Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

23 Paces to Baker Street

Geostan

> {quote:title=Geostan wrote:}{quote}Too bad it wasn't the CinemaScope version!

One really has to wonder why Fox went through the trouble of cropping the credits with borders on all sides, only to lead viewers into what looked like an old 16mm pan-and-scan print.

Very exciting film. Unfortunate that FOX provided only a squeezed/flat version of a CinemaScope production. The credits titles were non-anamorphic. FOX has been guilty of this on many of their widescreen films includng ones they are starting to release in their classic film series on MOD. Obviously either they don't care or don't want to spend extra money so we can see these films in their original aspect ratio. I personally would purchase this film if FOX released a wide screen version.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Just get some 4-inch wide black duct tape and tape strips across the top and bottom of your screen.

Fred, Cinemascope films aren't shot at 1.37:1, and then cropped top and bottom, like most 1.85:1 films are Cinemascope is shot with an anamorphic lens, at a OAR of 2.35:1. When it is made into 4x3, about 43% of the film is cropped off. So, your oft-repeated statement above cannot apply in this case, if it ever does.

The ending had echoes of Wait Until Dark and Rear Window, but seemed unnecessary (except to have a thrill filled climax) Why did the villain need to kill off Van anyway? You'd think they'd be trying to get out of town or something.... I did guess who Evans turned out to be........

LOL. Van faces the villain alone in his apt after telling Vera to get lost (again).......he WAS bitchy!!! Why the villain had to go after Van is what I dont understand. He didnt have anything he wanted (as in Dark)........

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}Well, Paces sounds better to me.

>

> This would work if they updated it and made the playwright gay and blind and bitchy.

Johnson's character also has a line in the film where he tells another fog-bound character that they are 23 paces away from Baker Street. The IMDb has the title as "Paces" and that was what was on the credits.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}The ending had echoes of Wait Until Dark and Rear Window, but seemed unnecessary (except to have a thrill filled climax) Why did the villain need to kill off Van anyway? You'd think they'd be trying to get out of town or something.... I did guess who Evans turned out to be........

Exactly. I was watching the scene and asking myself "Why does Evans have to do this?" Even if this person were caught and brought to trial, Hannon isn't exactly an eyewitness and Evans would have more to fear from his cohorts making an identification than from Hannon.

Carefully worded so as not to reveal anything.

Yes. LOL. Murder rap is much worse than kidnapping. And what did Van really know anyway that could hold up in court? By that time the jig was up and you'd think "Evans" would be hightailing it out of there, not risking arrest by visiting Van.... How did they know that Van even survived the bombed out bldg. scam? Things got a little too rushed towards the end. I didnt get why Van pretended the phone wasnt cut, though that was explained away (lamely) at the wrap up.....

As for Vera Miles, I've never understood why she never had more of a career. She was a good actress. And I thought she was so pretty. Maybe she didnt want one. She has a few good scenes in this......

It's OK to get those two "Vans" mixed up, Addy. They often took on similar movie roles. Just don't EVER confuse JOHN WAYNE and DAVID WAYNE!

Anyway, it's not as bad as the guy I know who insisted those "Our Gang" and early LAUREL & HARDY films were produced by MAX Roach, and not HAL.

Sepiatone

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/94118/23-Paces-to-Baker-Street/articles.html

The article must just be in error. It's written as 'Steps' twice in the article, then at the end it says 'Paces.'

It should be noted in the thread that Van Johnson and Vera Miles reteamed for another British-style mystery three years later, WEB OF EVIDENCE. It has a 7.0 rating from users, compared to the 6.8 that 29 PACES receives:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052623/

I'm not surprised, I've tried to submit some corrections for other pages here but they have never been acknowledged or corrected. I've had more success with doing similarly at the IMDb, although some submissions there required months to be revised.

I only attempt such things when I can document it.

It would have been nice to see WEB OF EVIDENCE during that Jack Cardiff fest of a short time ago.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings