Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Everything we ever wanted to know about...our movie-watching habits!

misswonderly3

Yes, it's finally here, the thread you've all been waiting for ! Or maybe not.

Anyway, perhaps it's nosey, but sometimes I get curious about how people watch movies at home.You might say "Who cares" and you'd probably be right.

But just reading these threads, it looks like there are multiple ways for us to experience a film on television ( talking about TCM and dvds mostly, not watching a film on the computer screen.)

Do you watch a film alone most of the time? If so, by preference or necessity? Do you like to have something to eat and/or drink when you tune in to a movie? Alcohol, coffee, hot chocolate? Or for the more Spartan of us, mineral water?

Do you like to talk during a film - this is assuming that you're watching it with others - well, hopefully.

I don't mean during dialogue, but maybe during a long scene with no talking -is that the time you or another likes to comment or ask a question?

Or do you HATE IT when people talk during a movie, even if it's over a non-dialogue part?

Another option if it's a dvd - do you or others like to pause the film if you didn't "get" something, a line of dialogue or just confusion ( "Hey, is that the same guy we just saw on the other side of the world?")

Do you enjoy watching a movie with a "significant other" ( if there is one), or kids ( actual kids or "adult children"), friends?

And I get the impression that a lot of you have TCM on almost all the time, and depending on the film, decide to sit down and watch something that catches your attention, or maybe you clean up the kitchen and listen what's happening on the screen from another room.

I have a friend who loves old movies, loves TCM, but almost always falls asleep when she's watching it. She's awake at the beginning, asleep in the middle, and awake again at the end. But she claims she gets something out of it anyway.

What about falling asleep while watching a movie, anyway? Do you do that?

So much nosiness, so many questions. I just thought, now that it's getting into cold and dark season, that people in general maybe stay in more and watch TCM or other movie sources more, and part of the movie-watching experience isn't just the film itself, it's how we watch it.

Intriguing questions, misswonderly.

I especially like watching films with people who love films as much as I do (and have seen a lot of them as I have). It adds more dimensions to the experience because we can discuss it afterward.

More often than not, I watch TV with my cats at home, under a big blue quilt on an overstuffed chair and ottoman, and usually with a snack (esp. ice cream). DVDs usually in the bedroom, because I routinely fall asleep fairly early in the evening and then wake up early in the a.m. (what some might consider "the middle of the night.")

To talk or not to talk . . . is a good question. I don't mind a short comment or question during a non-dialog scene, as you described. But, I know some people really object to that.

A "game" I routinely play inside my head -- whether it's a classic or contemporary film -- is "where did I see that actor before?" If I cannot figure it out, sometimes it bugs me so much that I'll pause the DVD to check IMDb. For example, while I know his name now, Henry Daniell always will be "Mr. Brocklehurst" (Jane Eyre, 1943) to me as in . . . "Hey, Mr. Brocklehurst is playing another meanie in THIS film."

I tend to watch a lot of films with British actors and so I'll turn on the English subtitles . . . because if I "miss" a piece of dialog due to accent or sound quality (or my failing hearing??), I fear that I may have missed something crucial.

{font:Times New Roman}I live alone and do comment on the movies aloud, sort of like MST3K. And the more gin I pour, the more outrageous my comments to myself become. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:Times New Roman}I do have TCM on while doing housework and frequently stop in the middle of something when I want to see a particular scene. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:Times New Roman}Dpompper – I do exactly the same thing when I recognize somebody, but can’t think of their name. {font}

I have pretty much watched films by myself all my life. Even as a little kid I went alone to the movies. I hate talking during a film, so I never go out to the local multiplex (it's been at least 5 years and I went to the first showing on a weekday--only 4 of us in the theater.) I rarely eat or drink anything unless it happens to be meal time. I do tend to look at IMDB while the film is on to read reviews or get spoilers in case I miss something or if for some reason I can't or don't finish watching. I also want to know about supporting players or other trivia about a film.

