Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Everything we ever wanted to know about...our movie-watching habits!

Do you watch a film alone most of the time? If so, by preference or necessity? Do you like to have something to eat and/or drink when you tune in to a movie? Alcohol, coffee, hot chocolate? Or for the more Spartan of us, mineral water?

Mostly alone, since few people I know other than my wife (who's gone during the day) like any "old movies" beyond the ones that have been played to death. The food and drink parts depends on the time of day. I almost always record first and watch later, since I don't like sitting in one place for more than an hour or so at most.

Do you like to talk during a film - this is assuming that you're watching it with others - well, hopefully.

I don't mean during dialogue, but maybe during a long scene with no talking -is that the time you or another likes to comment or ask a question?

Never talk during the movie, but when I'm watching it with someone who hasn't seen it before I'll often give him or her an overview, since most of the movies I foist on people aren't likely to be ones they've already seen.

Another option if it's a dvd - do you or others like to pause the film if you didn't "get" something, a line of dialogue or just confusion ( "Hey, is that the same guy we just saw on the other side of the world?")

I do that a lot with foreign films, and even more so with many pre-codes and "race" movies that often have terrible soundtracks.

Do you enjoy watching a movie with a "significant other" ( if there is one), or kids ( actual kids or "adult children"), friends?

I enjoy it, and I only wish I could connect with similar people in the DC area who share my interest in the sort of movies that play on TCM in the 21 non-prime time hours. There are book clubs galore, but I've never heard of anything similar for hard core film buffs whose taste in "old movies" extends beyond the type that run on PBS on Saturday nights.

What *about* falling asleep while watching a movie, anyway? Do you do that?

Yeah, but usually that's a sign of either a bad soundtrack or a movie that my subconsicious is telling me I probably didn't want to watch in the first place. I almost never fall asleep during any other type of film.

I only wish I could connect with similar people in the DC area who share my interest in the sort of movies that play on TCM in the 21 non-prime time hours. There are book clubs galore, but I've never heard of anything similar for hard core film buffs whose taste in "old movies" extends beyond the type that run on PBS on Saturday nights.

Funny you should mention that! I was about to post that very point on book clubs elsewhere. I too would love to connect with others, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon, which is a shame.

Just wanted to update from my original thread here: although I pepper you folks with questions, I don't necessarily expect you to answer each and every one ( unless you want to) or to take them literally. The questions are just to generate thought about what exactly we do and/or don't do when viewing a movie at home.

Now I'm going to tackle one of my own questions.

About this sleep business: I don't know if it's something to do with being in my 50s ( old fogey syndrome?) or working the wrong exercise routine, or not enough iron in my blood, or what, but I have a problem with sleepiness. It seems almost every night, after around 9, I want to fall asleep. Does not matter what I'm doing or watching, if I'm at home, my body decides it's time to go to sleep. I cannot say how many great movies I've seen only for the first half, because I've dozed off about 45 minutes into the film -without even realizing it ! My husband goes "Wake up, Wake UP ! You're missing the movie!" and I do wake up, but then I soon succumb to the Sandman again, again without even knowing it.

Sometimes I even make a pot of coffee just to keep awake, but I seem to be one of those people who can drink coffee at night and still have not trouble sleeping.

My sleeping-during-a-film-screening problem has nothing to do with how good or bad the mvoie is. I've had times when I've looked forward for ages to a particular film, and yes, it'll be a good one, and I still doze off.

I dunno...I do not have this problem when I'm out -at a first-run movie, a play, or a restaurant. Also, I can easily stay awake watching a film during the day. it's once it gets dark that the sleep creature takes over.

I've dozed off during new movies, old movies, colour, black and white, silents ( well, much as I like silents, maybe that one's understandable), and it's no reflection on how I feel about the movie.

edit: I do tend to stay up pretty late, so maybe it's just a matter of not getting enough "REM" time .(great band, by the way.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Oct 27, 2012 2:37 PM

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

>

> About this sleep business: I don't know if it's something to do with being in my 50s ( old fogey syndrome?) or working the wrong exercise routine, or not enough iron in my blood, or what, but I have a problem with sleepiness.

>

I can understand that. My ex-husband was like that and for that matter, my current husband is like that too. Sadly, I'm just the opposite. I tend to be an insomniac night owl, which I hate. I'd much rather be able to easily go to sleep and get up early, rather than both the opposite.

As for the sleep and film-watching point . . .

I LOVE DOING THAT! -- It's comforting. In fact, sometimes I know I've only got 30 minutes of less in me before falling asleep so I'll put in one of my favorite B&W classic film DVDs. They're like lullabies to me, I guess. By now, I must have seen the beginning of "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir" at least 100 times. Other faves for this are "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House," "Rebecca," "Casablanca," "The Sea Hawk," "Captain Blood," "They Drive by Night," and "The Postman Always Rings Twice."

My wife tends to fall asleep very shortly after we start watching TV. So often she will find something on TV (TCM, Food Network are our main choices), to watch and I'll say 'we have seen this already'. Well I have, but she has only seen the start! So I used to say I didn't wish to watch it again and this created some tension. Thus to avoid that I now just say 'ok'. Then after 15 minutes or so I change the channel since she is asleep. But every once in a while she says 'hey why are you changing the channel!'. Well because you're eyes were closed!

*I LOVE DOING THAT! -- It's comforting.... They're like lullabies to me, I guess.*

I've done that also. Sometimes I'll want to take a nap but though my body is tired I can't fully relax because my mind is racing with things I'm worried about. So I'll pop an old movie in the DVD player and watch that to relax until I fall asleep. Funny you mention "Blandings" because that's one of my favorite 'comfort movies' - that is, a movie I can just completely relax to while I'm watching. It doesn't require a whole lot of thought or emotional involvement.

Thank you so much for your kind comments, willbefree!!! Yes, George Sanders will be rocking it all day Monday on TCM and he definitely gets a mention in my next groovin' post!

As for the other topic on the thread about snoozin', oh my gosh yes, I've always had that affliction! And has been mentioned, it has ZERO to do with how rockin' (or not) the flick I'm watching is. It's just me being tired from work, etc, also...I do find old films so relaxing, and there is something about falling asleep to old movies late at night...that just feels so therapeutic! I agree with many of the comments made on this topic!!

Coolio topic, Miss Wonderly!!

You can read these articles (the one below and another one in a previous post) full-text in PDF by clicking on the links...

Another interesting academic paper here about us "avids" by Dr. Liz Evans of the University of Nottingham titled:

"Superman vs Shrödinger's Cat: Taste, Etiquette and Independent Cinema Audiences as Indirect Communities":

http://www.participations.org/Volume%208/Issue%202/3c%20Evans.pdf

It's certainly an advantage in watching recorded movies, whether they be rented DVDs or from one's own collection...if you're getting sleepy you can always pause or even stop the movie, get the doziness out of your system, and resume it when ready.

If it's "live" airing on TCM, then you snooze, you lose. :_|

I had a serious alteration of my sleep cycle because of travel and an injury. It needed only one instance of me falling asleep during a thing I wished to watch to make me watch only short programs until I recovered

It is usual that I recognize sleepiness early as in: "I will need to go to sleep within the next two hours". This allows me to chose movie with run-times less than that.

I have an unusual work schedule. I work from 7pm to 5am, four days a week. That, and the fact that I'm also a news junkie, affect my movie watching. CNN, or CDs, are my default when I am reading, cooking, or doing household chores. I really wouldn't like 'listening' to movies, without seeing them.

Usually, two of my evenings off each week, I have a friend or two over, and we have dinner (pizza, or I cook,) and we watch movies, usually TCM, usually from my DVR. I usually watch movies on my third night off, by myself. Most nights when I work, I catch up on the news when I get home, but sometimes have time to watch a film, or maybe PBS.

I drink mostly water, but usually have a beer, or glass of red wine, with a meal. Sometimes I do snack while watching movies, sometimes popcorn. More likely, I'll snack on a dark chocolate bar, or nuts, dried fruit, or a Mexican popsicle. Of course, if I have a guest, we share.

I, and my guest, usually do talk just a bit, during dialog-free scenes. This would be about the film, conjecture about a whodunit, trying to figure out what something means, talk about the actor, etc.

I do sometimes fall asleep, or doze just a bit, while watching a film. If so, I back it up in the DVR, and watch from the last scene I can remember. If I have to do that a couple of times, I'll give up, go to bed, and watch it later.

Frankly, things like drinking or smoking weed are of too much importance to

be disrupted by mere entertainment, however skillfully it is presented. So I almost

never drink/smoke and watch. But munching on some chips or popcorn and

sucking down a soda or some milk is perfectly acceptable, even if done during

one of those deep head-scratchers like Suddenly, Last Summer or The Seventh

Seal. I very rarely have the chance to watch TCM during prime time, so I usually

catch it if there's a decent flick on at 11 or 12. I usually don't go to bed until 2, so

this fits into my schedule and I never fall asleep during a film, though a few are definitely

deserving. If the movie doesn't end until 3 I usually skip it. Just for the heck of it I

watched the last 45 minutes or so of Seven Days in May last night. Solid movie, but

except for the plot point of Ava's letters, she wasn't really needed. I like to occasionally

talk to the characters in the movie--'Yeah, buddy like you had a chance with her' or

'Talk about stupid, what a dope,' that kind of thing, because some of the things these

folks do are just so funny stupid. And also, Mank's set really doesn't do much for me.

Looks like a rather anonymous furniture store decoration done by somebody who is

color blind. Very blah, but it's not about the set. I haven't seen Wolf Blitzer in ages.

He looks pretty good with white hair.

Watching movies on the computer is not the optimum method, but there are so many

good films on YT that aren't otherwise available that I have no problem watching them

on the monitor, and one doesn't have to worry about the "schedule."

Apropos of not much, I remember going with a friend to see The Great Dictator. For

some reason we let another, younger kid tag along and this kid would not shut up. He

kept talking non-stop. We finally told him to shut the f*ck up or we'd leave him in the

city. That worked. We should have left him there anyway, but we didn't.

db-

Your description also fit my ex.

I think I must want to talk about the movies as I watch them. Last night, my date took me to see Cloud Atlas. I don't think he enjoyed it as much as I did. During the movie, some characters actually talk in a strange sort of shorthand style, and I thought the audience was trying too hard to decipher it. I wanted to talk about it, afterward, but he didn't.

Turns out, he's not such a movie fan. You learn that people come here loving the movies, but not all movie goers are movie lovers.

> {quote:title=casablancalover2 wrote:}{quote}db-

> Your description also fit my ex.

>

> I think I must want to talk about the movies as I watch them. Last night, my date took me to see Cloud Atlas. I don't think he enjoyed it as much as I did. During the movie, some characters actually talk in a strange sort of shorthand style, and I thought the audience was trying too hard to decipher it. I wanted to talk about it, afterward, but he didn't.

>

> Turns out, he's not such a movie fan. You learn that people come here loving the movies, but not all movie goers are movie lovers.

Two things:

First, about "Cloud Atlas," I know this movie is based on a book - haven't read it - but from what I have read about this movie it seems very familiar??

Like the plot has basically been done before?? But I can't put my finger on the movie??

Anybody want to help? I could and probably will try and answer my own plea by doing some research but just thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

And no, I won't be going to see "Cloud Atlas."

Second, about the "date," is the fact the beau isn't into movies a dealbreaker?

Obviously you noted he didn't want to talk afterward about the movie, so it registered with you.

So is that a negative for this guy... Is he already ancient history??

Anyway, maybe too much information here and you don't have to reply... Talk about nosy...

BTW, and related to my second comment above, think Miss W. is looking to start a TCM Dating Service... Or a "Classic Avid Film-goers" Date Line...

Potential ad would go something like this:

"Are you a classic film fan?? Do you enjoy watching classic films alone while drinking giggle juice/eating fatty foods/smoking weed/having a hard time staying awake, but wish you had a significant other with the same interests as you?? Well now you can do something about it!

Try "Wonderly's Classic Film Lovers Find Other Classic Film Lovers Dating Service" and change your life for the better, now!!!! Only $5.99 a second to call and meet your future... Call now!"

"Callers must be over the age of 45 and must pass a trivia test on classic films to take part.

Canadians must pay $10.99 per second as it's harder to find people to put up with them."