Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Worst movie you've ever seen?

boy, a lot of interesting responses here. I'm not sure about the "worst" movies I've ever seen, but there are some movies that I just absolutely hate. Not sure why I have such a deep visceral reaction to them, but they sure p*ss me off. Top of the list would be a movie from about ten years ago called "Pay It Forward". I remember walking out of the theatre wanting to do physical harm to each and every person involved in that wretched movie. (a little over the top, but I mean, I HATED that p.o.s.)

> {quote:title=MacCaulayConnor wrote:

> t}{quote}op of the list would be a movie from about ten years ago called "Pay It Forward". I remember walking out of the theatre wanting to do physical harm to each and every person involved in that wretched movie. (a little over the top, but I mean, I HATED that p.o.s.)

I almost mentioned that film also. The ex brought it home as a rental and by the end I had to be reminded that it would be too expensive to fix the large projection set after I put my foot through it.

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}It's hard to pin down any one movie as "worst", but just about all my contenders would have been made between about 1967 and 1973: Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate, Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, Last Tango in Paris, etc., etc. There were also some great films being made then, like The Panic in Needle Park, Mississippi Mermaid, and They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, but by and large movies made in that period had a bigger dose of pretentiousness than those made in any other era before or since.

{font:Times New Roman}I agree with your choices and don’t understand why they are considered classics. The music from *B&C* and *The Graduate* and the restaurant scene in *FEP* are the only good parts about any of them. I’ve never seen *Mississippi Mermaid* but appreciate your other two picks. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}I disagree with ginnyfan about *Tender Mercies.* Something did happen; a washed-up drunken musician and decent young widow take a chance on each other and slowly but surely he finds self-respect and a renewed career. The story unfolds in realistic fashion as he deals with a nasty ex-wife and a daughter he barely knows while forming a bond with his new stepson. This was a simple true-life story beautifully told. {font}

"Manos Hands of Fate" is probably the worst movie I have ever seen. Of course I then saw the MST3K version of the film and it was hysterical.

I walked out on Cassavetes's 1970 film "Husbands," I thought it was so boring and it was giving me an awful headache. I know the critics either loved it or hated it. I hated it and thought it awful film.

Lori

THE GOODBYE GIRL -- Even though I liked other Neil Simon shows, I walked out of this one at the theatre. Richard Dreyfuss's smart-aleck character, the way-too-precocious kid played by Quinn Cummings, and Simon's then-wife Marsha Mason, who just never appealed to me, added up to a movie that I couldn't even sit through. Maybe I'd like it more now -- it's the kind of movie that I thought I should like but just couldn't at the time.

That reminds be of another all-time clinker with a too-hip adult and a too-precocious kid: A Thousand Clowns.

Thanks for mentioning Pay It Forward. I hate saying it because it came highly recommended by a friend, but it had a cheap, lousy "ironic" ending. Same with Cast Away. Don't make me come along for the ride only to junk the car at the end.

I usually enjoy "so bad they're good" movies, so a movie has to really make me hate it for me to call it the worst ever. Catwoman made me so angry because I was looking forward to it for so long. Originally the rumor was that they would bring back Pfeiffer and Burton, and then years went by and hands were changed and we ended up with THAT. One of the only two movies I've ever rooted for Sharon Stone in.

That reminds be of another all-time clinker with a too-hip adult and a too-precocious kid: A Thousand Clowns.

Worse than either of them was Gene Saks as Leo, the kid show host who employed Robards. The only reason I stayed with the film on its recent airing was to see NYC in the period when I was growing up.

The one that immediately springs to mind, though I am sure there are others, is "Batman Returns" ( 1992). It is the only film I ever considered walking out on but I felt it wasn't fair to at least see it through to its conclusion . Generally I love Tim Burton movies but after seeing this mess of a film all I could think was , "why???" So much talent wasted on a film that was so boring and bland and downright gross ( the penguin was a hideous characterization ... shame on you Danny Devito LOL ). Ultimately my feelings about this film can be perfectly summed up by the guy sitting two rows ahead of my during the showing ... he got sick and vomited all over the floor. Of course he was drunk, but I envied him when he left in the middle of the movie.

There are a lot of movies that I think of as "so bad they're good", that I can laugh through like *The Crowded Sky* (the method actor of whom his agent says, "Even his hostilities have hostilities"). Or *Skidoo*, or a bunch of those 1960s sci-fi movies with ultra-low budgets. There's one -- I think it's *They Came From Beyond Space* -- where one of the characters ends up with what looks like a spaghetti colander on his head to block out mind-control rays! Oh dear god it's bad but funny.

Then there are movies that aren't quite that bad, that I like to call, "Not very good, but a hell of a lot of fun". I think I used that exact line when I posted about *Violent Saturday* some years back.

And then there's *Dondi*, which is so bad it's not even "so bad it's good". A plot involving a dumb lie, and the characters telling ever bigger lies to keep the original lie from becoming known. An unsympathetic and irritating child actor. Arnold Stang was irritating too, and I had no interest in the relationship between David Janssen and the love interest. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

I also had a severely visceral reaction to *Member of the Wedding*. I wanted Ethel Waters to smack Julie Harris into the next county.

Worse than either of them was Gene Saks as Leo, the kid show host who employed Robards. The only reason I stayed with the film on its recent airing was to see NYC in the period when I was growing up.

I think this was just one of those movies that are telling us to appreciate the subtle wit and charm of seemingly obnoxious New Yorkers. It worked better for the Dead End Kids than it did for the creeps in this one.

The only movie I can definately remember walking out on was 'Gone With The Wind'. I left at intermission, unable to take any more of what felt to me to be overblown, overlong, overwrought over acting.

But I don't think it's the worst movie ever. Just one I can't get through.

My name is Forrest Chump.. people call me.. Ok, Ok.. I know it is GUMP, not Chump. :D But oh me, does that movie ever get on my nerves. (though my husband and I do like to quote lines from it.. I can't hand him an icecream cone w/ out saying: "Ice cream, Lieutenant..." But I digress.)

I think I MIGHT have liked this movie more if it had not had such a build up from.. well.. practically the whole world. I kept hearing over and over (and OVER) how wonderful it was. So by the time I saw it, I was expecting.. well.. something.

But instead of loving it (the way I was TOLD I would, ha) I just felt it was pretty silly for the most part. Not sure if it really IS the "worst movie" I've ever seen.. but it IS the one that popped into my head first.

"And that's all I have to say about that" :-)

The World Moves On (1934)

Oscar bait of the worst and most idiotic kind. The nadir of the WWI movie genre. The only interesting parts are lifted from Raymond Bernard's Wooden Crosses (literally - Fox owned the U.S. rights and simply cut part of the film into The World Moves On.)

Technically, I've see far worse, but this is the kind of thing that deserves the utmost contempt.

Speaking of Johnny Depp, maybe not the worst ever but certainly one of has to be 'THE TOURIST' 2010 staring Angeliana Jolie & Johnny Depp. It was nothing more then 'Glitz & Glamour' and Johnny Depp seemed to be sleep walking throughout the movie. It would have made a nice Travelogue as the only good thing about it was the scenery of Venice...........

Has Jolie ever done any movie that was good? Vastly over-rated, I think she's kinda the kiss of death for any movie in which she appears (in terms of their finished quality). An unconvincing actress, unable to project genuineness.

>Fedya said: There are a lot of movies that I think of as "so bad they're good", that I can laugh through

Exactly, you can't count movies like that or "3 Stooges in Orbit" type either-they're geared towards kids and you expect them to be silly.

It's much worse when you're expecting a movie to be good and it's just awful.

The only two films I ever walked out of (and I sat through Clash of The Titans in the theater!) was "An Officer & A Gentleman" and the second Indiana Jones movie. Terrible disappointments.

My hatred for talentless Tom Hanks is legendary and several people urged me to give Forest Gump a try. They _assured_ me it was creative and Hanks does a great job in the role. I cannot believe ANYone could make it through that movie without puking. It was the most insulting horrid excuse for exposing celluliod ever.

And I gave the Hankster another try for The DaVinci Code, only because of Audrey Tatau and the kind of interesting book it came from. Ugh. Never again. The inept acting actually overshadowed the story.

Recent horrors like The Matrix, 5th Element and Sin City taught me the valuable lesson that movies made today are just plotless, dark CGI violence made for idiot boys...I simply stay home.

You can only alienate an audience so long before they give up and realize it's just a waste of money going to a theater.

Andy M said: This was just one of those movies that are telling us to appreciate the subtle wit and charm of seemingly obnoxious New Yorkers. It worked better for the Dead End Kids than it did for the creeps in this one.

Haha cute! And I'm ONE of those obnoxious New Yorkers!

> {quote:title=Sandypink wrote:}{quote}

> There are so many but recently, the dark shadows remake with Johnny Depp.

>

>

>

Yeah, that looked baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, didn't go- possibly would have if it hadn't looked so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. And yet, a lot of reviewers went really easy on it.

Really, Dark Shadows as a comedy? For effin real? What about Dark Shadows struck you as being funny, Tim Burton? Like "hah-hah" funny? Did Mars Attacks! teach you nothing, Tim Burton?

I hate you, Tim Burton.

I love a good cringe as much as anyone however, I had to draw the line at NOTHING BUT TROUBLE 1991, ABSOLUTE WORST!!! On a Siskel and Ebert scale I'd give it the middle finger, sideways! The first film that I ever walked out on, there is absolutely no redeemingly value to this piece of celluloid waste whatsoever. It's a race too close to call when you pit it against the Mel Brooks stinkfest DRACULA DEAD AND LOVING IT, I walked out on this film as well, at the dollar theatre no less...worst buck ever spent! Mel, if ever we meet you owe me a greenback!!!!!!

There seems to be a lot of untoward animosity for Johnny Depp and Tom Hanks here. For those of you who dislike *Forrest Gump* I suggest you find the BOOK. Talk about wasted pages. I liked GUMP, but can't argue over *The DaVinci Code* , which bored me to the bottom of my bowels.

As for Depp, *The Tourist* , as yawn inducing as it was, is STILL several shades better than that *Desperado* sequel he was in. THAT heap of "narcolepsy-in-a-film can" I never saw the end of. One of the few times I TOO, walked out on a movie.

Just about every M. Knight Shamalama( or whatEVER the f**k his name is)movie belongs listed here as well. Starting with *The Village* , one of the biggest lumps of crap known to filmgoers.

If I were a shallow teen aged girl, I might have liked *Twilight* more than I did. But being an adult male with more than 1/4 a brain, I couldn't get into it. So needless to say, the following sequels were unseen by me.

Somebody earlier mentioned they didn't like *Bonnie and Clyde* , but listed *Five Easy Pieces* as one they did. For me, it's the other way around. FEP was one of those movies where critics and moviegoers alike mistook "thick" for "deep". But then, I'm of the mind who thinks putting KAREN BLACK in ANY movie ruins it.

For me as well, the only Jim Carrey movies I could sit through were *The Mask* and *The Truman Show* . The first because, understanding the nature of the movie, it was one where his comedy style really fits, the second because the storyline was interesting. Oh, and that ANDY KAUFMAN movie he did wasn't that bad either.

I'm fortunate in that I have a nephew who seems to LOVE ridiculous movies. Whenever he raves about some POS movie as being "excellent", I know it's one to be avoided. UNfortunately, I had to learn this the hard way.

Sepiatone