Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

one of the worst ever

johnbabe

i just have to get this off my chest - saturday evening past, the essential film of course was "Camille" with Garbo in her finest performance - then TCM showed Gigi which is a truly lovely and beautiful film - TCM was showing films about courtesans - ok - those two films respresent the sad side and the whimsical side of such a life but to then show a trashy dated junked out film called DuBarry ( a real cheapee from Warners) I know at once it could NOT be MGM althouigh some of the actors were MGM people (probably being punished by LB Mayer) it was the most stupid idiotic non-story line bit of junk and dated trash that TCM has ever shown to my knowledge - I hope they put it in the trash bin and leave it there - TCM shows many films from 1934 and most of them are not dated and do not show their age in acting, or anything else - but this film made be disappointed in TCM's choice of a junk film to follow those two aforementioned classics - then I see that in January TCM is airing Anna Christie at 6AM in the morning - go figure - that is Garbo's first talkie an Oscar nominated performance to boot and it is not dated and is an O'Neill play - why do not they show junk films in such silly time slots instead of classics - anyway bottom line DuBarry is a junk film please keep it off of TCM's schedule - thank you very much!

> {quote:title=johnbabe wrote:

> }{quote}i just have to get this off my chest... a trashy dated junked out film called DuBarry...it was the most stupid idiotic non-story line bit of junk and dated trash that TCM has ever shown to my knowledge - I hope they put it in the trash bin and leave it there...anyway bottom line DuBarry is a junk film please keep it off of TCM's schedule - thank you very much!

Okay, we see that you didn't like it. But you shouldn't demand that it be thrown away and never shown again.

Here is a current thread about the movie in which several TCM viewers clearly enjoyed it very much and were glad to have seen it:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=166828&tstart=15

Thanks for the plug on the thread. ;)

I actually don't see why MADAME DU BARRY should be called dated. If it is, then so is any Garbo film of the same period. There is such a thing as being dated in the right ways when it comes to early sound cinema and that's about as far as I could call MADAME DU BARRY dated.

Certainly can't recommend any film being trashed just because I don't like it. One should just use the remote control and either change the channel or turn the set off.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings