Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Madame Du Barry

clore

Did anyone else catch this 1934 film last night? Wow, I really regret not recording it, what a pleasant surprise.

Loads of dialogue and situations there that made it obvious why it was condemned by The Legion of Decency. Not to mention those women dancing in the garden in those diaphanous nightgowns, whew, Busby Berkeley's chorines had nothing on these gals.

My favoritite bit had to do with the unworldly Dauphin being given a book of illustrations to prepare him for his wedding night. That the character was played by Maynard Holmes who had asked Stanwyck if she had any experience in BABY FACE made it all the more amusing.

If any of you have it on your DVRs, take a tip and watch this one ASAP.

I don't know how this one never made my radar screen before, but it's on there now. Perhaps it will show up at the Warner Archive and if it does, I'm definitely getting a copy.

Looking it up on old schedules, I see it aired on November 23, 2009 at 715AM as part of a Victor Jory tribute. No wonder I missed it, I was up late the night before watching BLACK ORPHEUS. I didn't have a DVD recorder then, and I was too unfamiliar with the film to use it last night.

Oh well, my loss but I did get to see it and for that I'm grateful to TCM.

Maybe it was a Victor Jory tribute, not a Reginald Owen tribute. I remember it aired early in the morning, and that is when I recorded it. Was that the last time TCM broadcast it? Going by the comments on the IMDB for this film, it would seem that the pattern is to re-air it every three years.

That was the only airing that I could find as my schedules only go back to January, 2009. My old PC had schedules going back to the year 2000, but a hard drive failure caused me to lose my collection.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings