Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2013 Festival pass prices

Richie27

My guess would be that they need more money to pay for everything, and if you're already paying that much for that level they can try to pick up a little bit more there so they can try to keep the lower passes a little more reasonable, even though those went up a little too.

It could be a couple of factors. Putting on the Film Festival costs major dollars.

TCM has to rent Grauman's Chinese Theater (the big auditorium) for four days (they likely rent Grauman's on Thursday to set up for the big gala Opening Night film and testing of the various equipment they use). $$$$

In addition to Graumans, this year they increased the number of theaters in the adjacent Chinese complex for four days. (Thursday through Sunday). Which means they had to spend more $$$$

They rent the Egyptian Theater for four days. $$$$

This year, they rented the Cinerama Dome for a special screening of *How the West Was Won* on Sunday morning.$$$$

For 2013, will they increase the number of theaters? If they do, that will cost money. If they rent the Cinerama Dome for another screening that will cost.

In addition to the theaters, TCM also rents a number of spaces at the Roosevelt Hotel, the Club TCM space, the Lobby where Robert O tapes five days (Wednesday through Sunday), the two ballrooms upstairs --- one is where we go to pick up our badges and/or swag bags depending on your badge level----the other is the war room across the hall where TCM staffers work.

In addition to the lobby being used for Robert O tapings, they rent the lobby (and catered food) for the Opening evening meet and greet. (This year they also used an additional bar area across from where they tape). $$$$

TCM also shuts down Hollywood Blvd from Highland Blvd to Orange Street twice during the Festival. Once on Opening Night for the Red Carpet gala prior to the Opening Night film unspooling and on Saturday morning when they have the hand print ceremony in the forecourt of Grauman's. That probably costs some major bucks that goes to the City of Los Angeles. $$$$$.

The Chinese Theater complex is under new management and while the Film Festival is probably not a money maker for TCM, that doesn't mean that those who supply the theaters, the rooms, the equipment, the catered food, etc. can't increase their fees for those services and probably have.

And that doesn't even take into consideration air fare for Guest Stars and speakers who don't live in the City of Angels (along with hotel costs) and the cost of TCM staffers for at least five days (air fare, hotel, food, etc). Considering how much they do, they do it without a large number of staffers.

In addition, they hire additional camera and sound crews to shoot events, shoot interviews with fans of the channel and shoot Retrospectives that are used on the channel in the months after the Film Festival.

Those are just some of the reasons I can think of that may have caused the increase in the cost of passes.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}It could be a couple of factors. Putting on the Film Festival costs major dollars.

>

> TCM has to rent Grauman's Chinese Theater (the big auditorium) for four days (they likely rent Grauman's on Thursday to set up for the big gala Opening Night film and testing of the various equipment they use). $$

>

> In addition to Graumans, this year they increased the number of theaters in the adjacent Chinese complex for four days. (Thursday through Sunday). Which means they had to spend more $$

>

> They rent the Egyptian Theater for four days. $$

>

> This year, they rented the Cinerama Dome for a special screening of *How the West Was Won* on Sunday morning.$$

>

> For 2013, will they increase the number of theaters? If they do, that will cost money. If they rent the Cinerama Dome for another screening that will cost.

>

> In addition to the theaters, TCM also rents a number of spaces at the Roosevelt Hotel, the Club TCM space, the Lobby where Robert O tapes five days (Wednesday through Sunday), the two ballrooms upstairs --- one is where we go to pick up our badges and/or swag bags depending on your badge level----the other is the war room across the hall where TCM staffers work.

>

> In addition to the lobby being used for Robert O tapings, they rent the lobby (and catered food) for the Opening evening meet and greet. (This year they also used an additional bar area across from where they tape). $$

>

> TCM also shuts down Hollywood Blvd from Highland Blvd to Orange Street twice during the Festival. Once on Opening Night for the Red Carpet gala prior to the Opening Night film unspooling and on Saturday morning when they have the hand print ceremony in the forecourt of Grauman's. That probably costs some major bucks that goes to the City of Los Angeles. $$$.

>

> The Chinese Theater complex is under new management and while the Film Festival is probably not a money maker for TCM, that doesn't mean that those who supply the theaters, the rooms, the equipment, the catered food, etc. can't increase their fees for those services and probably have.

>

> And that doesn't even take into consideration air fare for Guest Stars and speakers who don't live in the City of Angels (along with hotel costs) and the cost of TCM staffers for at least five days (air fare, hotel, food, etc). Considering how much they do, they do it without a large number of staffers.

>

> In addition, they hire additional camera and sound crews to shoot events, shoot interviews with fans of the channel and shoot Retrospectives that are used on the channel in the months after the Film Festival.

>

> Those are just some of the reasons I can think of that may have caused the increase in the cost of passes.

Those are definitely many reasons to keep in mind. I know from my discussions with previous passholders that they want TCM to retain the quality of venues and quantity of films presented at the festival in April. With the cost of increasing airfares and lodging, it is also becoming much more expensive to engage and care for the film stars, biographers, historians, and filmakers hired as guest stars and panel members. Thank you for this detailed explanation, lzcutter!

You are appreciated!

{color:black}{font:Times New Roman}I can also see where the TCM Festival differs in major ways from other festivals, both cost and otherwise. Renting classic venues such as Grauman’s and closing down major thoroughfares differs considerably from a festival such as, say, Telluride, an off-the-beaten-path venue where the films and other events are shown in whatever space is available – school buildings, warehouses, etc, and the atmosphere is very informal. TCM FF has major “infrastructure” considerations that just don’t exist elsewhere. Even the New York City film festivals, of which there are many, probably don’t have the impact on local transportation that the TCM FF does in Hollywood. Festivals in Chicago or other Midwestern and smaller cities also likely don’t have to compete with the hoards of tourists who would be descending on Hollywood in any case and who compete for the same hotel space as the TCM festival-goers. This is especially true in the spring when the TCM FF takes place: the weather is generally good, and many schools and colleges are on break. Security also has to be a greater consideration for TCM because of the number of marquee celebrities whose attendance is advertised on TV weeks in advance and because many of the major venues are on the street – e.g., red carpet, hand/footprint at Grauman’s courtyard, etc. Most people attending the festival probably don’t give these issues much thought, but TCM has to. {font}

{color:black}{font:Times New Roman}CinecrazyDC{font}

• 2 weeks later...

I am very thankful for all the perks the festival provides me as a fan of classic films - the parties, the stars, the discussions and interviews are a dream come true. All the points presented here to account for the price increases are spot on. But, as a meeting planner, I know that when a hotel is sold out, with most of the guest rooms going to festival attendees, the hotel's food and beverage income rises exponentially. In return, it is practically a standard that the meeting rooms come at a great discount - if not gratis. Yes, the costs for the theaters are a large nut, and Grauman's has new ownership who may have raised the ante - but TCM also added another pass level. Raising the Spotlight cost by almost 35% in one shot, is quite a shock. I appreciate the message boards and the opportunity to share ideas. See you all in April, Dawn

• 1 month later...

I have attended this film festival from the very beginning and I have always gotten the Spotlight Pass. But I gotta admit that I was also TRULY STUNNED about the increase in price of this pass. While all passes went up marginally, this one JUMPED UP DRAMATICALLY. Its even more amazing when one thinks that these passes were ALL DISCOUNTED the first two years of the festival.

If it were not for the advantages this pass offers over the others, I would easily opt for the next pass.

Unfortunately because many others don't feel this way (which is evident by the quick sell out and subsequent waiting list for this pass) TCM can probably charge whatever they want (and PROBABLY WILL with future increases) and the passes will still sell out.

But in all fairness, one can't help but feel a bit exploited by it all.

Archived