> {quote:title=Janet0312 wrote:}{quote}

> {font:Times New Roman}I live alone and do comment on the movies aloud, sort of like MST3K. And the more gin I pour, the more outrageous my comments to myself become. {font}

>

> {font:Times New Roman} {font}

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> {font:Times New Roman}I do have TCM on while doing housework and frequently stop in the middle of something when I want to see a particular scene. {font}

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> {font:Times New Roman} {font}

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> {font:Times New Roman}Dpompper – I do exactly the same thing when I recognize somebody, but can’t think of their name. {font}

>

Holy Gordon's!! Too much information here... Don't be mentioning gin on the TCM message board or you'll soon end up with the message board looking like something like "Gin Lane" below... ;)

438px-GinLane.jpg

From Wiki. William Hogarth's "Gin Lane" (1751.) In public domain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GinLane.jpg

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Do you watch a film alone most of the time? If so, by preference or necessity?

This varies greatly depending on time of day, type of movie and other circumstances.

Our schedules are rarely synchronized and so it often is that I am sleeping or at school when it is his time for relaxation. He is often in the same situation with sleep or work when I am idle. We have no choice but to watch movies alone when that happens.

There are movies which I like very much which he will not watch. He likes some movies which I will not watch again. It has happened that we will be watching our movies in different rooms.

We both also like to have a movie playing when we are working in the house and we are not then watching the movie.

Our preference is to watch movies together while laying on the bed. It is sad to say this rarely happens more than three or four times each week and so we like to maximize it by watching two or more movies in a row.

> Do you like to have something to eat and/or drink when you tune in to a movie? Alcohol, coffee, hot chocolate? Or for the more Spartan of us, mineral water?

This depends on the movie and time of day. I always have a beverage at hand. The type is chosen based on time of day and type of movie. We will at times eat meals while watching a movie. It is common to have at least nuts or wafers on the stand next to the bed. Vodka and ginger snaps are our traditional "last movie of the night" accompaniment.

> Do you like to talk during a film - this is assuming that you're watching it with others - well, hopefully.

I am more likely to talk when I am alone. I will at times say what the character should have said or I will give advice. It is also justification when I say aloud what I expect to happen next and then it happens because it means I was so sure of my prediction that I articulated it rather than merely having it pass through my mind. I can not speak for him as I am not there when he is alone but I have found him talking to all manner of things so it will not surprise me if he does it often.

I have not tabulated frequency but I will guess that the majority of the time when one of us speaks when we are watching a movie together that we will quickly put the movie on pause so we may discuss an aspect with no loss of watching the movie.

> What about falling asleep while watching a movie, anyway? Do you do that?

It has happened to me but it is rare. It is less rare that I will be distracted by a more attractive activity and so I will let the movie finish which my attention is elsewhere.

An aspect of our movie-watching is that we rarely watch a movie as it is airing. It was my habit to be active until a movie began but any contretemps in my activity would make me late for the beginning. He would often try to do the same but he is such that he would nearly always finish so far in advance of time that he would have to find some other thing to do while waiting and there are not many things which are productive to fill ten or thirty minutes.

That is why nearly all of our viewing of new-to-us movies now is time-shifted using the DVR. We can do real-world things until it has begun and the other is also free and then begin to watch from the beginning.

I am very interested to know how other people watch movies and what affects their methods and modes.

> I tend to watch a lot of films with British actors and so I'll turn on the English subtitles . . . because if I "miss" a piece of dialog due to accent or sound quality (or my failing hearing??), I fear that I may have missed something crucial.

Wonder if Miss Wonderly is doing a research study or something?

Maybe she has a grant to spend a year or two asking us questions like the ones below...

And that's ok... Just that I'd like a chocolate bar or something out of it (Timmy's card?), if so...

Yes, if I can I like turning on subtitles so you don't miss any dialogue. "Closed captioning" I guess it's called. If it's available. For English-language films so you don't miss any dialogue.

It's a great feature. Especially late at night when others are sleeping and volume has to be on low...

(I can watch a TCM silent late at night with TV volume turned off...)

Can't remember when I started to be interested in films? Long time ago, anyway.

As a teenager was a geek who didn't go out much and so spent time watching old films on TV.

That was before VCRs and modern technology 'tho we did have cable TV.

Watched excellent channels like TVO's "Saturday Night at the Movies," TFO and CBLFT for French-langauge films, CBC for films too.

Was a night owl so liked to stay up late on weekends watching flicks.

Yes, by myself, as family was either out or in bed asleep.

Still a geek and so not much has changed. Don't like going to theatres.

(Did belong to a film club as a teen where most (think all) of other members were adults.

Many films were rated R and funny that I could see them as a member of the club when I wouldn't be able to watch them at a theatre. Remember being turned away from "The Deer Hunter" at theatre as I was so young at the time, for example.)

People too badly behaved in audience and too expensive.

Films eventually get shown on TV anyway or released on DVD/Video...

Anyway, mostly watch films on TV through TCM, TVO, TFO, CBLFT, PBS, etc....

Usually by myself at night. Most films I've seen before.

But even so always something new to notice in good films.

As a history geek may be thinking of history in film and how it's different from reality, think about little things in actor's performance that make it so good sometimes (little tricks, I guess you'd call them), cinematography... But I guess stuff like goes through my head while viewing a film...

No gin and watching a movie 'tho... Bad combination...

Sometimes have to turn off TV if can't stay awake. But notice that never happens if it's a good film But as the film is obviously good enough to hold my attention and keep me awake.

Usually no big deal if film is so-so as it will be on TV again at some point and I can watch the rest or what I missed then...

Don't eat during or talk at film... Not unless I'm into the giggle juice... (Never happens...)

Don't use modern technology - DVDs, VCRs, etc. - with a few exceptions...

That ok, Miss W.

Send my cheque to De Witless and he'll forward it to me...

Edited by: RMeingast on Oct 26, 2012 12:42 PM

No research study, just thought it might be interesting to get to know our fellow-posters' and our fellow old-movie lovers' film-watching habits.

Full disclosure: ok, so pour moi, I often prefer watching a film alone. I started doing this when I was about 17 or 18, going to see movies on my own, whether it was a "classic" film at a reperatory cinema, or a first-run movie. Sometimes I'd attend them with friends ( or even a boyfriend or potential boyfriend), but I often chose to go on my own. It felt like an adventure to me, especially if it were in an older part of town. (Once I sort of "met someone" there, we were sitting side by side watching a Humphrey Bogart film, and we started talking. Would this be regarded as getting "picked up"? Anyway, that whole thing is another story...)

So I enjoy watching films on my own, whether out at a movie theatre or at home. But I often watch them with my "significant other" as well. Problem is, although he likes movies too, especially old movies, he likes reading or watching sports or the news just as much. And if it's a melodrama or something, he's not interested. So I end up recording a lot of TCM movies, in fact, I have a huge collection of recorded films that I still haven't gotten around to watching.

RM, I think Janet0312 was kidding, but even if she wasn't, what's wrong with sucking back a little gin while enjoying a classic film? Perhaps she feels she's just doing a little "life imitates art", since half the time the characters in the movie are partaking of hard liquor.

Myself, if it's morning (rare) it's coffee; later it might be tea or even (gasp !) a glass of nice red wine.

My wife CLAIMS to not like those "dusty, **** old movies" that I often enjoy. But often she'll keep quiet and take an interest if it's one she liked from long ago, or seems to be interesting. Recently, she DID get wrapped up in the post-war drama *The Search* . She thought that kid( Kid? If still alive, he'd be in his SEVENTIES by now) had very expressive eyes, and was cute to boot! And when he was finally reunited with his Mother, she was tearing up.

I always have a hot cup of coffee at hand, and don't mind eating a little something while watching too.

Talking is OK if it's referral to the movie being watched( what did he just say? Didn't she kill that other guy? Geez, what an ugly hat!).

I did have a brother-in-law who, when someone would put on a tape of a movie, talk incessantly for the first 20 minutes or so of it, THEN settle down and ask, "What's this flick about, anyway?". ACK!

Sepiatone

I work 40+ hours a week and have a lot of interactions in my job, so at the end of the day I love to come home, shut the door, and turn on an old movie. It's a form of decompression for me. At the moment I don't have cable so I rely on my DVD collection or Netflix/Classicflix for entertainment. I usually eat dinner while watching, but somehow I can't eat a meal if the film is very emotional or "demands a lot of attention".

When I went to movie theaters, it was always with friends, but once I went alone and it was a great experience. I got to really relax - I wasn't thinking of the person/people with me and I also didn't have my one friend continually making comments and hitting me in the arm (sheesh!). (Though, that said, it can be fun to have an enthusiastic friend with you for really funny comic films.)

For some reason the idea of gin drinks always makes me laugh. Gin's a very English drink, isn't it? I believe it's made from juniper berries or something.

I do enjoy a glass of good red wine if I'm watching a movie in the evening.

Come to think of it, I like to have something to eat or drink or both most of the time when I settle down to watch a TCM flick. I think it's something to do with "comfort", relaxing, having something nice to watch and something nice to eat. I also like to have the cat on my lap, and maybe a blanket if it's cold. Oh, and once the film starts, I do not answer the phone. No, I don't have it by my side and even if I did, I'd let it ring. If it's an emergency they'll leave a message or call back. I'm not going to miss Van Heflen's big speech or Ida Lupino's declaration of love or even a good long shot of some noirish back allies just because someone's decided to call me when I'm watching a movie. Not their fault, of course they don't know, but I'm still not going to talk to them while the film's running.

Wow. I don't think I've ever thought about it so deeply before. Let's see if I can answer these.

Do you watch a film alone most of the time? If so, by preference or necessity?

Most of the time, I'm alone. I'm really the only classic film fan in the family. My husband will watch some with me, but they have to be pre-screened by me.

Do you like to have something to eat and/or drink when you tune in to a movie?

Yes. I always have a coke because I think there's a law somewhere that says you have to have one. If it's going to be a long movie, I'll have a snack but nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe chips, crackers, nuts, whatever.

Do you like to talk during a film?

If I've seen it before and the person I'm with hasn't, then yes. I'll often spit out some trivia that probably I'm the only one impressed by. If it's something we've never seen together, then no. Well, unless it's a whodunnit, in which case we speculate before the murderer is revealed.

Or do you HATE IT when people talk during a movie, even if it's over a non-dialogue part?

My husband does, but he'll have to get over it. LOL!

Do you enjoy watching a movie with a "significant other" ( if there is one), or kids ( actual kids or "adult children"), friends?

When alone, I can watch them at my own pace and rewind it (via DVR) a thousand times if I want. Hmmm. I guess then I would say both. I enjoy them by myself and with others too.

And I get the impression that a lot of you have TCM on almost all the time, and depending on the film, decide to sit down and watch something that catches your attention, or maybe you clean up the kitchen and listen what's happening on the screen from another room.

Is this a question? If so, I don't keep it on all the time, but will turn it on when I sit down to unwind before bed. I tend to DVR most of the movies. I go through the schedule for the week and DVR the ones that sound interesting or sound familiar in some way. I've heard of tons of movies that I've still never seen, so if I see that on the list, it gets recorded and I watch when I have time. I've discovered all kinds of things I never thought I would have liked before.

What about falling asleep while watching a movie, anyway? Do you do that?

No. I have never fallen asleep watching a movie.

Great topic!

Very interesting topic!! Thank you for starting it, Miss Wonderly! I've enjoyed reading how folks like to watch flix!!

I tend to watch alone, though I'd love to watch with others, but I'm the only person I know offline who digs classic flix. I wish it were different, but unfortunately no!

I'm always grooving and in awe of the coolest flix on TCM! I tend to watch from the DVR, only because work interferes with my grooving to TCM flix, but I also dig watching live whenever I can, it feels communal!!

If its something I'm interested in regardless if its a movie, documentary, special or whatever, I like to lay back with the lights off and wearing my Pro-60 headphones to shut the world out. I like my movie viewing during the night. I DO NOT like to be bothered when I'm drawned into the movie.

If there's nothing on then its shortwave - like to play one of my regenerative receivers.

You mentioned *Spartan* with mineral water?

Coke when watching "300". ;)

I mostly watch movies alone, which I basically prefer. The only friend I have who shares my interests moved across the country many years ago. I am single at the moment, so nothing doing there. I occasionally go to the theater with one of my brothers. Talking during the movie - depends on what it is. If it's an action film or most kinds of horror film I wouldn't mind but if I went to see a Hou Hsiao-Hsien film at the theater (an impossibility where I live) and someone was talking...oh, I would be ****.

I prefer the room to be dark, no light other than that coming from the screen, so I mostly watch films at night when at home. Silence is preferable but if I'm watching a non-favorite I don't mind others' background noise (common courtesy - they have to tolerate mine as well.)

I don't mind any home format (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, TV/On Demand/Netflix, compressed computer files, etc.) but I prefer my Blu-ray/DVD/HDTV combo. I increasingly find watching Scope or any super-wide aspect ratio films on the old 4:3 TV undesirable but I will if that's the only option.

I eat before I start a film, that requires too much attention, but I have a drink during the film. I rarely fall asleep during a movie, if I do it's because I allow myself to. Never at a theater, only at home, and never during anything I really like.

I also tend to watch certain films during certain times of the year. For instance, I find the Autumn/Christmas season the best time to watch many Hollywood films from the 1930s (Astaire/Rogers and Busby Berkeley particular favorites during this time.)

*BRILLIANT topic, missW!*

But just reading these threads, it looks like there are multiple ways for us to experience a film on television ( talking about TCM and dvds mostly, not watching a film on the computer screen.)

I loathe watching movies on the computer screen.

Do you watch a film alone most of the time?..........yes. With the dog. Used to be a Fine Arts movie theater in the county, but of course it was torn down to put up a Starbucks, or some such odiousness. I saw many a classically classic movie there, alone.

If so, by preference or necessity? ............SO likes car 'challenge' shows on Velocity and Forrest Gump, 'nuff said.

Do you like to have something to eat and/or drink when you tune in to a movie?.... yes. Vodka and crackers? Never thought about crackers before. :)

Do you like to talk during a film...... absolutely positively no. Hate seat kicking cellphone using ignorant conversation moronic troglodytes (hence not having seen a movie in a theater for eons) and gabbers during dialogue. Yes, I will talk to the screen, especially when some enabling insecure female is acquiescing to some narcissistic abusive male, usually Pat O'Brien.

Or do you HATE IT when people talk during a movie, even if it's over a non-dialogue part?....yes.

Another option if it's a dvd - do you or others like to pause the film if you didn't "get" something.........yes.

Do you enjoy watching a movie with a "significant other" ......no. See Forrest Gump, above.

And I get the impression that a lot of you have TCM on almost all the time... no, but comes the point in the movie where I have a question, or want to know who someone is - e.g., Jeanne Eagels, BRILLIANT actress - and since I won't give in to Jobs and buy an iPad or an iPhone, I have to get up and schlep ALL the way across the room (life's tough) and turn on the laptop and go to TCM or google and ask my burning question in the middle of the movie (AND I have to change my glasses), since I will forget if I wait until the end - what was my point? Oh yes, I now watch movies with one trigger finger on the computer! Ah, progress. What DID we do when all we had was the library and books???????

What about falling asleep while watching a movie, anyway? Do you do that?......... guess? :) I won't pay for a DVR and it's why I like TCM to have classically classic movies on during the day, especially now that I no longer work for The Man.

So much nosiness, so many questions. I just thought, now that it's getting into cold and dark season, that people in general maybe stay in more and watch TCM or other movie sources more, and part of the movie-watching experience isn't just the film itself, it's how we watch it.

*Again, BRILLIANT topic, MissW.*

I tend to watch alone, though I'd love to watch with others, but I'm the only person I know offline who digs classic flix. I wish it were different, but unfortunately no!

Now THAT'S criminal, mark. Without your updates, I'd be lost. As noted in my posts, I'm old, and if I'm not forgetting to check the schedule, I'm forgetting that the films I've checked are on, e.g., I forgot that there's a day of George Sanders on the 29th, which I just wrote down! Your enthusiasm makes the untalented nattering nabobs bearable and the joy at coming here (thank you to the 'ignore' feature) even more joyous.

Your friends don't know what they're missing, in not watching movies with you.

mark, please know that your posts are looked forward to, fondly, and missed when they don't appear. Please keep up the outstanding work!

This is what I was thinking about last night, while I wanted to talk about All the President's Men.

Out of happenstance, I am watching movies alone. But as I am navigating through the social dance of dating, I realize I NEED a movie lover in my life. Just to talk about the movies.

The first time I watch something, at home or on the telly, I prefer not to talk, because I do not want to miss a detail. But the challenge comes from watching with someone who either hasn't seen it before (while I have) or someone who doesn't want to point out favorite shots or something that strikes a cord to a memory even though they've seen many times. Sigh.. Men aren't interested in watching the movie so much when I sit next to them...

I do love to watch the old ones on the television with like minds who are familiar, but sadly it has been a rare event. Even the Classic Movie MeetUp group I joined will attract people who've never seen Casablanca! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!

Sigh.. Men aren't interested in watching the movie so much when I sit next to them...

Are you that devastatingly interesting, that they can't take their eyes off you??? :)

Even the Classic Movie MeetUp group I joined will attract people who've never seen Casablanca! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!

Well, unless they're youts who are new to classically classic movies (we all were, once), then no. Old geezers who've never seen Casablanca are not to be forgiven!

willbe- I do really watch the movie the first time, and it is not an excuse to make out.. haha. Oh well, shut off the TV and kiss me, you old fool...

dpompper- My name is Charlotte, so don't call me surely, lol but I am not kidding! And the last time was with two women in their forties!! (facepalm)

But they knew about Beaches. (more facepalm)

that was one I thought was a mention in worst movie lists..

Us Classic MovieLovers are species unto ourselves..

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Oct 27, 2012 10:05 AM

I was only joking about drinking gin while watching a movie...

Whatever turns your crank... If you want to imbibe giggle juice while watching a movie, more power to you...

Just that it's a sure recipe for "talking" to the onscreen characters... But as long the characters in the movie don't talk back, I guess it's ok...

Other print William Hogarth did shows "Beer Street" and it was to go beside the "Gin Lane" print to contrast the benefits of drinking beer vs the evil of drinking gin.

Guess there was quite the problem with gin drinking in England at the time - 1751 (Gin Craze) - and the powers-that-were wanted to do something about it (the Gin Act).

Anyway, it was considered better if people were to drink beer, rather than gin.

Of course, Hogarth has some fun with this propaganda in his prints, if you look closely at the what's going on in each (but not poking fun at victims a la the recent Justin Timberlake wedding video that makes fun of homeless people):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_Street_and_Gin_Lane

The image below is from Wiki and is in the public domain (see copyright thread, if you wish, for why I'm writing this):

800px-Beer-street-and-Gin-lane.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings