Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Worst movie you've ever seen?

My vote is for a film that absolutely hits its mark.....the filmmakers wound up with exactly the type of film they wanted. So it's not technical or performance-oriented shortcomings that make it "my worst film ever." I simply hate the main theme of the story.

*Hannibal* (2001), directed by Ridley Scott, starring Anthony Hopkins, Julianne Moore.

I was repulsed by the attempts to turn the Cannibal into a suave, noble and heroic romantic figure. Equally repulsive were the gratuitous depictions of cruelty enacted upon the Ray Liotta and Gary Oldman characters. These characters are allowed to suffer savagery because the filmmakers deliberately and unconscionably portray Lecter as being morally superior to his victims.

Sepiatone--

Definitely with you on the TRUMAN SHOW - the only Jim Carrey movie I could EVER stand, and I actually like it. Here again, maybe it was having low expectations for Jim's performance that made me enjoy the film.

I think expectations can either make or break a film for a lot of people. Rather like GONE WITH THE WIND-- I love it, but I know lots of people dislike it, and I think for many people the reason is that been praised to the skies for so many years, so by the time they see it, they think "Really? That's what all the fuss was about?"

This is why I think in the next few decades CITIZEN KANE will fall off as "greatest American film ever" because all those film students who have been/will be forced to study it have said/will say to themselves, "This is the best we could do? Really?"

I've noticed myself and many of my friends really hating a film because we expected it to be amazing and it wasn't, then seeing it later with our "I hate this movie" expectations, and enjoying it. I know my friend hated GLADIATOR the first time he saw it because he had such high expectations, but the second time he saw it he really enjoyed it.

Psychology, my dear Watson.

You know what I've noticed about this thread? With a couple of exceptions, just about all the hated worst-ever film titles are movies made after 1960.

Is this to be expected, because, after all, we are all presumably "classic"/old movie fans? Or is it because we have a certain expectation when we go out to a first-run movie theatre and the disappointment when a new film turns out to be bad skews our perspective on it? After all, when we're sitting comfortably at home with a cup of tea, or a glass of wine, or whatever, completely relaxed and not having paid any money for whatever we're viewing, perhaps our response to the film is proportionate to the anticipation around it.

As several people here have already more or less said. :P

Still, putting all that about "build-up" and "let-down" aside, there are few old films being mentioned here. Now let's not get into that "anything made after 1960 is rubbish anyway" discussion.

There have to be lots of bad old films too.

I think they're not getting listed here because: 1 The really bad ones from decades past simply don't get shown very much. I mean the truly wretched ones. and

2 I think we have different expectations when we tune into TCM or set up a DVD ( or Netflix, whatever) of an old movie. Even if it's not really very good, we sort of enjoy it almost by virtue of its age. I know I've seen lots of old movies on TCM that really weren't very good, but I had so much fun looking at the fedora hats and the peplum skirts and listening to lines like, "Say, sister, you look plenty good to me" that I don't feel I had an unenjoyable experience when the sub-standard old movie is over.

Anyone know what I mean?

I would be hard pressed to select one that was the worst, but here are three that I completely disliked:

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Dudley Moore and Peter Cooke)

The Diary of a Mad Houswife

Wholly Moses.

In fact, in the last case, I went to see it because of the trailer. It turned out that the only funny scenes in the whole film were in the trailer.

But worst movies are very subjective.

Oh, I can think of some pretty bad pre-1960 films, and not necessarily just those from Monogram or PRC, where one tends to lower expectations anyway just because of the source.

TRADE WINDS had two of my favorites in it, Joan Bennett and Ann Sothern, but once is all that it's ever going to get from me.

I love Alan Ladd and Michael Curtiz, but THE MAN IN THE NET just bored me silly.

Cagney was my first favorite actor, I'll watch anything that he's in but A LION IS IN THE STREETS and THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE both make me groan.

SWING YOUR LADY with Bogart is one that I'll never watch again.

Hmmm..."worst movie I've ever seen", ya ask?! Well, I DO remember staying all the way through Zardoz at the Avco Center Cinema in Westwood CA back in '74, and afterward as I was walking out of that theater thinking to myself that EITHER that was the WORST freakin' movie I has ever seen at this point in my life(not withstanding all the low budget exploitation misfires I've sat through), OR that I was possibly the densest moviegoer in the history of cinema because for the LIFE of me I couldn't understand what point the director of that Sean Connery-starring turkey might have had in mind!

(...though I suppose on the bright side, it DID also star Charlotte Rampling, for whom at the time I was developing a major league case of the HOTS!)

Edited by: Dargo2 on Oct 25, 2012 9:08 PM

*When Harry Met Sally* ? Why? What was so unbearable about that? I kind of like *WHMS*. It's not a great film or anything, but it's very entertaining, I like the characters, I like the dialogue - what's not to like? It's been called kind of a poor man's Woody Allen comedy (smart people discussing their love affairs and their philosophies...), and I think that's kind of apt. I like Woody Allen movies, by the way.

Anyway, I suppose I can understand if someone doesn't like this film. Not for everybody's taste, etc. etc. But the worst film you've ever seen? You can't forgive the people who made it?

I'm really interested to hear why you dislike it so intensely.

Would you mind explaining the reasons for your hatred of the film?

(don't worry, I won't report your comments to the actors' relatives. ]:) )

> You know what I've noticed about this thread? With a couple of exceptions, just about all the hated worst-ever film titles are movies made after 1960.

You want one from before 1960? And from a major studio to boot? OK, how about [*Half Angel*|http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043615/] (1951)? Loretta Young plays a woman who hates lawyer Joseph Cotten by day, but sleepwalks at night, and when she sleepwalks, her other personality loves Cotten.

There's also a terribly unrealistic courtroom scene as the climax.

• Like 1

I have to amend my previous statement--WHMS did not make me hate Carrie Fisher.

I was in a really bad place in my life & the whole plot seemed ridiculous. I hated Meg Ryan's wishy washy nature as Sally. I just hated it & was angry for watching it. I was so upset I couldn't stop talking about my anger for a week. It's been 20 years & it still makes my blood boil when I think about it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVAIk5Aaze2v7Ac1X96l9

"Yah, mine dear Helen, Zis definitely zounds like a classic case of 'transference", If I've ever heard one! Zo, vood you care to talk more zabout zis 'very bad place' you ver at zome 20 years ago, and zen MAYBE ve can get past all of zis zo you can come to appreciate zis movie!"

;)

So someone else saw what I saw in Gump. All the publicity went into those tricks about having him meet JFK and all that. No one watched the actual plot. Where all men are damaged and become millionaires and all women just sleep around at will. And make decisions that make no sense.

"Boxing Helena" Whatever Kim Basinger paid to get out of that sick disaster was money well spent !

Most films that end in III or IV etc...

As has been said, I don't stick around for the bad ones, my life is to short to waste that time.

> {quote:title=Geraldddddd wrote:}{quote} So someone else saw what I saw in Gump. All the publicity went into those tricks about having him meet JFK and all that. No one watched the actual plot. Where all men are damaged and become millionaires and all women just sleep around at will. And make decisions that make no sense. ...

Look, I am not a big fan of *Forest Gump*. I don't like it as much as those who raved about it, and I don't dislike it as much as many seem to. I'm sort of benignly indifferent to it - seen it twice, liked it a little better the second time, but I wouldn't put it on a list of either most or least favourite.

"That said", I have to disagree with geralddd's comment that "all men are damaged and become millionaires". There were only two major male characters in it, and yup, they became millionaires, but that was part of the story. The Gary Sinise character went through a lot before he became rich-and anyway, the whole thing is a kind of fairy tale, it's supposed to be a fantasy, or an allegory, or something. Anyway, not to be taken seriously as any kind of reflection of real life in any way. Whether it's successful as such is another story, but it's pointless to criticize it for being unrealistic because "all men are damaged and then become millionaires."

What about the legend of Dick Whittington, a poor lad who scrubbed the pots and wandered to London, where he remained a poor lad who scrubbed pots until he made a felicitous connection with a cat and a ship, after which he became the equivalent of a millionaire ?

But the real reason I'm taking the time to respond to this post is the comment "...and all women just sleep around at will." First, why single out the "women" who sleep around, what about the male characters who do it? Second, there is only one female character in the film (not counting Forest's mother) and part of the story is about how messed-up she is. The least objectionable part of her behaviour is her "sleeping around" , except for whatever residual damage it does to herself.

Some of my favourite movies include "women who sleep around at will.". It's not the worst thing a woman can do. Or a man, for that matter.

The one person I know who didn't like GUMP said it was because, "All that Sh** happening to one guy? C'mon...". All we could do was remind him that it wasn't a documentary. People who liked it got something from it that differs from person to person. Gump was simple minded, so he lived by a simple philosophy. When told to run, he ran, and became a star of the Crimson Tide. When told to take apart a rifle then reassemble it in a particular fashion, he did so and was considered a "genius" by his DI. Told to keep his eye on the ball, he did just that and became a ping-pong phenom. Life is only as difficult as you allow it to be. When hardships come along, take it all in stride and you'll get through it. Sure, in GUMP the situations were often exagerrated, but largely to entertainingly illustrate the point. His love for Jenny was pure and non judgemental. What she did with her life didn't matter to him. She was Jenny, and that's all he cared about. He didn't care that Lt. Dan didn't have any legs. He admired him, and in doing so unwittingly reminded Lt. Dan that his death wish was foolish, and life is always worth living.

One could do worse than to be like Forrest Gump.

Ahem...

If some here are going to blast certain movies as "worst" based on crappy endings, then we have to include *Mr. Holland's Opus* . Overall, I liked the movie and story. What dissapointed me was that in 30 or so years of working on his big composition, he managed to come up with only FIVE MINUTES of music!

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=doctom666 wrote:}{quote} anything by ED WOOD that are obviously bad.

Precisely what I enjoy about Ed's films...the fact they are low-budget and cheap. I personally find most of his films very entertaining. It's been said that Eddie had a true love of moviemaking, and he did have talent....his only drawback was being hampered by having NO budget on any of his films.

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> When told to run, he ran, and became a star of the Crimson Tide. When told to take apart a rifle then reassemble it in a particular fashion, he did so and was considered a "genius" by his DI. Told to keep his eye on the ball, he did just that and became a ping-pong phenom. Life is only as difficult as you allow it to be.

I think the general dispute with that assessment is that in real life, people don't always succeed just because they did everything they were supposed to. Lots of people who worked hard, showed up every day and gave it their best shot don't get even what they were working for, much less fame and fortune. That's why I listed that other Hanks film, Cast Away-- he worked hard to get off the island and still didn't get squat. Granted, I was working on recovering from an accident at the time, so that wasn't really a movie I needed to be watching at that point in my life anyway.

Hmmm. I'm a little disappointed that we're talking modern film, but I'm going to ignore that. For me, the worst movie is easily Breakfast at Tiffany's. Holly was the most self-serving and stupid woman I've ever seen on film. I can say with absolute honesty, that I hated her by the end of the movie and was hoping that she would either die or he would just dump her and find someone else. How I sat through the entire thing is beyond me. I should be awarded a medal for managing to sit through it.

I thought I was the only other person in TCM-land who can't stand this film (except for the orange tabby and some nice shots of George's blue eyes). Holly is a terrible person and so is the Mickey Rooney character <-- like fingernails on a chalk board. I just can't stand it.

Wow, count me in this "I don't like BAT" club. Yes, I also thought I was the only person who didn't like this movie. I saw it once years ago, and that was it. I now don't even remember most of it, beyond the fact that Holly Golightly annoyed the bejeezus out of me.