Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
plisecki

recording DVD's from TCM

I have recorded many films from TCM over the last 4 years or so. My qauestion is, It seems that I am not able to record much recently, that is the sound records, but not the video. My guess is that the movies are copywrited. I really never had this problem until recently. I thought that most, if not all of the movies on TCM, (I'm most interested in Horror) were not copywrited, so therefore I had always been able to record tham. Has anyone else noticed this same issue with recording?

It has been my experience that a copy-protected broadcast will be recognized by the recorder and it will display a message and record nothing.

That you have sound with no video makes me think there is a problem with your cables. I must jiggle the "video-in" connector on the television in my workroom each and every time I begin to play movies there.

Copyrights have nothing to do with it, Most of what TCM shows is copyrighted, but that really doesn't matter. Decades ago when the movie studios sued to prevent the sale of the first VCRs, the courts ruled that it was perfectly legal to record programming from TV for personal use. It's considered "fair use" under the copyright law. Neither TCM nor any channel does anything to block recording.

There's been much discussion going about this here and on other sites. The problem appears to be a flaw in certain recorder models that are made under several brand names by a particular manufacturer in Asia. For some reason, even after many successful recordings, the chip in the recorder that prevents copying of commercial DVDs somehow starts blocking different TV channels, In some cases it's TCM in others it might be HBO or something else.

The thought seems to be that your cable company has done something, most likely unintentional, like adjusting or upgrading equipment that triggered this. What really seems odd is that it doesn't affect every recorder made by the same company, just certain ones.

Over the years, I've recorded a couple of thousand of movies from TCM and never had a problem. You might want to consider trying a different recorder.

> {quote:title=markfp2 wrote:}{quote}Copyrights have nothing to do with it, Most of what TCM shows is copyrighted, but that really doesn't matter. Decades ago when the movie studios sued to prevent the sale of the first VCRs, the courts ruled that it was perfectly legal to record programming from TV for personal use. It's considered "fair use" under the copyright law. Neither TCM nor any channel does anything to block recording.

Exaqctly. What would be the point of a DVD recorder or DVR if recording a program was preventable. The old term which has been around since the beginning of home video has been "For private home use only".

If the studios had gotten their way, there would have been no point in having a recorder because you wouldn't have been able to record much of anything with it.

The whole battle was that the studios sued Sony to prevent them from making and selling their Betamax recorder. They didn't want ANY recorders sold to the consumer. If the courts had ruled in favor of the studios, that's probably exactly what would have happened.

It was really a repeat of when Television first came in. The studios fought it tooth and nail doing everything they could to stop it. But when they failed to do that and somebody finally realized how much money could be made from television they jumped right in, That's exactly what happened with home video.

Some of us noted in a separate thread that in late August suddenly something happened with the Time Warner Cable system in the New York City area that blocked TCM, the Cartoon Network and Boomerang from being recorded on certain DVD recorders.

As far as I know, none of us affected have been able to get a straight answer as to why this happened, but those three channels were part of the Turner network and are based in Atlanta. But then CNN is not similarly affected.

We have problems with both our Sony DVD recorders in that they often claim there is copy protection when there is not. There have been times when recording of FMC or IFC stopped on other machines when programs changed.

Such instances were all the recorders refusing to record and displaying a notice that it can not record because of copy-protection.

I know of nothing related to copy-protection or false sensing of copy-protection that will explain a recorder continuing to operate but recording only sound and not video.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}It has been my experience that a copy-protected broadcast will be recognized by the recorder and it will display a message and record nothing.

>

> That you have sound with no video makes me think there is a problem with your cables. I must jiggle the "video-in" connector on the television in my workroom each and every time I begin to play movies there.

I agree that sound and no picture is probably a problem with a cable. It could be the cable from the cable box to the DVDR, or the video out to the TV, as you have stated. If it is the video out to the TV, the recording would still be good, and would have a picture, when the cable was fixed.

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Oct 28, 2012 12:39 AM

I have only now thought to ask a person with expertise in recording. He questions if the recording is being done by VCR. He states that the audio and video are placed on the tape by different heads and one can fail and not affect the operation of the other. This would allow the video to pass through the recorder while in operation so that it appears as if all is normal and well..