Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Age "HD" effect onto old B/W Films, .....( *

Chillachella

Just got myself a new big 55" tv, ......HD, ...... nice, ...But, ....found out that while viewing my favorite , ...if not any old B/W movie, ..... appears different, ......live stage play, .....realer then real affect, ....nothing that the Human eye can see that clearly as its happening, ......so, ....my enjoyment in the past in viewing any film is how altered to viewing something so clearly , .......the softest of the texure of the era has gone, .........Has anyone else experience this?

I get that effect watching my son's new 60-inch Samsung. I call it the soap opera effect, all grain is gone courtesy of the setting that's supposed to remove motion blur inherent in LED sets.

Personally, I'll take the grain instead, I've never even noticed the blur on my six-year-old LED set.

That's caused by something called "Auto Motion Plus" or "Motionflow" (if you have a Samsung or Sony that is - dunno what other companies call it...probably something similar.) It's a terrible feature which should be turned off immediately. It's often associated with the 120hz/higher refresh rate of the TV - a very good thing that allows 24 frames per second playback for Blu-ray media - but "AMP" and "Motionflow" are separate and unnecessary features.

Some general recommendations: It's also a good idea to turn off things like "Noise Reduction/Digital NR", "Edge Enhancement", or any artificial picture enhancements. Sharpness should be set to whatever your TVs neutral point is - it's probably zero but it might be different for your brand. Your TV will look better without any artifical sharpening, which really just makes any picture deficiencies like banding, macroblocking, and pixelization much more apparent. Also, play around with your TVs general configuration options to start with (stuff like "Dynamic", "Standard", "Natural', "Movie/Cinema", etc.) I believe most TVs are set on "Dynamic" out of the box - that makes the picture way too bright with heavy contrast. "Movie/Cinema" is a good place to start but even it requires some adjustments. It takes some time and doing to get things right but it's really worth the effort.

In the bonus section of "This Is Cinerama" there is a technique they used called *FurnaceCore Digital Cleanup* for removing grain within any movie.

As computers and software evolves we can expect an easy to use home version in the near future so anyone can do this at home while dubbing.

thefoundry_furnaceCore.png?1278070363

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings