Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

That's right, lavender. He also appeared in several episodes of "Beretta" and "Harry O". He was in a Bruce Willis movie called "Striking Distance" which was filmed in Pittsburgh. He was in several horror movies for directors George Romero and John Carpenter, but he'll always be known for playing cops.

Now, do you know this actress? She was a large woman who played the same types of roles as Marjorie Main and Hope Emerson. She starred in a TV series that was based upon a movie that had starred Marie Dressler. She took her professional last name from her hometown.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIbsA-DqMmCH8xPbSwSod

You got her, Twinkee. I thought it would be tougher. She was in a TV series called "The Adventures Of Tugboat Annie", and of course, Marie Dressler had starred in "Tugboat Annie" years earlier.

Now, here is a character actress who could be a real mean old biddy. She could also play society women. Do you know her?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1xSkvmHwn8oIj3GqYbZi

MARIE DRESSLER

Of course I recognized her instantly from DINNER AT EIGHT, however, you had mentioned her on a previous post when I checked her bio and was shocked to learn that she was not only Canadian but from Cobourg, Ontario, a small town about 2 hrs from where I live !

Of course we are aware of recent (past 20 yrs or so) Canadians who have gone on to become Stars, however, I had NO idea of the amount of well known Canadians who were Stars back in the 'Heyday' of Hollywood, most of whom were from Ontario.

Norma Shearer is another Canadian from Hollywood's Heyday and of course Mary Pickford who irionically was known as 'America's Sweetheart', (one has to wonder how that went over in Canada at the time).

Twink

Yes, Twinkee, it's a young Marie Dressler wearing what I'm sure was a very fashionable hat. Before we leave Canadian film stars for a while, here's a girl who was known as "The First Movie Star". She was from Hamilton, Ontario. Do you know her name?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhrZ1SsxrJO3W-rebGawW

FLORENCE LAWRENCE

P. S. Hamilton, Ontario is about 45 miles from where I live in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and is located on the way to Toronto.

It is also where the first Tim Horton's Donut Coffee shop opened up, a Very popular chain here in Canada and I believe they now have locations in the US as well.

Twinks

Yes, Twinkee got another one. Florence Lawrence was also known as "The Biograph Girl". That was the movie company that she worked for from about 1907 to 1909, appearing in dozens of films, many of which were directed by D.W.Griffith. In those days, people watched movies in little theaters called "Nickelodeons". Most of the actors did not receive screen credit. The movie companies thought that if the actor's names were known, and they were quite popular, they might be demanding more money. Florence Lawrence commited suicide in 1938. Many years later, in 1991, actor Roddy McDowall paid for a memorial marker for her grave that reads "The Biograph Girl" / "The First Movie Star".

We'll leave Canadian actresses for a while and see if someone knows this next guy. I guarantee that you've seen him many times, but you may not recognize him right away. Who is he?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSl35jxR7MbUaB6POQzSCs

Yes, Clayton Moore had been in movies for years playing both heroes and villains before landing the part of Kemo Sabe in 1949. Now, who is this actor who specialized in playing nervous, fidgety authority figures from the fifties through the seventies?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4whOcbChA0QZAW-99m7I

Yes, he played the same types of roles as Franklin Pangborn. You may remember him in "No Time For Sergeants" as the army psychiatrist. Now, here is a handsome devil of an actor who will always be remembered for one role. Who is he?

el+doberman.jpg

By the way, the role was not El Muchacho.

Yes, lavender, Maurice Gosfield as Pvt, Duane Doberman, was one of the most popular characters on TV. He even had a series of comic books about the Doberman character.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrCzDPI91lWmtJIFG77rH

That one was for Edythe Van Hopper and her dad.

Now, here is a comic actor who appeared on radio for years before showing up on TV in the fifties. Do you know him?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN2RPWi8gcv6EDxKJCzEf

No, no, lavender. I posted it because Edythe mentiond Doberman in the "By Any Other Name" thread recently. Everyone is always free to answer these picture posts of mine. Arnold Stang is correct. Do you remember his commercials for chunky candy? "What a chunk'a chocolate!"

Now, here's a man and his little friend who appeared in a movie with Betty Grable, as well as guesting on TV many times. If you are in the baby boomer generation, you should know him (or them). Do you?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1MwULEzzU9Hrk0YzgqCw

It's funny how our memories work sometimes. It's not Billy Barty and it's not Borrah Minevitch. Borrah Minevitch retired in the late forties and died in 1955. If you watch the movie "Always In My Heart", you will see him and his Harmonica Rascals. You can see them in clips on Youtube. This little guy had been in the group and he took it over when Minevitch retired, changing the name of the group to the Harmonica Gang. Now, if you can supply his name, we can move on.