Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone else totally dig EYES IN THE NIGHT (1942)??

markbeckuaf

Just wondering if anyone caught this last night and, if so, what you thought? I totally dig this flick! I'd seen it before (and it's public domain apparently as there are a lot of DVD prints out there on PD labels), but it's been a while! I forgot just how much Edward Arnold rocked it in the role of blind detective Duncan "Mac" MacLain!!! And the likes of Reginald Denny, Ann Harding, Donna Reed, Onslow Stevens, not to mention Allen Jenkins and Mantan Moreland!!! And Friday the dog, who rocked it as well, even getting it on with the local poodle dame!!!

Way cool mystery that morphed about 1/3 of the way through into something a bit more sinister, but wow, what a flick! Thanks for showing it in prime time, TCM!!

It's aired before and this was the first time I sat down and paid attention to it. Donna Reed plays a real vixen in an early film role for her.

I thought Edward Arnold was fabulous as always and that dog! Great scene stealer! Plus we have Ann Harding who is just so darn underrated. Why not feature her next year for Summer Under the Stars, TCM...? Hint, hint.

MGM filmed a sequel for EYES IN THE NIGHT. It's called THE HIDDEN EYE. But Harding and Reed do not return for it. For more:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037776/

I made a few comments on the Johnny Belinda thread. I saw it. I liked Arnold and the dog, but was disappointed in the story as I was expecting a whodunit and it turned into an espionage wartime melodrama. I did enjoy Donna Reed playing a not very nice girl next door....

I didnt "get" that brief scene up in Arnold's bedroom where it looks like he's untying or tying up a woman. Who was she? The maid? One of the characters said she was disposed of down the road. The shot lasted only a few seconds and was never referred to later..........

> {quote:title=SenaidaJackson wrote:}{quote}I did enjoy Donna Reed playing a not very nice girl next door....

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> -----

> Best DVD --- [Nikita Season 2 DVD|http://www.easydvdmart.com/goods-1965-NikitaSeason2DVDBoxset-FREE+SHIPPING.html] makes our recommandation rewarding

Yeah, that was definitely a bit different for her!

I agree with some of the comments made about the flick kinda turning to a different tone about 1/3 of the way through or so, but I still dug it!

I like it too, but the novel is much better and much different.

It's by Baynard Kendrick and titled The Odor of Violets. The basic setup is the same (tension between mother and stepdaughter about a man they've both been involved with) but the movie dispenses with the plot of the novel shortly after that and becomes about espionage. I guess they decided they just didn't want to try to put that complicated whodunit plot on screen. That's the reason for the odd shift in storyline.

Kendrick, who was interested in blind people and how they coped, wrote a whole series of these Duncan McClain novels. The Odor of Violets is the best of them in my opinion, despite a bizarre scene at the end in which the killer runs around wearing a full suit of armor!

Kendrick also wrote the novel on which the film Bright Victory is based, about a blind man returning from the war.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings