Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Loretta Young's legacy: Films, sainthood, victimized by Clark Gable

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Yeah, I thought for sure it would be an actor. And since SOTM's usually arent tied into any event, she'd just get a birthday tribute..........

Not true. Carole Lombard was SOTM in the month of her centennial (October 2008), as was Jean Harlow in hers (March 2011). Glad to see Loretta follow in their lovely footsteps.

*I never found Young to be a particular beauty as advertised. Certainly not in the league of Tierney, Gardner, Lamarr, Hayworth, Turner,Garbo, Bergman et al.*

IMHO Loretta Young was one of the most spectacular beauties of the movies EVER....especially when she was young. Look at any of the pictures posted here, silly hats and all, and it's self-evident.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}

> > Is this official???

> It's on the schedule, though there may be some last-minute changes.

>

> I am sure calvin will have full details when he posts the January schedule. Hopefully that is within a day or so.

Thanks TopBilled for posting this. I'm working the schedule now, but it won't be ready for posting until Friday. Sorry, but when schedule information pops up in the middle of a work week it slows me down because I only have nights to work on it until the weekend.

The films listed by TopBilled for Loretta Young are correct up to now. I know some of these films do not exist such as Man From Blankley's, but is TCM ever going to show "Too Young To Marry" or "Second Floor Mystery" or are those films incomplete???

At any rate the other theme during the month seems to be films about heists. Many of these are made in the 60's and 70's, I guess to counter all of the precodes with Loretta Young.

Plus January 1 will be a birthday tribute to Charles Bickford with some rarely aired stuff from his body of work.

January 28 has just one film that I've found so far - 1930's "Shooting Straight" starring Richard Dix, and that is at 12:45 in the afternoon! I wonder what is up with that day?

Not many women could wear a gown the way Loretta could.

During the Fifties, The Loretta Young Show was on at our house every week; my mom was a huge fan of her. Loretta always made these fabulous entrances through a door in those beautiful dresses!

My dad always used to make crack about her opening:

*Damn, that dress beat her through the door first again!*

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Oct 17, 2012 8:23 PM

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

>

*I never found Young to be a particular beauty as advertised. Certainly not in the league of Tierney, Gardner, Lamarr, Hayworth, Turner,Garbo, Bergman et al.*

>

> IMHO Loretta Young was one of the most spectacular beauties of the movies EVER....especially when she was young. Look at any of the pictures posted here, silly hats and all, and it's self-evident.

Agreed. Loretta was as luminous as Lombard, Michelle Pfeiffer, Gene Tierney, Hedy Lamarr and others.

> {quote:title=casablancalover2 wrote:

> }{quote}Not many women could wear a gown the way Loretta could.

> During the Fifties, The Loretta Young Show was on at our house every week; my mom was a huge fan of her. Loretta always made these fabulous entrances through a door in those beautiful dresses!

> My dad always used to make crack about her opening:

>

> *Damn, that dress beat her through the door first again!*

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

On my cable TV I get a channel called BlueHighways TV and they run the Loretta Young Show twice a day (at 9:30 A.M. and 1:30 P.M. eastern).

I've been enjoying them when I've been able to catch them. The prints aren't very clear, but I'm always up for any TV from the 50's. (But unfortunately that channel doesn't run any other old-time TV shows - makes me wonder why just that one?)

And Loretta still looks pretty and glamorous in the shows.

She's been in all the shows I've seen (not sure if she acted in all of them, or just introduced them) and always turns in good performances.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:

> }{quote}I know some of these films do not exist such as Man From Blankley's, but is TCM ever going to show "Too Young To Marry" or "Second Floor Mystery" or are those films incomplete???

>

THE SECOND FLOOR MYSTERY definitely does exist - in a nice restored 35mm print. It was shown several years ago at a UCLA Film Preservation Festival and I also saw it at the Film Forum in NY a few years ago.

I guess if a transfer is done to a broadcast copy then we can hope it may show up on TCM and/or a Warner Archives release.

So it's great that it exists and looks great, but as far as I know as of now it can be seen only at Festival screenings.

Do those entrances still exist? I remember she went to court in the 60s to prevent those entrances on the show from being seen in distribution. She was concerned she would be mocked due to the fashions being out of date............

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Now, now. They were both good Catholic girls and went to the same church in Beverly Hills........:D

oh I know, I'm just joshin' cause I find myself inspired by the pic. Rosalind Russell is one of those actresses I never read anything bad about- *everyone* seems to have liked her very much. According to Inside Oscar she was nothing but kind and a sport on losing the way she did- hard- in 1948.