Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A FACE IN THE CROWD TONIGHT!

Hibi

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}At least they haven't shown Night Of The Lepus in a while. The movie about the Giant Rabbits.

Awww, poor "Night of the Lepus" never gets the respect it deserves LOL I had always heard how bad this movie was so I avoided it like the plague whenever it was on. BUT one day last year I was sick and stuck in bed and decided I already felt like crap how much worse could it get. I was pleasantly surprised ... all the reviews were wrong ... it was MUCH worse than I thought it would be. So laughable. But is it one of those movies that is so bad it's good? Hmmm, not so sure about that. Ultimately it is just plain awful and other than paychecks what were these otherwise talented actors thinking.

When I saw it on the calendar, I thought: "Maybe there's one or two people out there who haven't yet seen it who'll tune in. So, that will be a good thing."

Today my Halloween present to myself arrived from amazon.com . . . so, continuing my own "fright fest" with Roman Polanski's "The Fearless Vampire Killers" (1967). I haven't seen it for many, many years. Then after that, maybe "The Innocents" (1961).

finance wrote: "I'd rather be seeing reruns of "Matlock".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, we understand, Grandpa.

(...btw, say hello to your boy Homer and the rest of the family for us!) ;)

> {quote:title=dpompper wrote:}{quote}

> When I saw it on the calendar, I thought: "Maybe there's one or two people out there who haven't yet seen it who'll tune in. So, that will be a good thing."

>

> Today my Halloween present to myself arrived from amazon.com . . . so, continuing my own "fright fest" with Roman Polanski's "The Fearless Vampire Killers" (1967). I haven't seen it for many, many years. Then after that, maybe "The Innocents" (1961).

>

I Can't Wait!

*FOR IT TO GO AWAY*

musikone

*When I saw it on the calendar, I thought: "Maybe there's one or two people out there who haven't yet seen it who'll tune in. So, that will be a good thing*

Geez, it's nice to know that TCM is operating their network for the benefit of one or two people. I wonder if a certain Mr. Kite is one of those benefiting?

> {quote:title=RaquelVixen wrote:}{quote}*When I saw it on the calendar, I thought: "Maybe there's one or two people out there who haven't yet seen it who'll tune in. So, that will be a good thing*

>

> Geez, it's nice to know that TCM is operating their network for the benefit of one or two people. I wonder if a certain Mr. Kite is one of those benefiting?

They had to pick a film like this for their "politics" theme night but it also had to be a movie that wouldn't offend anybody for political reasons.

Seems like they offended a few people for non-political reasons...

Oh well... Guess y'all coulda watched AMC and their big Friday night feature "Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Goes_to_Hell:_The_Final_Friday

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> It seems anytime I run across AMC, they're showing one of the 40 sequels of *Friday The 13th* . Seeing "Face" for the thousandth time is STILL a better choice!

>

> Sepiatone

>

I have to admit I've watched a few... Mostly because they're so bad they're silly to watch...

Some recent ones, for example, "Child's Play" with Chucky, and "Motel Hell" starring Rory Calhoun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motel_Hell

Also funny to see difference in style between hosting of TCM and AMC "Fearfest"...

On AMC it's very lowbrow and funny to see how the "hosts" explain the films...

For example, I heard someone talk (I wasn't watching and could only hear the audio in background in another room) about how it's always the "****" who gets killed first in a horror film and how the viewer can tell who that "****" is, or something like that...

Think it was Kevin Smith or one of his comic book show friends yapping...

In any case, you get the idea. The host wasn't aiming at the young Einsteins-to-be in the TV audience...

I mean, can you imagine R.O. or Young Ben using the word "****" on air on TCM???

Oh well...

Edited by: RMeingast on Oct 20, 2012 1:20 PM

Deleted the poster image. U can see it at Wiki link in my post.

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}i'm so jealous (of Hibi). her " damn, A Face in the Crowd, again? " post is much more popular than mine.

>

> must be free chicken wings or something...

>

Interesting trivia: In high school, Hibi was voted both the fastest and the wittiest typist of her senior class. Her nickname was even "Qwerty Wilde"...

She was known as "The Female Oscar Wilde" in those days:

P.S. Hope Hibi has mercy on my soul for this...

Edited by: RMeingast on Oct 20, 2012 3:12 PM

Changed video clip.

Ok, *A Face in the Crowd* gets a lot of airing on TCM these days, no question. TCM always seems to have these ongoing frequently-broadcast films; they change every half year or so, but it's always a feature of the station.

Others that have graced the TCM airwaves mulitple times in the past year or two include *North by Northwest*, *Some LIke it Hot*, and *Doctor Zhivago*. Probably a whole lot more that I can't bring to mind right now. ( But I'm sure you folks will be happy to supply them.)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's kind of annoying and you have to wonder why they do it. I think there's some reason for it, which lzcutter or kyle can supply - something to do with TCM having to commit to a certain number of airings if they want to rent the film.

I don't really have a big problem with these repeat airings. I have a pretty extensive personal film collection, and I can always watch something from that ( some of which I still haven't seen, or not for years.) Or hey, maybe I can do something else. Start that Jonathan Franzen novel I've been meaning to read. Just for instance.

My only real concern with the multiple airing thing is that it cheapens the movie in a way. JUST TEMPORARILY, I hasten to add.

While I must admit, and I've said it many times, that *Doctor Zhivago* holds a special place in Dante's nine circles of hell, the other films mentioned here are really quite good.

It's not *A Face in the Crowd's* fault that it's been aired repeatedly this year. Nor is it *North by Northwest's*, or *Some Like it Hot's*, or - I just thought of another one - *Night of the Hunter's*.

These are all great movies, and it's a shame that we regular TCM viewers are starting to see them as a kind of cinematic blight, just because they're being screened frequently.

What if you'd never seen *A Face in the Crowd* before? At the very least, it's a thought-provoking film, and uncannily relevent to a lot of issues going on in our culture today. And Andy Griffith's performance is very good. Maybe it has a bit of an overblown third act, but it's still a good movie, and an entertaining one. Just because it's received an excessive number of airings over the past few months does not cancel out the postive aspects of the film. That goes for *NBNW* and the others, too.

Ok, I'm done.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> something to do with TCM having to commit to a certain number of airings if they want to rent the film.

I suspect the conversation may be nearly this:

Distributor: "You can rent most films for $X. Films which some other channels want will cost you twice as much. Films which are thought to be old standards and which can be shown by many channels will cost you ten times as much."

TCM: "We need a few old standards in our schedule. We will pay ten times as much but we want to air them ten times as often so as to get our money's worth."

Distributor: "Sure. What do we care how much you use them? It is not as if digital copies can wear out."

It's not *A Face in the Crowd's* fault that it's been aired repeatedly this year. Nor is it *North by Northwest's*, or *Some Like it Hot's*, or - I just thought of another one - *Night of the Hunter's*. These are all great movies, and it's a shame that we regular TCM viewers are starting to see them as a kind of cinematic blight, just because they're being screened frequently.

What if you'd never seen *A Face in the Crowd* before? At the very least, it's a thought-provoking film, and uncannily relevent to a lot of issues going on in our culture today. And Andy Griffith's performance is very good. Maybe it has a bit of an overblown third act, but it's still a good movie, and an entertaining one. Just because it's received an excessive number of airings over the past few months does not cancel out the postive aspects of the film. That goes for *NBNW *and the others, too.

That's pretty much my take, too. Since it's only a handful of films that get overplayed at any given time, It just gives me some time to catch up on some of the ones that I've missed. And if I hadn't already seen A Face in the Crowd several times already and already owned a copy, I wouldn't mind at all having it shown once again. After all, it is a great movie in spite of its familiarity.

Now Splendor in the Grass, OTOH....They should just take a torch to that one.... ;)

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote} Just because it's received an excessive number of airings over the past few months does not cancel out the postive aspects of the film.

And yet, I caught the last 25 minutes of the film last night and found myself *hating it* for the first time. It was ugly, bleak, didactic and heavy-handed with the moralizing and I've never found fault with it before.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> > something to do with TCM having to commit to a certain number of airings if they want to rent the film. I suspect the conversation may be nearly this:

> Distributor: "You can rent most films for $X. Films which some other channels want will cost you twice as much. Films which are thought to be old standards and which can be shown by many channels will cost you ten times as much."

> TCM: "We need a few old standards in our schedule. We will pay ten times as much but we want to air them ten times as often so as to get our money's worth."

> Distributor: "Sure. What do we care how much you use them? It is not as if digital copies can wear out."

My guess is somewhat different. I think that they probably get a really good deal on repeat screenings of these good (but over played) films, and do it to stay within a programming budget. So, it's possible that these repeats help them save money to use for paying higher rentals for more obscure films, films from other studios, and clearing rights to show films we DO want to see, but haven't been on TCM before.

I concur, Andy (except for the proposed dramatic ending for SITG). You crystallized a point I made early on in this thread. I discovered "Face in the Crowd" in my 30s; rather late since I became a classic film lover in my single digits. So, if it airs frequently during prime time, at least someone will see it for the first time and appreciate it the way many of us do.

Here's another bright side. If it's shown during "The Essentials" and we don't want to see it AGAIN, we have a good reason for skipping Drew.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

>

> What if you'd never seen *A Face in the Crowd* before? At the very least, it's a thought-provoking film, and uncannily relevent to a lot of issues going on in our culture today. And Andy Griffith's performance is very good. Maybe it has a bit of an overblown third act, but it's still a good movie, and an entertaining one. Just because it's received an excessive number of airings over the past few months does not cancel out the postive aspects of the film. That goes for *NBNW* and the others, too.

>

>

> Ok, I'm done.

>

Yes, film was part of TCM's "American Politics on Film" series this month:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/movie-news.html?id=508285&name=TCM-Features-American-Politics-on-Film-in-October

An important film for many reasons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Face_in_the_Crowd_%28film%29

Highly regarded by many film critics: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/face_in_the_crowd/

Like I wrote below, other things to do or watch on TV if you don't want to watch.

And think there are first time viewers in the audience or other people who may not have caught the film at the other times it was aired. Not all of us watch TCM 24/7/365.

But "A Face in the Crowd" not something that's going to offend people overtly, like a Michael Moore film, for example. (And I like Michel Moore...)

And like I wrote below, it's a film that is going to offend only because it's been shown so often on TCM, apparently, and not due to anything in the film itself.

And Miss W., you are never done. You are as like a rose that never fades... Eer blooming and yet also armed with mighty thorns that prick them that needs it, whens they need it...

(Oh well, it started out ok...) ;)

Rm; Well I could see that A Face In The Crowd would offend people in that area of the South. Maybe not so much today (e.g. in the South they now serve sushi! :) ), but I assume when it was released in was offensive to many in that area. I mean it does make 'the people' look like suckers and I can see many saying 'yea, those in Hollywood or New York all feel we are hicks!'.

RM, thank you for that amalgamation of John Donne, Shakespeare, and that very English Christmas Carol ("Lo, How a Rose Ere Blooming" or something) . Maybe Lonesome Rhodes should have tried to integrate a little John Donne into his ramblin' gamblin' geetar pickin' tunes.

Apropros of nothing much, except this general conversation about *A Face in the Crowd*, I feel compelled to say that I found Andy Griffith quite sexy in this film. And Andy Griffith is not someone whom I ( or anyone except I guess his wife /wives and Helen Crump) would normally find sexy.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> Rm; Well I could see that A Face In The Crowd would offend people in that area of the South. Maybe not so much today (e.g. in the South they now serve sushi! :) ), but I assume when it was released in was offensive to many in that area. I mean it does make 'the people' look like suckers and I can see many saying 'yea, those in Hollywood or New York all feel we are hicks!'.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Yes, I guess so. More making fun of rural people wherever they live.

Bu then "Hee Haw" was on TV for many years and I think rural people (I was one who watched it) found it funny and not offensive. I mean it was very silly and not "politically correct" but not to be taken seriously as an attack on the ways of rural people.

Can't imagine a TV show like that being aired today 'tho...

Whole bunch of TV shows like that in 1960s - "Beverly Hillbillies," "Green Acres,"Petticoat Junction," etc...

And plot of film apparently had much to do with take on the life of Arthur Godfrey, including the decline:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Godfrey

As well as Tennessee Ernie Ford: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_Ernie_Ford

And Will Rogers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Rogers

People today probably wouldn't know who Godfrey, Rogers, and Ford were and so wouldn't get the references in the film to those real-life people who were well-known at the time (or was still remembered in the case of Rogers).

I suppose people may have been offended at the time of the film's release, I don't know?

Good article in "Vanity Fair" by James Wolcott ("An Unforgettable Face")

about the film here:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/03/wolcott200703

There is a lot to consider about this film. It makes you think of Huey Long and also the film "All the King's Men," for example.

The Wolcott article above is very good at discussing the film.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings