am.)

There has been a *marked improvement* and a lot of new blood, so it really does scare me to think that maybe the future is uncertain for 2013.

(of course when is the future not uncertain?)

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Oct 13, 2012 2:35 PM

I have FROM HERE TO ETERNITY listed as running from here to eternity. From January 2009 - December 2012, it shows up on 24 different monthly schedules.

NORTH BY NORTHWEST shows up 20 times over the same period.

I'd agree that the last couple of years have shown improvement. Even if it's just a matter of getting something such as ME AND MY GAL (which I didn't care for despite being a Walsh fan) and a John Payne or Phil Karlson tribute into prime time, it shows some willingness to highlight that which normally goes unheralded or worse, unaired at all.

Tonight, yes THE THIRD MAN is getting unspooled again, but it's followed by a Robert Krasker tribute so it's nice to see a cinematographer getting a nod as they have to be among the least discussed prime components of any motion picture. Getting THE THIRD MAN and BRIEF ENCOUNTER on one night is a treat in my book.

Of course, something has to get the graveyard shift, a shame that it has to be BILLY BUDD.

> {quote:title=aimalac wrote:}{quote}I've been wondering. Usually you provide us with a sneak preview of the schedule the programmers are working within a week of a new month. I hope it isn't anything we'll all regret.Maybe TCM is working on some deals with the various distributors to bring us some titles that haven't aired previously on TCM and their still working on the fine points of the deal. One can only hope. I hope you keep working on providing us with that sneak peek. One consolation, TCM should make the schedule public in a couple weeks.

I've tried every trick in my book and there is nothing out there on the January 2013 TCM schedule. I'll continue to post the schedule as long as the information is out there, but as of today there is nothing out there.

The entire process of creating schedules and licensing movies to fit them must be very expensive.

It may perhaps be that the executives would rather spend that money on recreation now than to invest it in a thing which will not be used if the world truly ends on schedule on 21Dec12.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}I have FROM HERE TO ETERNITY listed as running from here to eternity. From January 2009 - December 2012, it shows up on 24 different monthly schedules.

>

> I'd agree that the last couple of years have shown improvement. Even if it's just a matter of getting something such as ME AND MY GAL (which I didn't care for despite being a Walsh fan)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Tonight, yes THE THIRD MAN is getting unspooled again,

>

I knew FHtE aired a lot, but *damn.* Personally, I don't much care for the film- was kind of "meh" the first time I sat through it a couple of years ago (Monty Clift really *should've stopped* when the MPs said to, period) and I like it less and less each time I sit through some, most, or all of it (and clearly, I don't lack for opportunities to do so.) I'd much rather watch NbNW any day of the week, it's a film that I don't mind having on at all. Funny how it's the one people really kvetch about when Eternity has it beat by at least 4 airings (or so.)

You are in good company when it comes to Me and My Gal. It was discussed in a couple of threads and I *dare to say not many people voiced much affection for it.* And this in spite of the fact that we have a lot of pre-code, 30's films, Spencer Tracy, Joan Bennett and Raoul Walsh fans. (Personally I'm five for five on those and I didn't like it either.)

I pulled The Third Man out of my *** as an example. I actually had no idea it was actually coming on tonight and as a selection of a "Guest Programmer."

They did show the wonderful Fox comedy Sitting Pretty today so, you know, let's take what we're getting while the gettin's good.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Oct 13, 2012 8:56 PM

The thing about FROM HERE TO ETERNITY is that it's a frequent "tribute" film. It's aired for fests honoring Lancaster, Kerr, Sinatra, Clift, Reed, Zinnemann and if there's any life left in the contract after December, maybe one day it will air as part of a George Reeves or Mickey Shaughnessy day.

Not that you asked, but MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON only lags behind ETERNITY by one airing - 23 times since January 2009. The good news is that it doesn't show up for the rest of the year.

Tomorrow we get MY FAIR LADY again which has shown up 15 times since January 2009. That's fairly often and while I don't dislike it, at this point all I care for is Stanley Halloway's "With a Little Bit of Luck" and then I go back to vacuuming or whatever chore is at hand.

Seems to me we went through this last year when a schedule was "late".

While it's fun to look ahead, I sometimes feel that TCM does itself a disservice by putting their schedule out months in advance. As far as I know, it's the only network that does. Most only go out 4-6 weeks.

Putting a schedule out so far ahead just seems to get people worked up. They see a schedule three months in advance (knowing full well that schedules are always subject to change) and then complain when changes happen and if for some reason they think a schedule is late then they start looking for sinister reasons.

Take a deep breath and relax folks. There's a lot or reasons why some schedules come out later than others and none of them involve what you're suggesting.

Ugh, every time I think the format change talk disappears someone has to trip into it once again, like the clumsy waiter carrying a tray of plates in some crappy farce.

This same thing with the schedule has happened several times over the years. It's nothing. No need to go OCD over it.

> {quote:title=JonasEB wrote:}{quote}Ugh, every time I think the format change talk disappears someone has to trip into it once again, like the clumsy waiter carrying a tray of plates in some crappy farce.

>

> This same thing with the schedule has happened several times over the years. It's nothing. No need to go OCD over it.

Be reasonable! I have to be OCD over something! :)

No, seriously, this thread is part joke because of some of the weird mental images a TCM format change conjures up - don't you think Robert Osborne would be tempted to fake his own death rather than do wrap arounds for Big Mama's House??? - and partially serious because it is the first month of a new year that is "late" in the sense that I can usually find pieces of the schedule laying around by now. If a format change DID occur, January 1 would be a likely date for it.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}Who knows, maybe a lot of the current contracts expire on December 31 and until things are nailed down, the programmers are having a hard time putting a schedule together without the likes of FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, A FACE IN THE CROWD, NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and NORTH BY NORTHWEST. ;)

>

>

>

> Wouldn't it be funny if one division of Time Warner (TCM) was being hardballed by another division (the syndication division) and subject to huge increases for the corporate library?

Not from any personal knowledge other than what I've read on these boards I know that Columbia films will largely be absent from TCM at the end of this year. They've been around since TCM started and it will probably be hard to program schedules without them.I don't know if a new agreement has to be worked out with Fox and who knows if they want to be difficult.

Although I know TCM has to rent their own former library, I would imagine that it is more difficult to get Warner Bros. to part with the post 1948 Warner Bros. films that were never in the Turner library to begin with versus the original Turner library. To me WB making it hard for TCM to operate is rather silly since WB should look at TCM as a showcase for what they are trying to sell in the Warner Archive.

<Getting THE THIRD MAN and BRIEF ENCOUNTER on one night is a treat in my book.

Of course, something has to get the graveyard shift, a shame that it has to be BILLY BUDD.>

The very same thoughts ran through my head, clore. Luckily, I have all three on DVD and can watch at my leisure.

Morbid curiousity lead me to viewing the RO/DB intro for "The Third Man." There's no way to say it nicely. DB is a dunce. She makes women look so bad. It's got to be "an act." No one could have the insider experience that she does and still be so stoopid. Has she not learned that it's OK for women to show their intelligence in 2012 -- that it's not necessary to act silly/cute to be liked? Or, do the segment editors pick the worst bits to make her look even worse?

I noticed that Drew was rather put off on the film at first, then came around once she convincecd herself that the "Dutch angles" and "ubitquitous zither music" did tickle her fancy. OK, fine, but I have less annoyance with what she says than the way she says it. Words such as "no" and "so" have two syllables in Drew-speak, and she says "that" as if she's overdosed on Leo Gorcey movies.

> {quote:title=dpompper wrote:}{quote}

>

> Morbid curiousity lead me to viewing the RO/DB intro for "The Third Man." There's no way to say it nicely. DB is a dunce. She makes women look so bad. *It's got to be "an act*."

>

If I may "defend" La Barrymore, I put forth that her stupidity is quite genuine and uncontrived, and remember *she's not that good an actress to so successfully put something across the fence.*

I missed the intro, but I caught the outro (couldn't find anything I felt like watching on YouTube.) I was surprised that she used the term "on tenterhooks" accurately and that she was able to point out something about the film (the similarity of the shots involving the funerals at the beginning and end) that showed she has some degree of mental acuity.

Could not help but notice that her Valley Girl bit seems to be affecting Osborne, I recall him referring to the ending as "cool," Lord help us all.

I wonder if anybody had noticed that the final movie scheduled on December 31st is TIL WE MEET AGAIN - which could sound a bit ominous. But we can breath a sigh of relief now as a few things are finally showing up for January. Here is what I've got so far.

IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953) on Jan. 4th

SOME CAME RUNNING (1959) on Jan. 24th

REBECCA (1940) on Jan. 22nd

And a boatload of Elvis Presley movies on Jan. 8th

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/person/155137%7C47277/Elvis-Presley/

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings