Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will "SMILE" Format be the new TV standard for airing Cinerama films?

That is the shape a Cinerama screen looks ONLY when seen from the rear of the auditorium and in a still photograph taken with an extreme wide angle lens.

That is not the proper viewing shape of the Cinerama image.

Here is an example of a Cinerama screen photographed up close with an extreme wide angle lens on the still camera. This also was NOT the way a Cinerama image was intended to be seen.

_wsb_216x196_Finish02alt.jpg

What is your point in going on and on about "the correct shape" etc, in each of the Cinerama threads? What are you trying to get at, and why do you keep REPEATING yourself several times in each of the threads??

Smilebox is called a SIMULATION....what part of the word "SIMULATION" don't you understand?

smilebox_logo.jpg

Smileboxing is NOT intended to be an accurate OR precise replication of how a Cinerama screen looks to the actual eye when seated in a Cinerama theater.

We understand it's "not proper"....it is the BEST it will get for current widescreen HDTV screens unless someone comes up with an ACTUAL curved screen that matches the curvature of a CInerama screen, although smaller for a person's home.

>What are you trying to get at

Since most people here never saw a real Cinerama film in a real 3-projector Cinerama theater, I want to be sure they understand that, in the real Cinerama theater, we never saw the distorted image shape that you keep posting. :)

I am not the ONLY one to post Smilebox images here...and that's besides the point. There's no need to keep repeating yourself with the "proper" explanation of how CInerama looks....there's more than enough replies in each thread to satisfy anyone who might have a question.

The point is the discussion of Smileboxing...I don't see any need whenever someone mentions Smileboxing that you HAVE to repeat the explanation...you've repeated that at least a dozen times in the Cinerama threads. WE GET IT. :0

> {quote:title=yanceycravat wrote }{quote}Was this a one time airing or will SMILE format be the new Cinerama standard for TCM?

>

> .

>

>

>

>

I don't think that TCM will show THIS IS CINERAMA and the others on a regular basis. The only two 3-strip Cinerama films that have been shown often are HOW THE WEST WAS WON and THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM. Since GRIMM has never been restored, because the original Cinerama film elements are gone that only leaves WEST that could get a possible "smilebox" showing in the future.

While "smilebox" was interesting to see and personally I liked it, I think it's more of a novelty to the average viewer and TCM will probably stick to the restored letterbox version that people are use to. Even after all these years there are those who still complain about films in letterbox. If "smilebox" starts showing up on a regular basis, they'll probably go nuts. :)

I hope so but one needs a large TV to enjoy it because of the area Cinerama covers. Whenever TCM airs "How The West Was Won" or any of the travelogue type of movies, the film "This Is Cinerama" should be aired first so a newcomer can better understand what's happening.

The opening of "This is Cinerama" shows curtains drawned over the curved simulated screen and the first thing that is showned is a standard movie screen in the center with Lowell Thomas narrating. This gives perspective how large the real Cinerama screens really are and the stage fades to the actual Smilebox format..

I think all these movies should have a curtain drawned prologue with a dimly lighted stage to better set the mood.

Don't be surprise to see complaints after all some people STILL hates seeing Letterbox (after all this time). I guess they will interpet the Smilebox bottom part of the logo as Frownbox. :(

I can imagine home Cinerama very soon, I can envision a 150" LCD curved TV incorporated into a near future home entertainment system, having your couch set close to the set so you get nearly the same effect as sitting in a Cinerama theatre ( nothing will ever beat the real thing). but the Smilebox format wouldn't be needed then. Purhaps this might *revive* Cinerama. Who could argue with that? :D

I say let 'em go nuts. I much prefer the smilebox, I found it a nice representation or facsimile of cinerama. Our TCM is for the buffs, the purists, the cinemaniacs like myself and the folks who go to the TCM classic film festival. If ordinary, ignorant folks wanna see it either in regular LTRX or full frame let 'em watch Encore or AMC. TCM is special. That's why I love TCM, even when it's not perfect.

You will have to remember that TCM gets the films from the distributors. "How the West Was Won" was Smilebox'ed by WB for home video. Same for "This is Cinerama," which was done by Flicker Alley. There is only one more Cinerama film done for home video in Smilebox and that was also released by Flicker Alley, "Windjammer: The Voyage of the Christian Radich." (And, actually, Windjammer was not filmed in Cinerama. It was done in Cinemiracle, an imitiation filming style.)