Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Constant Nymph

Dothery

For many years this one was unavailable, and I don't know why. I caught it on YouTube, in several parts, but the whole picture never seemed to appear. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places. At any rate I always loved it.

I had a secretarial business for many years, and Joyce Reynolds came in one day with a screenplay for me to type. I recognized her from her days at Warner's when she was "Janie" in a few teen pictures. She was amazed that I remembered those movies and their content. My girlfriends and I used to watch them and try to emulate her, she was so cool. We became friends, and she told me about The Constant Nymph, and how she and Joan Fontaine would wait for Charles Boyer to come in in the morning to greet him, jumping all over him. She said they loved him; he was just such a wonderful man. They loved working with him and missed him after it was over.

This picture was strange in many ways. Different. The idea that Tessa would pass out so easily when she got bad news was weird. But it was a beautifully photographed movie, and the people seemed real to me.

This was one of the most-requested titles around here. In September 2011, it finally premiered on TCM, after legal issues with the estate of the author were finally cleared up (issues that dragged on for decades).

It showed up again in January of this year and now it seems to be a part of the regular rotation of Warner Brothers classics available through the Turner Library.

If you run a search on this website, you can probably find the threads that were created a year ago about THE CONSTANT NYMPH. It was a huge event when it was broadcast. I am sure the version on Youtube comes from the September 2011 showing and has TCM's logo all throughout it.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:

> }{quote}I am sure the version on Youtube comes from the September 2011 showing and has TCM's logo all throughout it.

Actually, a less-than-perfect looking copy was on YouTube a couple of years before the movie was shown on TCM. It was taken off before long. I haven't thought to check if the movie has shown up on YouTube since TCM ran it, but if so, I'm sure it wouldn't last long there before someone reports it and it's taken off.

As for the people seemed real to me comment, well to my wife Boyer was a little too real, in a Lolitia sort of way. Yea, young girls will have crushes on older men but for Boyer to not put a stop to it when she was young or not distance himself from it was somewhat gross. All I saw was a misguided teen and a man that encouraged the attention. His wife was right. The so called love was really lust. Yea, I understand the censors but I would rather have the movie be like Lotitia. i.e. just sleep with the teen if that is what you want and vise versa. If that isn't really what the movie was about (lust between teen girl and adult man), than at the end of the day the movie is really about nothing.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings