Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To!!! Week of October 22nd!!!

markbeckuaf

First a shout out for tonight's wild and wooly animated shorts!!! And even more of a shout out for a couple of super groovy short B crime flix, starting at 3:45AM EST Sunday night/Monday morning! MISSING WITNESSES (1937), starring Dick Purcell and John Litel, I've not seen this one before, followed by Anthony Quinn and Joan Perry in BULLETS FOR O'HARA (1941)! Dig it!!

Monday daytime is a HUGE tribute to Joan Fontaine, with some early work and some later noir work making my groovalicious list!!! First up Kate Hepburn takes the lead in QUALITY STREET (1937) with Franchot Tone, Eric and Joan chiming in to the fun! Screwball times had by all! In case you missed it last week, the Lew Landers directed THE MAN WHO FOUND HIMSELF (1937) airs next, starring John Beal! Preston Foster joins Joan in YOU CAN'T BEAT LOVE (1937), then Richard Dix and Chester Morris (talk about some hunky beefcake in one flick!!! Woah!) join Joan (lucky gal!!) in SKY GIANT (1938) another coolio 60-ish minute flick directed by Lew Landers (one that was not in last week's tribute to this fine director!!)!! A bit later, 1:30pm EST to be exact, Joan gets jiggy with some noir, first with BORN TO BE BAD (1950), with noir heavy hitters Robert Ryan and Zachary Scott!! Next up, Joan and Ida Lupino both get jiggy with Edmond O'Brien in THE BIGAMIST (1953)! Wow, that dude really had it goin' on with the ladies in that one, also Santa Claus (Edmund Gwenn) shows up!

Next Joan rocks it with director Fritz Lang in BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT (1956), a flick with a groovy twist and dark tone, starring Dana Andrews, Sidney Blackmer and Barbara Nichols!!

Monday nights (and pretty much most of if not all of Tuesday days) belong to Spence in the month of October, as he's our SOTM, and most of this Monday night and into the early hours of Tuesday it's all about Spence and Kate! If you dig their flix together, you'll be totally grooving! My groove will be struck at 3:45am EST with KEEPER OF THE FLAME (1942), a darker wartime flick that rocks! And in case you may have missed it the first Monday of the month, Tuesday, 7:45am EST will reprise the outstanding documentary, hosted by Kate Hepburn, THE SPENCER TRACY LEGACY (1987)!!! Also, don't miss THE SEVENTH CROSS (1944), during the daytime block of Spence flix on Tuesday, 2:30pm EST!!

Tuesday nights this month, it's "The Projected Image", TCM's tribute to disabilities in film, and this week I'll be checking out my man Lon Chaney, Jr in arguably his greatest non-horror role, OF MICE AND MEN (1939) along with Burgess Meredith, followed by a flick that touched me years ago when I first saw it, and I'm sure I'll be needing the kleenex again when I check out CHARLY (1968) with Cliff Robertson and Claire Bloom!!

Wednesday daytime is TOTALLY rockin' with a day long tribute to films based upon the works of author W Somerset Maugham!!! Kicks off with a couple of silent flix, THE CIRCLE (1925) directed by Frank Borzage and starring Eleanor Boardman!!! Next up, some kinky stuff in THE MAGICIAN (1926)!!! And then an early talkie (love 'em!!!), feauturing the only talkie flick, I believe, with actress Jeanne Eagels, also featuring Reginald Owen in this early version of THE LETTER (1929)!!! Then pre-code time with more early talkies: STRICTLY UNCONVENTIONAL (1930) with Paul Cavanagh and Catherine Dale Owen!!! Followed by the racy and hardcore pre-code RAIN (1932) with Joan Crawford, Walter Huston, William Gargan and Guy Kibbee in this hard-hitting flick!!! And rounding out the pre-code block, OUR BETTERS (1933) with the luscious Constance Bennett, Charles Starrett and Alan Mowbray!!! Next up, a rare Bogie flick, ISLE OF FURY (1936) with the gorgeous and sexy hot Margaret Lindsay, and Donald Woods!! Next up a rarely screened flick, DIRTY GERTIE FROM HARLEM USA (1946)!!! Dig it!!!

And as if the daytime wasn't groovy enough, TCM is not letting the metal off the peddle in the evening with the Wednesday tribute to horror, kicking off with the spoof-ish THE RAVEN (1963) with the triumvirate of Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre and Vincent Price!!! Woah! Followed by Bela Lugosi as the mad Dr Mirakle in a gruesome pre-code Universal horror, MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1932)!!! Up next is the greatest--IMO--team-up of the Kings of Horror, Bela and Boris in THE BLACK CAT (1934), filled with atmosphere, menace, gothic set design, soundtrack to chill the bones, and plot points including necrophelia, sadism, incest, satan worshippers....and that's just to get the party started!!! Don't miss this one!!! And in the wee hours of the morning, this set rounds out with a couple of my main men--George Zucco and Dwight Frye!!!--in DEAD MEN WALK (1943) a low-budget creeper not to be missed!!

Jim Lehrer shows up on Thursday night as Guest Programmer, and though these flicks are shown fairly frequently on TCM, you gotta groove to the 8pm EST showing of ALL THE KING'S MEN (1949) the tale of political corruption with my man Broderick Crawford, Mercedes McCambridge, Joanne Dru and John Ireland! It's pretty heavy, in every way! Next up, it's Frank Capra directing the King of Hollywood, Clark Gable, with Claudette Colbert, in the pre-code fun-fest, IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT (1934)!! You go, Jim!

Friday morning we'll be treated to a silent block tributing Jackie Coogan!!! A DAY'S PLEASURE (1919) with Charlie Chaplin, and again in THE KID (1921), then it's OLIVER TWIST (1922) with Lon Chaney!! And finally, Jackie gets the nod in THE RAG MAN (1925)! Then just as suddenly we take a right turn into the jungle with a block of flix, grooving most to a flick I've not seen before, CALL OF THE JUNGLE (1944) at 1:45pm EST! This is followed by a block of Jungle Jim flix which have been seen recently on Saturdays at noon on TCM: JUNGLE JIM (1948), JUNGLE MANHUNT (1951) and JUNGLE JIM IN THE FORBIDDEN LAND (1952)!!! And rounding it out, the Bowery Boys rumble in the jungle in JUNGLE GENTS (1954)!!!

Friday nights this month are devoted to the theme of "American Politics on Film", and this week some true heavy hitters, including ADVISE AND CONSENT (1962) and 7 DAYS IN MAY (1964) with Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Frederic March and Edmond O'Brien!! Scandalous!!

TCM Underground kicks off a bit late this Friday at 3:15am EST, but man, kicks off with a documentary on the films of William Castle, SPINE TINGLER: THE WILLIAM CASTLE STORY (2007), and I'm super duper looking forward to this one! Next up is a Castle flick, MACABRE (1958)!!!

The horror meme continues all day Saturday!!! Starting off at 6am EST with THE DEVIL DOLL (1936), directed by veteran Tod Browning, and starring Lionel Barrymore in one of his most off-beat roles, along with the gorgeous Maureen O'Sullivan!! Next up it's a Val Lewtwon two-fer, with Boris Karloff rockin' it in BEDLAM (1946) a totally claustrophobic chiller, followed by CAT PEOPLE (1942) with Simone Simon and Tom Conway!! Next Christopher Lee dons the Dracula cape in a couple from Hammer studios: DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS (1966) and DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (1969)!!! Up a bit later, it's Vincent Price in HOUSE OF WAX (1953) along with Frank Lovejoy and Phyllis Kirk!!! And Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1959) rounds out the day!

Saturday night brings us the theme of "mind games" and kicks off with the rockin' DIABOLIQUE (1955)!!! This one will have you climbing the walls with the chills and suspense!!! Woah! I've never seen this next one before, but it looks like a winner: GAMES (1967) with Simone Signoret and James Caan!!! A little later, Richard Boone shows up in the creepy I BURY THE LIVING (1958)!!

5am EST Sunday is rockin' with Babs Stanwyck and George Sanders in WITNESS TO MURDER (1954)!! This is followed by another groovy noir, D.O.A. (1950)!!! One of the best noir's lf all time, EDmond O'Brien's tour-de-force!! Way to rock a Sunday morning!! Ray Harryhausen is tributed Sunday evening with 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH (1957) with hunky William Hopper!! Next up, Hugh Marlowe is working it in EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS (1956), and finally FIRST MEN IN THE MOON (1964)!!! Silent Sunday features Lon Chaney in the horror classic, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925)!!! Followed by Peter Lorre in his signature classic, directed by Fritz Lang, M (1931)!! Peter Lorre shows up again in the wee hours, along with Raymond Massey, Faye Emerson, Alan Hale and the lovely Andrea King in HOTEL BERLIN (1945)!!

What a rockin' week!!! Thanks, TCM, for groovin' it to the max!!!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

>

Wednesday daytime is TOTALLY rockin' with a day long tribute to films based upon the works of author W Somerset Maugham!!! THE CIRCLE (1925) directed by Frank Borzage and starring Eleanor Boardman!!! Then pre-code time with an early talkie: STRICTLY UNCONVENTIONAL (1930) with Paul Cavanagh and Catherine Dale Owen!!!

Did you know that STRICTLY UNCONVENTIONAL (1930) is a remake of the 1925 silent movie THE CIRCLE? So it will be interesting to see both versions on the same day.

Mark, as I've noted here before, your marvelous enthuasism for all things movie classics is infectious. You make me want to just sit down and start watching all these gems that you describe with marvelous erudition and accuracy.

I'm just curious: if you were to pick three horror movies to take with you on an island, which are the trio of shockers would you choose? And why?

I always eagerly await your weekly Groove Hard entries. They make everybody's day!

Thank you so much, Princess, for your kind words!!!

Only 3, huh??? OMG, I dunno if I can do it!

Well....DRACULA (1931), because it's my favorite horror actor in his finest hour!

THE BLACK CAT (1934) with my two favorite horror actors at the top of their game, and in equal parts, in a very moody, atmospheric thriller with lots of naughty chills going on, and even more beneath the surface!

FRANKENSTEIN (1931), this one always gets me every time and never gets old.

I'd probably try to sneak in AC MEET FRANKENSTEIN and THE OLD DARK HOUSE though!!! :P

And gosh...I left off a ton, a veritable TON, of goodies. I'd probably cheat and bring 10 or 20! :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings