Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
metz44

WHO???

Miles, I've also had an impossible time getting on site today. Is the guy any chance James Brown? (not Papa's Got A Brand New Bag. LOL- James Brown) but the actor. He looks like the guy from *Going My Way* and although in this photo he's without his hat and uniform, Rip in Rin Tin Tin ? I'm afraid to verify because I may not be able to get back on site.

I finally gave up on this site about 5:30 PM and watched musicals on TCM. Even now, it's very slow. Lavenderblue got this last one. The photo is indeed James Brown, known as Lt. Rip Masters on "The Adventures Of Rin Tin Tin". He also played Gene Lockhart's son in "Going My Way". When I was very young, back when I was known as "Half-A-Mile Archer", I was in the Cub Scouts and we used to meet at our den mother's house on Fridays. We often would stay after the meeting to watch Rin Tin Tin before walking home. I still remember that the sponsor was Milk Bone dog biscuits. Also on TV on Fridays was "I Remember Mama" and "The Life Of Riley".

Now, here is an actress who was a regular on a fifties TV show. She was active from the late thirties to the early sixties, but she didn't become a big star. She was married to a famous producer. She also had a famous sister. This photo is from when she was quite young. Do you know her?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOEmLLF0f7wQk2vcjfl8i

This next one is from a guest appearance that she made on a popular show.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWIKIXHWz4zN-C7j0o_AN

Is her famous 'sister' Ilka Chase?

The bottom photo looks a bit like Ilka Chase.

Sorry, Twinks, no relation to Ilka Chase. The bottom photo is from an episode of "I Love Lucy" that this actress was guesting on. The famous sister was just seen on TCM this past Saturday evening. This actress also provided the voice for a Disney cartoon character. She can also be seen playing a photographer in a movie with Marilyn Monroe that Lurene Tuttle was also in. The TV series that she was a regular on was mentioned by me fairly recently in this thread. That ought to be enough clues to get you started in a little research.

Edited by: MilesArcher on May 6, 2013 12:46 PM

GLORIA BLONDELL

I recognized her somewhat, knew I had seen her before and the name Gloria stood out in my mind!

Before I even analyzed your hints, the name came to me but your hints did help 'jog' my memory, Thanks.

Twinks

Yes, Twinkeee, it's Gloria Blondell, the sister of Joan. Gloria played Honeybee Gillis on "The Life Of Riley". She played a photographer in "Don't Bother To Knock". She also did the vioce of Daisy Duck for Walt Disney. She married producer Albert "Cubby" Broccoli.

Now, here's a guy you should be familiar with if you watched TCM on Sunday night. Can you name him?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCVYx3m_fRyC9cZzmk6xR

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQksmIJBGShgiZwnhUHIIi

You got him, lavender. Hobart Cavanaugh was in countless movies in the thirties and forties. He usually played henpecked, nervous little guys. He actually was on TCM several times this past week-end. He had small roles in "Gold Diggers Of 1933" and "Footlight Parade" on Saturday, and on Sunday he played Whitey Boone, the drunk who heckles Al Jolson in "Rose Of Washington Square". Now, here is a familiar face. This actress actually had recurring roles in two sitcoms at the same time. She was in several movies, including one with Elvis, but it was TV where we remember her most. Who is she?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfxHhEVe2UsgeqlCtk0d1images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsMSgGbT2Q0CSAvgs7Ln5

Very good, Twinks. Can you tell everyone what shows you remember her from? ( I'm stalling until I can come up with another photo )

I recognized her 'instantly' from Leave It To Beaver re-runs as 'Theodore's Principal... as well from various movies.

She was also in a few I Love Lucy shows..tended to play 'uppity' society characters. She's the type of character that you just remember as having seen somewhere, but not necessarily where, however, the "Theodore's - principal episode stands out in my mind in the way she would 'pronounce' his name - typical of her character!

Twink

Doris Packer also had a recurring role on the Burns & Allen Show, playing Mrs. Sommers.

Yes, Doris Packer played Beaver's school principal and at the same time she played Mrs. Osborne, the mother of Chatsworth Osborne Jr. on "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis". She also appeared in "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" with Elvis.

Now, here's a guy who is before Twinkee's time, and practically before mine, but I'll bet we have some folks who remember him. He was once in a movie with Barbara Stanwyck before turning to TV. Who is he? By the way, it's not Pat Galagher.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHU8JZPvZOjcny_v6u5Zr

Been away the last several days (at a film event, naturally!) but am back just in time to identify Pinky Lee. And the movie he made with Barbara Stanwyck was LADY OF BURLESQUE in 1943.

"Yoo Hoo, it's me, my name is Pinky Lee" was how his song started. If you watch part or all of this clip, you'll see what a typical Pinky Lee show was like. And now, "Here's Pinky!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DqmiU7qsyI

I'm a little too young to remember his early shows, but he had to tone down some of his antics when parents complained to the network that their kids were jumping around, squirting water, throwing things, and spitting food, just like Pinky.

Now, do you remember this woman from fifties TV?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0-ubv0ZcSV4k-i6CBXZgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrh10bI73TwwKwLIGbV1R

What, no guesses? Maybe no one wants to admit that their old enough to remember her. Here are more shots that ought to give it away.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeCd8qvnTcnQ5U_UDBchP

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSc7xP4GHPFW-3KiPG3_V7

As James Bond would say, "She's had her KIX!" Who is she?

Twinkee, that name means nothing to most folks. How did you find her? What show was she on? What was she called on the show? That will jog a few memories.

The name meant nothing to me either!

She was on a 1950s TV program called 'Ding Dong School " (I have never heard of it)!

Her name on the show was 'Miss Frances', the show also starred Fran Allison.

Twink

Miles, for some reason I forgot all about Ding Dong School, I was 3 when she left the show. I kept on thinking about Romper Room instead, but knew it wasn't that show. Miles, do you know offhand if that was Fran, the Kookla Fran and Ollie Fran? too tired to look it up myself.

I barely remember it myself. I don't recall Fran Allison being on the show. I also don't remember Kix as a sponsor. I just remember it was Miss Frances on "Ding Dong School". I believe that Lifebuoy soap was a sponsor at one time, but I was just a pre-schooler or kindergartener myself, so I'm not sure. They brought the show back in the late fifties and it ran in syndication for several years. Here is a little clip that will show some of the younger folks what it was all about.

Here's one that every young girl knew. Who is this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXXFbtAv_EWN28ABtBTHeimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfCk_SpItYiH0pJ4DUI2P

You old geezer! LOL. You may remember the re-runs, because I think the show was cancelled in the early '50's but I maybe mistaken. I maybe mixing up Romper Room, Ding Dong School.I Anyone remember putting that plastic screen on the tv and drawing. I remember I was so happy when my parents let me have that.

Did I just get called an old geezer by someone who's about my age? I looked it up. "Ding Dong School" ran from November 1952 to December 1956. Somewhere in there I was a pre-schooler watching it. Lavender, were you a good do-bee when you watched "Romper Room"? That's about all I remember from that show. And now you're channeling Winky Dink and the plastic screen! Maybe you're in the Twilight Zone!

And Twinkee, Annie Oakley lived in the 1800's. Remember "Annie Get You Gun" was based on her life. The actress in the picture played her on TV.