Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Need of Suggestions (for School)

BasilBruce

So for school we will have to start writing stories, and one might possibly be romance. So I was planning to write a fun witty story with a race across the US based in 1947. Now for the guy part I have pictured young Albert Finney (there will be mentions of his voice) but Im having trouble for the woman. I pictured a green eyed brunette with the wit of Myrna Loy or Mae West (but more of a good girl). Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated and you will get credit in my story.

Love Albert Finney . . . but you know he's not American, right?

Now for the green-eyed brunette . . . Jeannette MacDonald could play witty, coy and charming very well, but I'm not sure of her eye or hair color. Now you could always go with Bette Davis (despite blue eyes). She could play anything you wanted.

Interesting premise, BB. What's the title?

What kind of race? Air? Ground? Plane, train, auto? Perhaps combining all three, with those wonderful train scenes.

How does the man meet the woman? Who is driving - the man, the woman? What kind of car? Anyone else along, i.e., two excellent supporting characters, e.g., James Gleason and Edna May Oliver or Robert Benchley or the guy who looks like Fred Allen but isn't and Zasu Pits or Ann Sothern?

Don't like Albert Finney (although he was an excellent head in Dennis Potter's Cold Lazarus) and Mae West is a cartoon. Myrna Loy is a good choice, though. Possibly Dick Powell or Robert Montgomery?

How about the weather? The wardrobe? Have Orry-Kelly make a travelling wardrobe and matching luggage? Or are they poor? How about pets? Include an Asta, e.g.?

Will their car break down and will they stop at an inn managed by some colorful characters, a la Elsa Lanchester and Charles Laughton?

Good luck. Do you have a blog where you will post this story once it's done?

Really it's a race across the US by train, hitchiking, oh and there's a few car thefts. Elizabeth Bentley wants to get to New York from Califronia for a chance to becaome a singer with a popular jazz band that's going to Europe. While Marcus Bancroft (Albert Finney) wants to get on the same boat to convince his father to start supporting him. Needless to say the exchange quips all through the story and act like they can't stand each other but I think it's a light hearted story. Plus they have to act like man and wife a time or two. And they run into some girls Marcus had dated in the past (which involves Liz to pretend to be Russian to get out of).

No I don't have a blog but if you'd like to read the story I can mail you a copy.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings