Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do Any Americans Get TFO...

RMeingast

Just wondering if any Americans get the French-language channel TFO...

Late Friday night-early Saturday a.m. they aired the French classic ``La Règle du jeu`` (``The Rules of the Game``) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rules_of_the_Game

http://www1.tfo.org/cine/critiques/la-regle-du-jeu'>http://www1.tfo.org/cine/critiques/la-regle-du-jeu'>http://www1.tfo.org/cine/critiques/la-regle-du-jeu'>http://www1.tfo.org/cine/critiques/la-regle-du-jeu

And TFO often airs many other fantastic classic films. Since it`s a French-language TV channel here in Ontario, Canada, they air foreign non-French films with French subtitles or dubbed in French (film could also be originally in English, German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, etc., with French subtitles), and French films are in French, of course.

Anyway, just wondering if any Americans can get this excellent channel by cable or rabbit ears or whatever...

TFO Cine here: http://www1.tfo.org/cine/

and here: http://www1.tfo.org/cine/horaire-tfo

> {quote:title=sfpcc1 wrote:}{quote}When I was in Maine on vacation the cable in some of the motels I stayed at got a French language channel from Canada. That might have been TFO.

>

> (They showed Grey's Anatomy in French. I preffered Batman in Spanish.)

That could've been any TV channel from Quebec... TFO's from Ontario and not sure how far their signal reaches: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFO#TFO_transmitters

Oh well, just curious as it's an excellent station, for films, anyway...

As for "Grey's Anatomy" in French, other than the fun of seeing the characters speaking a foreign language (dubbed), I would've changed the channel too...

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}We have CBC Windsor on Comcast cable here, but no "TFO."

>

> When I saw the thread title, I thought you were just spelling the first word of "GTFO," or "get the f*ck out!" Okay, I didn't really think that was what you meant, but I did think, 'what the heck?' :)

Thanks! I was unaware of "GTFO" but now I can use it... Learn something new here everyday... :D

CBC is not bad. They run films too. Usually Hollywood stuff but sometimes foreign classics later at night.

I like the CBC, but it is the state broadcaster and is supported by taxpayers, so it's sort of a joke to see them spend taxpayers money on airing the usual Hollywood films they do, especially during the summer. But they also run ads so they want viewers and American Hollywood films bring in the viewers.

Just that you'd think the CBC would only run Canadian movies that supported Canadian actors, etc.... Oh well...

So Americans can understand, CBC is sorta like if PBS was supported by taxpayers and was the official US government TV channel and radio station. Or if ABC, NBC, or CBS were not private broadcasters and one of them got most of their money from the government.

In Canada, we have private stations too like CTV and Global.

But the government-funded CBC is also a big one...

French CBC is called CBC Radio Canada and they, like TFO, air some really good films.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > When I saw the thread title, I thought you were just spelling the first word of "GTFO," or "get the....

> I thought he might be talking about some kind of disease that Canadians get.

Thanks Dobbs! :) Yeah, that was boneheaded of me...

Most Americans haven't heard of TFO so I should have made the thread title something better...

Your comment was funny 'tho.

Keep 'em coming... :D

About the only foreign language TV stations I've seen here in the US are Spanish-language.

I think Los Angeles and maybe San Francisco now have some kind of Asian channel.

Some of the satellite providers (two, I guess) offer a Spanish-language package and an Arabic language package of several channels each.

When I had an older big-dish antenna system years ago, I saw one US-oriented Arabic channel and also one Italian channel, and several Spanish channels.

The new Cinemoi channel on Directv sat claims to be a "French" channel, but all their films are in English and usually are English or American films, with some French documentaries dubbed in English, or in English with French sub-titles.

I receive two PBS antenna channels, one is the regular one and the other is Spanish, with a lot of soap operas and movies that don't seem to be made in Mexico. They seem to go out of their way not to reveal the name of the country where they were made. I think some are from Spain and others are from maybe Argentina and Venezuela. Maybe an occasional one from Puerto Rico.

I would imagine we Americans get a lot of diseases that most Canadians never get. :)

> {quote:title=RMeingast wrote:}{quote}

> CBC is not bad. They run films too. Usually Hollywood stuff but sometimes foreign classics later at night.

>

> I like the CBC, but it is the state broadcaster and is supported by taxpayers, so it's sort of a joke to see them spend taxpayers money on airing the usual Hollywood films they do, especially during the summer. But they also run ads so they want viewers and American Hollywood films bring in the viewers.

> Just that you'd think the CBC would only run Canadian movies that supported Canadian actors, etc.... Oh well...

>

Back in the 90s, the CBC had late shows most nights, and they were usually really good, non-Hollywood films. That's the first place I saw a Guy Maddin film *(Careful),* saw *Jesus of Montreal*, saw *This Place Called Chiapas*, and many more fine films. The Windsor station just went HD, so I've been checking their schedule regularly. They have very few films, one per week at most, it seems to me. I am glad to see that David Suzuki and The Nature of Things is still around.

Growing up in the Detroit area there was a channel 78 from Canada that may have been all French, (it's been more than 30 years.) All I remember is that to get it it seemed I had to almost break the TV in some way.

I also miss a lot of the Canadian films on the CBC, (however I'm not a Canadian so it does not really what I think.)

> {quote:title=RMeingast wrote:}{quote} ...

>

> I like the CBC, but it is the state broadcaster and is supported by taxpayers, so it's sort of a joke to see them spend taxpayers money on airing the usual Hollywood films they do, especially during the summer. But they also run ads so they want viewers and American Hollywood films bring in the viewers.

> Just that you'd think the CBC would only run Canadian movies that supported Canadian actors, etc.... Oh well...

>

> So Americans can understand, CBC is sorta like if PBS was supported by taxpayers and was the official US government TV channel and radio station. Or if ABC, NBC, or CBS were not private broadcasters and one of them got most of their money from the government.

> In Canada, we have private stations too like CTV and Global.

> But the government-funded CBC is also a big one...

> ...

>

>

>

>

>

>

Careful, RM. Americans already have a lot of misconceptions about Canada ( well, maybe not so much the intelligent people here B-) ) . They might get the impression that the CBC is the mouthpiece of the government, like in a Communist country or something .

Just to clarify, in case anyone's interested:

Although the CBC is the "national "Canadian broadcasting station ( this includes radio as well as television) , and is funded by the state, it is completely independent when it comes to its editorial content, journalists, news programs, and everything else. It often is very critical of whatever government is in power, and is anything but a "voice" parroting government policy.

I have noticed that the CBC, at least the television branch of it, has been "dumbed down" over the past few years, especially "The National" ( the evening news, basically), which has almost as many "human interest" stories now as it has hard news.

ps - Only Canadians will know what I'm talking about, but I love the "At Issue " panel and even Rex Murphy. I often don't agree with old Rex, but he's so damn smart !

Yes, I guess it's difficult to explain to the Americans...

Sorta off-topic and I forget how I got onto the subject of the CBC...

Anyway, it's like one of the traditional big American TV networks like ABC, NBC, and CBS in that CBC produces their own TV shows - as well as airing American imports - and does news and sports coverage... Except that taxpayers mostly pay for CBC.

It'd be like if Americans mostly paid for ABC, for example, through taxes.

And it is independent of government. 'Tho some Canadians would argue that and think it's biased either for or against the government depending on your views...

CBC can also be regarded as the Canadian version of the BBC.

Read more about CBC here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Broadcasting_Corporation

TFO is actually the same thing as it's funded by the Ontario government:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFO

Miss W. and I will make you Americans on message board into true Canadians someday...

As for movies on CBC, yes they show Canadian and international films, but some argue they should only be airing Canadian movies to help support the Canadian film industry.

Just what folks argue about up here in Great White North...

Anyway, enough of that. Looks like TFO and its excellent French and foreign films are only available to us up here... I just wondered if Americans could get it too because they do air great films...

Miss W. and I will make you Americans on message board into true Canadians someday...

Never happen. Miss W is already captivated by Savannah, Ga and American South

ways.

Canadians are really at our mercy at this time in history and are lucky we are your

neighbors.

Jake in the Heartland

We Americans already know a little about the situation with the British government owning the BBC.

And some of us have heard that people in England are taxed for watching it!! :)

There are supposed to be some kind of snooping government vans that drive around and pick up some kind of signal whenever they find a television on and turned to the BBC.

That sounds odd, but some of the things we do are odd in other ways. :)

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}We Americans already know a little about the situation with the British government owning the BBC.

>

> And some of us have heard that people in England are taxed for watching it!! :)

>

> There are supposed to be some kind of snooping government vans that drive around and pick up some kind of signal whenever they find a television on and turned to the BBC.

Yes, some would say it's "taxing" to watch BBC or CBC... ;)

And too bad that's not how you could pay for your Cable TV - for only the channels you actually watched, for the amount of time you actually watched them...

For all TV channels and not just the Pay TV ones...

But guess that'll happen eventually.

Instead of a flat rate, you will pay for exactly what you watch on the telly...

Anyway, I'm feeling "taxed" by this thread and need a break...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings