Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

letterbox and M-scan (metro scan/pan and scan)

WillieB

every so ofter we see the spots for letterboxing films shot in scope/wide screen and how special TCM is for showing films the way the diretors meant for them to be shown (at least on television). fine - so when I tuned into for of the few 50's movies I like (23 paces to Baker Street) I was pleased to see the credits in corrected scope (letter box) - then the film starts and its the same tired pan and scan full frame print they always show on tv. Maybe some one should screen the prints they are going to show, before they show them, rather than concern themselves with letting viewers in on how much they know about the films.

What about TCM's supposed industry standard leadership in its presentation of films yet they fail to broadcast in true HD? This upconverted stuff they show on their TCMHD channel pales in comparison to watching, for instance, Dr. No, on UHD, Universal High Definition Channel. I'll be by passing TCM often to see true HD films, *the way they are meant to be seen.*

The bottom line is there a world of difference between watching TCMHD and any channel that broadcasts in true HD. My eyes don't lie, do yours? You act as is if the difference is like splitting hairs Far from it, it's more like day and night, with TCM in the dark on this matter.

They tout themselves as the industry standard and their sister stations TBS and TNT are in true HD yet it's acceptable for them to be satisfied with an inferior HD? Yeah, that's an industry leader in broacasting.

I am saying, as have many people on this board, that TCM should be true HD. Don't we count as anyone?

The problem most people have is they don't show films in HD that do have HD masters - some of which have been shown elsewhere in HD, like MGMHD, UHD and HDNet Movies

Every channel that has come online has had limited HD material while they update their media. The problem here is, the amount of HD is limited to zero. It's faux HD.

Honestly, if the problem really is money, why did they bother to set up an HD channel only to not show any? It seems like a waste of money.

It's like owning a house, but also renting an apartment because it has more closet space.

TCM's internal management is a mess. I think they did it so as to appear to be keeping up with the Joneses.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings