Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Wish I Lived in the 1920's

Burton83

hamradio you are absolutely correct. The flu pandemic of 1918 was horrible. Being a nurse and one who worked for 12 years in Infection Control, I can't let this post go without reminding all of you to get your seasonal flu shot this year.

Although antibiotics are no good against viruses, many people died of bacterial infections e.g. pneumonia prior to the invention of antibiotics, which occured right after the start of WWII.

However now we are facing the big problem of returning to the pre-antibiotic area because there many resistant bacteria out there now.

The 1940's are my favorite "time in history" I love the films, the actors, actresses, the women's fashions and how the majority of Americans stood together for Victory during WWII.

Lori

Mostly for the fashions(hats in particular) and the music, I like the period from the late '30's to the very early '50's. Although I'm not sure I'd like LIVING back then.

Unsafe conditions in workplaces, working twice as hard for chickenfeed, rampant racism, sexism, and ageism, and NO internet, which means no TCM message board and all you fine people to exchange with!

And I have to add that as far as JAZZ goes, Paul Whiteman had a fitting name!

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Oct 18, 2012 6:03 PM

There's an episode of The Twilight Zone called "The Sixteen Milimeter Shrine". Ida Lupino plays an aging movie star who so longs to go back to the way things were in the past that in the end, she disappears into one of her own films.

So, while I wouldn't necessarily want to live in another era with all of its own problems, it would be nice to disappear into an old movie for a while (er, the right kind of movie, that is. Nothing like "Psycho" or anything... ;) )

Euginia, do you recall the old "NIGHT GALLERY" episode about the old Nazi expatriate living in South America somewhere who finds a painting in a museum of a pastoral scene and has visions of how peaceful life would be if he was living in it?

When the authorities finally catch up to him and he runs into the museum, he goes to where the painting was and begs the powers who be to "PLEASE, put me in the painting", they DO. But he didn't realize the museum replaced his pastoral scene with a painting of a man crucified on a burning cross!

So, YEAH! Make sure you're watching something pleasant when you get sucked into the old movie!

Sepiatone

The Night Gallery episode that Sepiatone is thinking about is one of the three stories in the pilot show (considered a TV movie). That show also has Joan Crawford in a rather good role as the wealthy blind woman who "buys" a few hours of sight only to have her sight time right at the moment of the great east coast blackout. Poor Joan has her eye sight, but everything in her apartment goes dark. By the time that the morning light comes up, her vision starts to go away again. And that Joan episode was also Steven Spielberg's first director's job.

I tend to agree that a lot of these other era would be nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there on a permanent basis than the era I have lived in. The main reason I would visit would be to see live shows of performers I love. E.g. Seeing Leslie Howard and Bogie doing The Petrified Forest live on Broadway in the early 30s. Seeing Charlie Parker playing in NYC in the late 40s, Sinatra in his prime in the 50s....

The decade I would of liked to visit the most would be the 50s. This is mostly due to the jazz music of that era. While I like the jazz music before than as a jazz musician it doesn't compare to the music of the 50s. To hear the original Bebop players playing live would of been something. As for plays I would still be able to see many of the stars of the 30s and 40s I loved and the younger stars that made their mark during the 50s on Broadway.

I loved the homes from the 20s, the ART DECO style and the clothes, the way they were cut on the bias and seemed to fit perfect. Also the table settings were outstanding with the perfect white table cloths (not polyester) and the crystal and china. They really seemed to know how to live then! And of course the music brought everything together (unlike Rap today). :)

There's something I can relate to in your post, James. If a time machine ever DOES get invented, how about joining me in a trip to MASSEY HALL?

Yeah, polecat, *Midnight In Paris* came to mind. First thing I'd do if I went back to the '20's is ask someone what period of time THEY'D like to go back to.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings