Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actresses of the 30's,40's and 50's

bob45

After watching TCM classics for many years, I personally feel that the actresses of this period were far more accomplished than most of those that followed them.These ladies of these golden years of film were more able to express their emotions facially, verbally and with body language and gestures than the actresses of today. Does anyone else agree with me?

> {quote:title=bob45 wrote:}{quote}After watching TCM classics for many years, I personally feel that the actresses of this period were far more accomplished than most of those that followed them.These ladies of these golden years of film were more able to express their emotions facially, verbally and with body language and gestures than the actresses of today. Does anyone else agree with me?

I do. Alot of them were from the stage and they brought their training for the stage with them to Hollywood.

I absolutely agree.

There is a HUGE difference between the actresses of that era and today, precisely why I watch TCM and NOT current movies, but who knows why the difference ......maybe actresses today care only about the money and fame and not their craft!

Today's actresses , in my opinion, especially american actresses, display very little of those stereotypical character weaknesses or flaws we got from old Hollywood. Those subtle but powerful idiosyncracies which made a given character unique on the big screen are now lost to the stereotypical "all knowing, empowered, strong"- characteristics which are ideal to today's american women--that "you go girl" mentality. (Sometimes though, we get something like the Diary of Bridget Jones to remind us that we humans are not all empowered with superwomen type qualities, and also to remind actors that displaying some common human frailties can lead to an award winning performance.) Personally, I miss the old school of acting--women were able to express so much about a character, like you mentioned, with facial gestures, verbal tones, body movements--sometimes their expression was over the top, sometimes very subtle, yet always accomplished leaving a great impact on the audience.

Many current actresses outside America still do the same. Actresses from the UK are usually excellent.

It is only most current actresses read stars in this country that get where they do via the casting couch, have some to little to no talent, are plastic from stem to stern, and care only about TMZ and money and fame.

There are exceptions of course, Frances McDormand comes to mind. There are others. Most others are w*****.

But yes, most actresses from the 1930s and 1940s (I pay no attention to those from the 1950s) are wonderful. I dislike Garbo and Swanson, and Hepburn usually has a mouthful of scenery in all her movies.

Back in those times of the "studio system", actors and actresses did what movies they were assigned, rather than pick and choose. One imagines that over a short period of time they had to accquire skill in every genre of film making, and many of their strengths and weaknesses would be found. Eventually, they would get cast in movies where those strengths would do the most good. Some would even be found to be good in almost any genre, and would find themselves cast in all sorts of movies. But you had to be ready for anything, therefore the wide range of expression.

Today, many actors and actresses have agents before they even land any kind of role in either movies, TV commercials or even stage work. These agents are aware of their client's strengths and weaknesses and go after parts for them based on that. Once established, they might try wandering out of their comfort zone only to discover that they do no good elsewhere. OR they might find they're good at something else. SANDRA BULLOCK's first few film roles were basically dramas, but she HAS branched out into comedy as well. ANN HATHAWAY has shown herself to be pretty versitile, as has RENE ZELLWEGGER and CATHERINE ZETA JONES. There are other actresses today who can give many of the "Golden Age" actresses a run for their money, but I do have to agree. They are in far fewer numbers than back then.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Oct 19, 2012 2:48 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings