Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Loretta Young's legacy: Films, sainthood, victimized by Clark Gable

*Laugh Clown Laugh (1928) with Lon Chaney & Bernard Siegel*

*In this silent film, a professional clown and a count help each other with their problems, but become romantic rivals.*

*Platinum Blonde (1931) with Robert Williams & Jean Harlow*

*In this pre-code, a young woman from a wealthy family impulsively marries a reporter.*

*Taxi (1932) with James Cagney & George E. Stone*

*Drivers struggle against a cab company.*

*Life Begins (1932) with Eric Linden & Aline MacMahon*

*Comedy and tragedy about a hospital maternity staff and their patients.*

*The Squall (1929) with Myrna Loy & Richard Tucker*

*Hungarian farmers take in a Gypsy girl who runs away from her cruel master.*

*The Show of Shows (1929) with Frank Fay & H.B. Warner*

*A grandiose music comedy revue. Loretta is a performer in the 'Meet My Sister' number*

TB,

Actually the first day of her tribute continues into the early morning hours with:

LOOSE ANKLES (1930)

I LIKE YOUR NERVE (1931)

ROAD TO PARADISE (1930)

THE TRUTH ABOUT YOUTH (1930)

I caught part of it, too, just before Cabin in the Sky started. Very nice promo. I'm really looking forward to the Loretta Young films tonight though I'll have to record them since I'm getting over a really bad cold.

At least our office is still closed for the holiday so I get to be home for the ghost movies today. I'd never heard of The Cockeyed Miracle but recorded it because of the cast. Love Cabin in the Sky & A Matter of Life & Death; really like Here Comes Mr. Jordan. I've never seen Angel on My Shoulder but, again, good cast so I'm interested. Though I wish Castle in the Sky (which I've not seen) and Blithe Spirit (saw once many years ago & loved) had been scheduled as well.

> {quote:title=Calamity wrote:}{quote}Though I wish Castle in the Sky (which I've not seen) and Blithe Spirit (saw once many years ago & loved) had been scheduled as well.

Last I checked, Blithe Spirit was available in full on youtube. It's not the best way to watch something, but it's better than nothing.

I like THE SHOW OF SHOWS. I looked at the credits for this picture on the IMDB, and there she is, way down the list, after countless other performers. Who would have thought that she would sky-rocket to fame so quickly.

TopBilled, I can barely contain my excitement over tonight's lineup, especially SHOW OF SHOWS. One of those early talkie musical revues that didn't have much plot and a lot of just goofing around and singing and dancing, I love it though!!!

Yeah, Loretta really emerged, and well she should have!!! She rocks! And the flix TCM is screening totally rock!

>Is this like New Year's Eve or what?

It seems like it. I know that I am sure excited!

I found a copy of LADIES COURAGEOUS I have, a film she made at Universal in the mid-1940s. I plan to watch it tomorrow after TCM's first evening of this tribute.

Her birthday is on Sunday the 6th, and Palm Springs, California is declaring that *Loretta Young Day*.

*Her birthday is on Sunday the 6th, and Palm Springs, California is declaring that Loretta Young Day.*

Wow that's awesome. I wonder if they have anything special planned. Maybe I can swing down there for the day, although I have to be back that evening for the cutting of the Rosca.

Yes, Arturo. There a few special events planned.

First, the city will rededicate her star on their Walk of Stars, where Palm Springs' mayor will make a Loretta Young Day proclamation. And the Desert Regional Medical Center will rededicate its Loretta Young Memorial Chapel.

You may want to call the Chamber of Commerce to see what time each of these events occur.

Then, on Tuesday January 15th, Melvyn's Restaurant will present Loretta Young Memories as part of its 'Dinner With...' series.

Platinum Blonde was not a terribly good choice as the second feature tonight. While Loretta is luminous in her scenes, they're few and far between. The bizarro casting ( *why* was Young not in Harlow's role and Harlow in Young's???) does not help, nor does the glib script, iffy performance from a still-learning Harlow and the *awful* performance from the male lead.

Not since The Smiling Lieutenant has there been a movie where the exact reason why *any woman* would *EVER* find the male protagonist anything other than *utterly loathsome* was more beyond me.

Ick.

ps- a front page headline in this thing reads "CINDERELLA MAN GROWS HAIR ON CHEST." For real, Capra?

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jan 2, 2013 10:33 PM

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}Platinum Blonde was not a terribly good choice as the second feature tonight. While Loretta is luminous in her scenes, they're few and far between. The bizarro casting ( *why* was Young not in Harlow's role and Harlow in Young's???) does not help, nor does the glib script, iffy performance from a still-learning Harlow and the *awful* performance from the male lead.

>

> Not since The Smiling Lieutenant has there been a movie where the exact reason why *any woman* would *EVER* find the male protagonist anything other than *utterly loathsome* was more beyond me.

>

>

> Ick.

>

> ps- a front page headline in this thing reads "CINDERELLA MAN GROWS HAIR ON CHEST." For real, Capra?

>

> Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Jan 2, 2013 10:33 PM

>

Keep in mind Young was 18 and Harlow 20 when this was filmed, so both were playing characters much older than their actual ages. At that point in her career, I doubt Jean could have showed the on-screen street smarts to play a newspaper reporter -- but she had already proven she had box-office appeal, so it's no wonder she was hired to play the socialite. (And the "awful" performance from the male lead? Have to disagree. Robert Williams was showing elements of the new-style '30s leading man best exemplified by Gable and Cagney; he's not fully developed in the role, but he gives it energy. He is one of the major "what might have beens" of the 1930s.)

it's worth noting that the TCMDB link for Robert Williams via Platinum Blonde sends you to a *totally different Robert Williams.*

I blame Capra more for not knowing, or wanting, to reign in Williams' performance. Yes, he has some funny moments but he is, IMO, *insufferable for nearly the entire film*. The scene where he and Harlow sing (ad lib?) the song about wearing garters actually had me screaming, George C. Scott in Videodrome -style at my TV.

Lee Tracy can make this sort of thing work, but not this guy...and a view of his *proper biographical information via wikipedia* showed me he was from my home state of North Carolina. I hate to give a fellow Carolinian a hard time, but really, he was an 11 for the entire film when an 8 would've served the interests of all far better.