Find results in...

OT: Yankees? Schmankees...

Sepiatone

Congratulations to the Tigers the team of the great Ty Cobb. I am an American

League fan and will pull for 'em.

Let's hope they are not intimated by the Cardinals as they were the last

time they met 'em.

Let's hope they have the spunk and superior attitude to whip 'em and

shame 'em as the 1968 Tigers did to Bob Gibson and his Cardinals.

Al Kaline, Willie Horton, Norm Cash, Mickey Lolich, Denny McLain and

others came back from a 3 to 1 game deficit to win the World Series.

One of the best come backs of all time.

Jake in the Heartland

Yes, congratulations to the Tigers and either the Cardinals of Giants.

If the Cardinals beat out the Giants, the two teams with the worst record among the playoff teams will be in the World Series. I think baseball in it's greed to generate TV revenue by supplying way to many playoff teams to produce way to many playoff games to drag the baseball season into football and even basketball "territory" has consistantly shown that the regular season is of no relevence. But the regular season does produce 162 meaningless (except for the TV revenue) games for each team in the league.

I'm an American league fan (except for the Yankees) and will cheer for them, so I can at least say my White Sox collapse helped.

Of COURSE we can talk about topics that have nothing to do with movies. That's why I started this thread topic with "OT"(Off Topic) in a forum room called "General Discussions"!.

Anyway, the Yankee org. might need to re-think Girardi as manager. I mean, benching A-Rod made sense as he wasn't producing. But benching Granderson? He was doing alright. Made some good hits and plays in games 1-3. By the time he decided to play Granderson(an ex-Tiger, by the way) it was too little too late.

Sepiatone

All of Steinie's money and all of Steinie's men couldn't put these pathetic

losers back again. Sweep-O. How sweet it is. Time to dump Ste-rod. With-

out his injections, he's just an average player now. Back to the Bronx for

dese bums.

I would still like to see the Giants win, but that doesn't look likely, so I'll go

with the Cards. The Tigers get credit for waxing the pinstrippers, but I usually

pull for the National League.

willbefree25 wrote:

TCMfan23, please return.

Apparently we can now talk about topics that have nothing to do with movies.

I'm right, aren't I, moderator?

-------------------------------------------------

Gotta say here guys, I think willbe MIGHT have a point here.

And so, what say we make her feel a little better here about the apparent lack of a movie reference in this thread by posting the following:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvtqppKCbz0n_Ek1borWj

"Today..ay..ay, I feel..eel...eel, like burning..urning..urning, my jersey..ersey..ersey!"

(...how's THAT willbe...feelin' better about this thread NOW???)

;)

The Yankees get swept, but still ESPN is talking 90% about the Yankees, and 10% about the Tigers. The Cardinals are the team that always seems to win when it counts, not the Yankees. Aside from the Yankees, they have been the most successful team over the history of baseball, without having or spending anywhere near the amount of money.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}TCMfan23, please return.

>

> Apparently we can now talk about topics that have nothing to do with movies.

>

>

> I'm right, aren't I, moderator?

>

He got bounced for verbally abusing people not for discussing topics not germane to TCM.

I think I'll now go the George Brent's rear end thread because that discussion is completely about his films.

:^0

4608179364_431f765d9e.jpg

7713309270_dfd73e763e.jpg

I consider the 1968 Tigers as one the best teams of all time.

The 1984 Tigers were a great team predicted to dominate the league after their

World Series win but were a disappointment.

They had the guts with sweet Lou Whitaker, Alan Trammel and Lance

Parrish. One of the best baseball has ever seen.

Also, for the record, I have disdain for the playoffs, inter-league play and the DH.

But money talks and times change.

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Oct 19, 2012 9:29 PM

I used to think the old Braves team was a great team -- the one with Aaron, Alou, Torre, Carty, et. al.

As a New Yorker who grew up near Yankee Stadium and used to love to go to games, I have lost my enthusiasm. When a local team wins, there's too much fuss, it's almost like a football game in the North of England. And I don't like fuss on the Sidewalks of New York!

But -- to get back to movies -- I think Damn Yankees is one of the great modern (i.e. post-1950) musical movies.

90% Yankees and 10% Tigers?

We're used to that sort of thing here in Detroit.

Once, while watching a Red Wings game on NBC, the announcers were going on and on about how great a player Jaramor Jagr was, and all the time the Wings were kicking Pittsburg's butt, and Jagr wasn't even a FACTOR!

Seems to come with the territory.

What I like about the Cardinals, finance, is that when they win, all the players look truly appreciative. And when they lose, they seem to take it in stride. When the Yankees lose, they all have looks of disbelief, as if some Biblical or Constitutional law was broken. "We're the YANKEES! It's against the LAW for us to lose!"

Sepiatone

Al Kaline was not only a great hitter, especially in the clutch, but

he was also a great defensive right fielder with a rocket arm and

sound fundamentals.

Roberto Clemente comes to my mind as another outstanding

defensive right fielder in the same league of Al Kaline.

Kaline won 10 Gold Gloves and was inducted into the Baseball

Hall of Fame on the first ballot. Not many can say that.

Jake in the Heartland

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}The Yankees get swept, but still ESPN is talking 90% about the Yankees, and 10% about the Tigers. The Cardinals are the team that always seems to win when it counts, not the Yankees. Aside from the Yankees, they have been the most successful team over the history of baseball, without having or spending anywhere near the amount of money.

The 27 WS for the Yankees compared to 11 (I think) for the Cardinals says otherwise to me...the Cardinals don't always win when it counts. (However, they were robbed in '85 by a horrible call at 1st against the KC Royals.)

I dislike the Cardinals/and root against them for the notion that they and only they have good baseball fans and therefore their fans deserve them to win more than other fans.

Yes, ESPN should talk more about the Tigers (who I like...my grandfather pulled for them all his life (he was born in 1904), my dad has pulled for them all of his (and the Braves too.) But b/c the Yankees are a big market team who spends a lot of money, they will get talked about plenty. Plus, truth be told, the Tigers have spent a good deal of money too.

Can't argue the money point, Sewanie. Mike Ilitch, owner of both the Tigers AND Red Wings definately doesn't have shallow pockets.

But in somewhat of a defense of that, Ilitch bought the teams because he was a years long FAN, and it was more than just business to him.

Sepiatone

Yes, the team that I thought was their best actually didn't win the pennant, and it was when the Braves moved to Atlanta. Late 1960s. But I still thought they were an incredible team, better for hitting than pitching, though, despite a few good pitchers.

Jake, is that Andy Griffith playing Mickey Lolich, or is it Mickey Lolich playing Andy Griffith?

I'm hoping for a rematch of '34, '68 and '06, but only for the ending of '68. I only wish that it could be played in the ballparks of '34.

But if the Cardinals win, TCM should honor them with a rerun of the greatest baseball movie ever made, the sublime Death On The Diamond, where the Cardinals survive three murders and win the World Series in order to avoid being taken over by The Mob.

4608179364_431f765d9e.jpg

I see the resemblance. Good call. But, naw, show The Pride of

St Louis. Although I sincerely hope they do not win and San

Francisco is not done yet. They could win.

Dizzy Dean was a Mississippi boy who could throw a hot tater and

make it dance. Great pitcher.

By the way, Lolich won three games in that series and was called

the pancake man because he loved to eat them and did so with vigor

in the Series.

Al Kaline's timely hitting in the Series was also a huge factor especially

in game five when he made timely hits to win the game when the Tigers

were behind and looked like get the fork out time.

Bob Gibson of the Cardinals, when in the groove, was the most dominating

pitcher I've ever seen

He didn't really lose game seven. Curt Flood lost a routine fly ball

in the sun and the Tigers scored runs and went on to win.

Baseball can be cruel and represents reality like real life.

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Oct 20, 2012 10:51 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings