Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Casablanca your favorite Bogart film? If so, why? If not, why?

Ahh my favorite topic!

Well, there's THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE(clearly his best acting job)

IN A LONELY PLACE is great

THE BIG SLEEP, MALTESE FALCON, TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, CASABLANCA of course.

But I also loved him in THE PETRIFIED FOREST, DEAD END, ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT, HIGH SIERRA, DARK PASSAGE....and on and on

• 4 months later...

elinorkrieger, the movie where Bogart gets a new face is Dark Passage with Lauren Bacall, one of my favorites.

Actually I can't decide on whether Casablanca is my favorite or not. I do love it, but there are other Bogart films I like better. To Have and Have Not is probably my favorite. Casablanca's great, and it does have Ingrid Bergman, but I think it's just a little too serious compared to To Have and Have Not.

My favorite film with Bogart is Sabrina ,because I love his sarcasm and it was also the first film I saw him in so to me when I think of him I think of that film. He also says a line in Sabrina that cracks me up every time i here it. He is wearing a beanie and his old college sweater and while looking in the mirror he says" Look @ me Joe College with a touched arthritis ,I wish i were dead with my back broke".To me that is Humphrey bogart.

• 1 year later...

Yes, by far. In no particular order, my other favorite Bogey films are "Key Largo", "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", "to Have and Have Not", "High Sierra", "The Caine Mutiny" and "The Big Sleep." I think he deserved Oscars for both "Casablanca" and "Treasure of the Sierra Madre." Any similar or differing opinions?

Hollis

He definitely deserved the Oscar more for Treasure than African Queen, which I think was basically an apology for overlooking him for Treasure..... As I've said before, Casablanca is a treasure I could never get tired of seeing. Other favorite Bogey films : Treasure Of The Sierra Madre(by far his best performance), High Sierra, the films with Lauren Bacall, To Have And Have Not, Dark Passage.

Hi Hollis....funny you happened upon a topic from 2005 that is still timely!

My favorite Bogey role is The Big Sleep. As has been noted, his very early performances always ended up with him being rubbed out, until the PTB found out that he (and Cagney) were bankable. I am sure he had as much fun being picked for the romantic lead as we did watching him pull it off. A near-homely, slight of body schlub getting the girl, among them Lauren Bacall and the achingly pretty Ingrid Bergman! That's what I loved about Bogey and Cagney as compared to Cooper and Brando and even, blech, Wayne.

Both Cagney and Bogart seemed to KNOW they weren't pretty and played it up for all it was worth. They early on knew they had to develop their talent, like Garfield and Muni, and so could out-act Wayne and Cooper and the other pretty boys with both hands tied behind their backs.

Loved them both, so it's a tie with me as to who is the best and the sexiest and the most talented. I would have to say that Cagney was more an all-around actor (like Grant), as witness his dancing, but Bogey could wow 'em with the best of them.

Given that, my beloved Warren William couldn't do any of the above, but as far as I am concerned, he didn't have to. He could just read the Yellow Pages and that was all she wrote. :)

Yes, Casablanca is my favorite 'Bogart' film. I think it offered him the chance to play so many different emotions and he did them all so well. I liked his 'softness' in Paris, his strength at the end, his bitterness in the bar when he reflected her appearance, and I loved his refusal to accept the admiration for his kindness to the young couple. Best of all, was the look on his face when Cuddles kissed his forehead. If no one else was on screen, only voices, it wouldn't bother me, because my eyes are riveted to Bogey throughout the whole movie.

Boo-hoo

Anne

Nope, I don't know why for sure but I just can't get into it. The movie starts off way too slow and I get lost in it too easily. As for my fave Bogie film it's probably TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE or KEY LARGO.

I like The Big Sleep too, only in a different way. To me, The Big Sleep is a really, really good 'little' picture, whereas Casablanca was, like Wizard Of Oz....BIG!!!

BIG!!!! to me, mind you. It made a lifelong impression on my brain, and as I said, after having TCM for two years and seeing many, many movies, I still have not seen one that tops either Casablanca or Wizard Of Oz for total perfection and satisfaction. Heck, I still get all choked up when everyone starts singing 'La Marseillaise'.

As to Maltese Falcon, I still confess that I have yet to follow that movie, easily, all the way through. But I love it, nonetheless, for the cast and the silver and the curtains and the mood.

I always enjoyed Bogart in "Sahara". It gave a great story with a very good cast and pretty much was believable. I have seen this movie quite a bit and never get tired of it. A close second is what I consider his signature movie "Treasure of Sierra Madre". The fight scene in the bar between Dobbs and Curtin and Barton MacLaine alone is worth the time spent watching this great study of characters and what greed can do to people. You also can't go wrong with "The African Queen" for a more gentle Bogart. Also he was great with Cagney in "The Roaring Twenties". Come to think of it ALL of Bogart movies are my favorite!!

Bartlett