Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Temporarily Unavailable

Mady2

I am a classic movie fan and watch TCM for hours at a time. I wondered if anyone else was having the problem I am having. If I watch 2 or 3 movies in a row I get a large pop-up on the screen saying that if I wish to continue watching this channel I must press the select button on my remote control or the channel will become temporarily unavailable. If I don't press the select button right away, the channel is replaced with a notice that Turner Classic Movies is temporarily unavailable (off air). I admit that I can restore the channel by changing the channel and after that channel comes up, I can press the numbers for TCM and the channel comes back on the air but, not only was the movie interrupted but I have missed part of the movie. After several phone calls to my cable company I finally got someone to admit that they were doing it to save bandwidth. They said I could watch it on On Demand. It doesn't help with the fact that I have missed about 15 minutes of the movie because of this.. Not all TCM movies are available On Demand so this is very irritating. Anyone else having this happen to them??? If so, what did you do?

This happens to me on any channel, it just seems to happen if the cable box has been on for perhaps 12 hours or more. So, having had two middle-of-the-night recordings ruined by this, I now make sure to turn the box off for a few minutes within a few hours of any late night archiving.

However, that doesn't do a thing for the emergency broadcast test that has ruined two other recordings. Mind you, I've only had recording capabilities for the last two months, so four screwed-up DVDs really annoyed the heck outta me.

By the way, while my screen tells me to push any button to restore the channel, it only responds if one particular button on my remote is pushed.

I also have the same problem. Missed out on " The Four Skulls of Jonathon Drake " because of this annoying feature. I called Cox Cable and received the same response as you did.

I work several midnights, so I leave my recorder on in hopes that this doesn't happen while I'm gone. Keeping the television off until I'm ready to record does seem to do the trick.

I want to tape the William Castle documentary tonight, so hopefully things will work out.

Good Luck!

Wowwwwww. As much as I hate the overpriced FIOS, I have never had this happen.

They know they couldn't tell me to watch it On Demand, since they still have Zorba the Greek On Demand and appear to change the selections once every five years.

What kind of wonderful overpriced cable company with lousy service do you have, Mady2? How long has this been happening? Have you tested this aberration out with other channels? Save bandwith? Mendacity and lies.

I have a couple of electronic things that have automatic shut-off times.

One is a DVD recorder that shuts off after about 5 hours of no use or no buttons pressed. And I also have an HD converter box that shuts off automatically after 4 or 5 hours.

Each one is automatically re-set whenever I press any button or any function, such as "play" on the recorder or when I change channels on the converter box.

Could you try just changing channels every few hours and then go right back to TCM and see if that re-sets an internal timer in your cable box?

Could it be that you folks are just experiencing an automatic shut-off device when the device thinks you've left the house with the cable box turned on but abandoned and unattended?

Could be, as it took For-Everrr for Bell to include TCM in there package deals.....my guess is that there was a lot of pressure for them to include TCM and then it was at a Very High cost.....well worth it though, I am just happy to finally have TCM. You Americans do not know howl lucky you are.....:)

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

>

> .....but could it be politics between Bell and TCM?

>

It really doesn't have anything specific to do with TCM. The same thing would happen if it were set to another channel. People here only notice it on TCM here because that's what they were watching or recording when it happened.

I think people are experiencing a new type of cable box that shuts itself off after so many hours of no channel changes.

Go to Goggle and use this search term and you'll find other people having the same problem:

cable box automatically shutting off

People might check to see if there is any way to program the box to turn on at a certain time or to change channels at a certain time. This might allow them to record movies in the middle of the night.

I think the device just needs some button pushed before it has reached its shut-off time deadline, so it will know a human is still paying attention to it. That should re-set it until it arrives at the next shut-off time.

This auto-shut-off is yet another modern electronic snafu we all have to deal with.

Ouch. So the cable company once again telling me what to do and when. I'm sure FIOS can't be far behind.

Wouldn't bother me today as they are showing some crappy Hammer stuff.

True, Janet, and Monday will be bothering me if the 'end of the world' pronouncements are true for the North East. Finally George Sanders, and my power might go out!

Is it George Sander's birthday on Monday? I love him. Looking for the bio on him. I know it's in my library somewhere. My fave role he played - a guilty pleasure - the tiger in Disney's Jungle Book. Just love that voice.

I made an attempt to cancle Charter Cable a couple months ago, but they talked me into keeping them when they dropped my bill down twenty bucks. And as many times as the cable is out when I get home from work, it seemed a good deal - for now. Trouble is, where I live in the wilds of northern Mass, there is nothing else available.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings