Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alferd Hitchcock & Tippi Hedren

I recently saw a film on HBO it was called The Girl. I was so surprised to find out that Alfred Hitchcock had this sexual attraction towards Tippi Hedren. It seemed like Hitchcock's obsession with Hedren made the filming of The Bird's & Marnie very difficult for Hedren to work on these films.

I read that Tippi did not come out with this information for least twenty years. Do you think this really happened?

Actually this isn't news. And he pretty much was creepy and awful to all of his actresses. He treated Vera Miles horribly too. Tippi Hedren's delusion that she would have been a huge actress elsewhere is pretty bizarre; she is really flattering herself referring to herself as an actress she was so bad.

Hitch did seem to have a fondness for fair haired ladies...Hedren, Grace Kelly, Eva Marie Saint, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles...check out the cast of his filmography, and you'll see blondes galore on the lists. He also is rumored to have lost his heart to Grace Kelly, although that could have been said about EVERY red-blooded man at the time.

Sepiatone

I think most of this stuff is absolute trash and nonsense. Tippi Hedren had nothing but nice to things to say about Hitchcock and appeared at tributes to him saying more nice things. While he was alive. Now, that he's dead she has nothing but bad things to say.

Sounds like attention-**** if you ask me. I'm more likely to believe someone if they're willing to go on the record and say these things while the person is alive to respond.

This goes for Christina Crawford and Gary Crosby as well.

People who wait until someone is dead to "reveal all" have NO credibility in my book.

Get the hook for these attention seeking whores.

> {quote:title=Filmgoddess wrote:}{quote}

>

> People who wait until someone is dead to "reveal all" have NO credibility in my book.

>

> Get the hook for these attention seeking whores.

I absolutely agree...it's post-death attention ****. Same thing goes for that Scotty guy who wrote that recent tell-all about his Hollywood gay encounters with some of the big names.

Absolutely trash and crap, IMHO. They want credibility...then say something while the person is ALIVE and can either refute or confirm the info.

Hitchcock had a falling out with Tippi during the making of "Marnie" perhaps he realized that no mattter how hard they both tried she was never going to be the next Grace Kelly. The rumor was that Hitchcock had sexually harrased Hendren and she decline which is why her career never went anywhere. Hitchcock never used her cast her again in a leading role. The HBO portrays the director as sadistic tormentor of a helpless woman. This might be a bit more fiction than fact.

As far as I can tell, Tippi Hedren is not the primary "source" for the screenplay.

http://tv.nytimes.com/2012/10/19/arts/television/the-girl-on-hbo-with-sienna-miller-and-toby-jones.html?ref=todayspaper

"The film is called "The Girl" because that?s how Hitchcock referred to his star. It sounds dismissive, but *according to the Donald Spoto biography ?Spellbound by Beauty: Alfred Hitchcock and His Leading Ladies,? which inspired the film,* the director was so taken with this actress that he fantasized about running off with her. When she spurned his advances, he made her life a living hell on the set and behind the scenes."

---------------------

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/magazine/the-revenge-of-tippi-hedren-alfred-hitchcocks-muse.html

NYT - *How did you react to the news of his death?*

TH - Relief.

NYT - *Of course, you must not have gone to his funeral.*

TH - I did.

NYT - *Why? I would assume the only reason you?d want to see his grave is to spit on it.*

TH - You don?t get it. He ruined my career, but he didn?t ruin my life. That time of my life was over. I still admire the man for who he was.

> {quote:title=tilden72 wrote:}{quote}I recently saw a film on HBO it was called The Girl. I was so surprised to find out that Alfred Hitchcock had this sexual attraction towards Tippi Hedren. It seemed like Hitchcock's obsession with Hedren made the filming of The Bird's & Marnie very difficult for Hedren to work on these films.

> I read that Tippi did not come out with this information for least twenty years. Do you think this really happened?

Hi Tilden. This issue is also dealt with at some length in the "Films and Filmmakers" forum under the "Hopkins as Hitchcock 2012" thread:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=166472&tstart=0

That thread discusses both the upcoming feature film "Hitchcock" being released on November 23, 2012, and starring Sir Anthony Hopkins as Hitch AND the recent HBO TV movie "The Girl" with Toby Jones as Hitch.

"The Girl" is about Hedren and Hitch, while the upcoming feature film is going to be about Hitch and the making of the movie "Psycho": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchcock_%28film%29

The trailer for the upcoming feature film "Hitchcock" with Anthony Hopkins is here: http://www.trailerpulse.com/movie/29/hitchcock-trailer

As for Tippi Hedren, apparently she first told her story to the writer Donald Spoto while he was researching his book "The Dark Side of Genius: The Life of Alfred Hitchcock" that was published in 1983. (BTW, Hitchcock died April 29, 1980. Alma died July 6, 1982.) So this book came out with the allegations after both Hitch and Alma were dead and unable to respond to the allegations.

This interview with Hedren states that she first discussed the matter with Spoto for his book

(Dargay, Sharon. "Actress, animal activist: Tippi Hedren to meet fans at "The Birds" screening." "Observer & Eccentric." 27 September 2012. Web. 23 October 2012. http://www.hometownlife.com/article/20120927/ENT/209270544/Actress-animal-activist):

“I trusted Donald so much. We had been friends for a long time when he wrote the book,” she said, referring to The Dark Side of Genius. “He was the first one I ever discussed this with. I trusted that he would treat it in a sophisticated way."

And you can read for yourself Hedren's story in Spoto's book "The Dark Side of Genius:

The Life of Alfred Hitchcock":

http://books.google.ca/books?id=9oIkYvZQr0MC&q=hedren#v=snippet&q=hedren&f=false

Cursor down to page 475 in the book above... Guess the incident allegedly happened in her movie trailer on the set.

Anyway, my advice is to keep an open mind. Hedren may very well be telling the truth. And it is very sad and troubling, to say the least, if it is true. But nobody witnessed what happened so it is almost impossible to know the truth. What allegedly happened was between Hedren and Hitch and only those two people know. And Hitch is dead and can't defend himself.

Best to keep an open mind on the matter, as I try and do - I like both Hedren and Hitchcock...

Hope this helps...

How unfortunate that ugly guys always get that reaction from girls. :) If it had been a Cary Grant type, or a Paul Newman, Tippi would be bragging about it. :)

This story reminds me of an old joke I used to hear in college years ago. A guy in a bar with a male friend tells his friend what kind of crude pick-up line he always says to strange women he meets in bars. After hearing the line, the friend replies, "Gosh, don't you get your face slapped a lot??" And the guy with the crude line replies, "Yeah, but I also get a lot of ...."

Hitch probably knew the biggest "secret" in Hollywood..... that for every 6 aspiring starlets who turned him down, 2 or 3 others would giggle and follow him home.

Anna Nicole Smith and husband:

http://live.drjays.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/annahoward.jpg

Hi K.

Another article here by Richard Brody from "The New Yorker" on "The Girl." It's a long review with reader comments at the bottom:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/movies/2012/10/the-girl-hitchcock-hedren-and-horror.html

Spoto's first book on Hitch ("The Dark Side of Genius: The Life of Alfred Hitchcock") had the original allegations by Hedren against Hitchcock and I included a link to the book and the allegations (on page 475 and other pages) in that book in my post below. You can search it at the link to it on Google Books to your heart's content.

His second book on Hitch, 2008's "Spellbound by Beauty: Alfred Hitchcock and His Leading Ladies," pretty much re-hashes and adds to the stories in Spoto's earlier book:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=8eF8rJDZvPYC&dq=spellbound+by&q=hedren#v=snippet&q=hedren&f=false

You can search to your heart's content at the Google Books link for the book above.

One thing is that in the chapter notes at the end of that book above, Spoto remarks that he first talked with Hedren about her work on "The Birds" and "Marnie" in June of 1974 (Page 306. Notes for page 244.). But I don't know if that was when she first shared her allegations about Hitchcock with Spoto. It could have been later?? I don't know?? In any case, before the 1983 book was published and then it became public knowledge.

Also check out this video of the American Film Institute Life Achievement Award ceremony for Hitchcock on March 7, 1979 at which Hedren was present and took part.

She is introduced by Ernest Lehman at the 3:05 mark of the video:

Hedren then introduces Sean Connery. This event was just a little more than a year before Hitchcock died on April 29, 1980.

Interestingly, there's no Wiki article on the HBO TV film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_%282012_HBO_film%29

Nothing there?? Wonder what's that's about??

Anyway, hope this helps the original poster Tilden...

Edited by: RMeingast on Oct 23, 2012 7:45 PM

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}How unfortunate that ugly guys always get that reaction from girls. :) If it had been a Cary Grant type, or a Paul Newman, Tippi would be bragging about it. :)

I ain't gonna touch that one, Dobbs... :0

Another recent related item is that Susan Sarandon is claiming she was sexually assaulted many years ago when she auditioned for something. So far, no names.

She did say it was a "casting couch" situation.

Her full story will be in November's issue of "Elle" magazine and I don't know if she names people there?

Article from "Huffington Post" with Sarandon's allegations here (also video but have to wait until after ad is finished before it starts):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/14/susan-sarandon-assualted_n_1965363.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

That's completely neurotic if you ask me. The NYTimes interview makes her sound worse than I ever imagined. And she really flatters herself to think that she had a "career." Without Hitchcock, she'd be a perfume tester at Bloomingdale's.

Hedren, apparently, wants it both ways.

Oh, and you can add to the list of attention-whores ... that big fat liar Esther Williams.

As other have noted it is hard to determine who is telling the truth and what the actual truth is in a 'he said she said' type of situation especially after one of the parties is dead and cannot defend themselves. But if this is the case how do you or anyone else know who are the 'big fat liars'?

i.e. isn't it just as much folly to assume Hedren or others are liars as it is to assume they are telling the truth?

Sir Hitch tried. He really tried to turn Tippi into another Grace Kelly,,but she was no Grace. Grace glided across the screen with her cool blonde beauty like a lovely swan serenely captivating not only moviegoers but Academy members as well.The talent...the looks Tippi had could not measure up..She simply did not have the star magic.

Hitch probably knew the biggest "secret" in Hollywood..... that for every 6 aspiring starlets who turned him down, 2 or 3 others would giggle and follow him home.

Ewwwwww. They must have been very, very, very, very, very, VERY desperate.

Very.

What a perv.

Hitchcock wasn't the only game in town. Certainly not the most powerful at the time. He ruined her career because she refused his "advances"?

BAH!

What Hitch was doing with or to his (or TRYING to do) leading ladies would be well known to most insiders. If I were a producer or director at that time and Hitch would put out the word that some good looking actress was "difficult' or suggested that no one else bother to hire her, it would be easy for me to see through his reasons, and I would hire her on the spot! Simply because she had the good sense to turn down his advances.

What ruined Hedren's career was her limited talent.

Sepiatone

Don't know why that reply was to me since I didn't make those comments.

What I did post is that it is very difficult to know what the truth is in these situations. (even if all the parties are alive to give their side). Just call me Switzerland!

You're underestimating the power of the perv.

You're thinking with today's sensibilities. You're thinking as an independent moviemaker might.

Think male dominated studios and any female who didn't cooperate was labeled.

Pervs like Hitch and the brothers Warner et al were kings, and women were mere playthings.

But we live in an age of victimology in American culture now. Who knows how much is really the truth and how much is self-serving rationalization? Nobody.

I watched Tippi talking about that episode, and she never mentioned what it was he actually proposed that she do, but from her look I imagined it had to be truly reprehensible, since she'd been around show business long enough to know that routine propositions should be simply turned aside and that most people would just forget them. She was apparently horrified by what he wanted. Demanded, she said, not just suggested. I believed her. Perhaps he didn't ruin her career, but she believed he did, and I never got the impression that she was stupid.