Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I called finance an old geezer, not you! LOL Obviously I'm one also, since Winky Dink for you, Winky Dink for me is still in my memory bank. :^0 Besides, the mind must be getting old when I said I thought I was probably mixing up Ding Dong School and Romper Room .I don't think it's Gloria Winters, but she's also got those dimples, not kidding, too tired to check anything right now to see if I'm right. I'm turning in.

Gail Davis had come to Hollywood in the forties. Her original name was Betty Grayson. Davis was her married name. She couldn't use the name Betty Davis, obviously, and she didn't want any confusion with Kathryn Grayson, so she changed her first name to Gail. She began working with Gene Autry in the eary fifties. She made many appearances in his TV series and she was his leading lady in several movies. When his production company made the Annie Oakley series, she was given the lead role. She was an excellent horsewoman and she could handle a gun like a pro. Gene thought it would be great to have a western role model for young girls. The show was quite popular. Here is how she appeared on the show.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEWKydfdX45EhSc0vYMWR

Now, do you know this pretty actress?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTebWO5EyOA9nb2eDOizJsimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcStWfTo9D5KzKYU86erbpG

These pictures are from her starlet days. You probably new her from a few years later.

Yes. lavender, it's Betty Lynn. She will always be Thelma Lou to me. Here's something that I found rather interesting. Almost twenty years after her last appearance on "The Andy Griffith Show", she came back for a 1986 reunion show where Thelma Lou and Barney finally get married, and she ended up guesting on five episodes of Matlock that year. In 2006, she relocated to Mount Airy, North Carolina, which is Andy Giffith's hometown. One of the pictures that I posted of Gail Davis is from an appearance that she made on the Griffith show as Thelma Lou's cousin.

Now here is an actress who was equally adept at comedy and drama. She started in movies in the early forties and she was very active in TV for many years. She ended up on a popular soap opera near the end of her career. These pictures are from rather early in her career.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRylXe8PZsENTqnLOLFPcE

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR420xZUGo48IS3991GFdd

She's a little older in this next one. Who is she?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg2_4tt12wvnyt9xHZlbJ

You got her, Lana. Her real name was Jean, but as a child her favorite comic strip was "Mutt And Jeff"'. Somehow she picked up the nickname "Jeff" and it stuck. I guess it was a better name than "Mutt". Sometimes she was billed as Miss Jeff Donnell. She was one of the few movie actresses from Maine. In the fifties she played George Gobel's wife on his sitcom. That's right, she was "Spooky Old Alice", as he always referred to his real wife too. For the last eight years of her life, she appeared on TV's "General Hospital".

Now, here is a guy who has been on TCM recently. He usually played a mobster or a mobster's not so bright henchman. Do you know his name?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRokXRYidzzWeIkaMwaRho

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:}{quote}Ben Weldon? Didn't he show up on alot of Superman episodes, besides lots of movies??

Yes, one of his better roles in the Superman episodes was as Leftover Louie Lyman, who had a thing for lemon meringue pies. Chuck Connors appeared in the same episode, as Sylvester J. Superman.

Ha! Leftover Louie Lyman, great character name. It's funny that I've seen Ben Welden in lots of films, he wa just in Rose of Washington Square the other night, but those Superman episodes came to mind! Bet you use to watch them after school and the Abbott and Costello shows just as I did way back when. I think it was Ch11. in NY. Trying to remember when I ever had the time to do my homework LOL

Yes, it's Ben Welden, sometimes spelled Weldon, always a small time hood in movies and TV shows. He beat up Bette Davis in "Marked Woman". I believe both Miriam Hopkins and Jack Warner offered to play the part for free.

Now, I'll bet you know this next fellow. He had a long career playing a variety of roles including cops, military officers, friends of the star, and an occasional villain. He was a regular in a fifties TV series. Who is he?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREa3zNEEGqSlukICywUSB images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7Ye1RBGgBPQ0eZ-_mdPh

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:}{quote}, but those Superman episodes came to mind! Bet you use to watch them after school and the Abbott and Costello shows just as I did way back when. I think it was Ch11. in NY.

Yes, you are correct on all counts. In fact, Superman used to come around my dinner hour, so the tv was always on when we ate.

Ben Weldon appeared in a few Abbott & Costello shows as well - in one, he played a judge with a real bad hairpiece.

That must have been a very large hairpiece to cover that balding head! LOL. Knew you also watched those shows, sounds like we grew up in the same house.

btw, read your newest post on *Girls Town* . It was hoot. Thanks for posting it, brightened up my morning. Rich, you should have these gems published. :)

In case there was ever a doubt, and you know that there wasn't, I will confirm that musicalnovelty correctly identified Robert Shayne, who played Inspector Henderson on the Superman show.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmHgSAPe5ALeGZhA_9ywB

After the first two seasons, the shows were filmed in color. Now, here is an actress who never appeared with Superman. She was a Broadway actress in the twenties and thirties. In the forties, she did a lot to help the war effort. She founded the Stage Door Canteen in New York, which inspired the Irving Berlin song and the movie. She signed a contract with a Hollywood studio and spent the rest of the 1940's playing mothers of people like Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney. In the fifties, she turned to television and ended her career on a soap opera. Do you know her name?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQc7_P-rC6qifku7DMF7o4

And here she is in her later years.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVvNxKJG8TaqEiRx_d_nW

Yes, it's Selena Royle, Twinkeee. Your original spelling made her name look like a dessert. Maybe it's that Canadian spelling, like "colour" and "favourite". And speaking of favourites, (now you've got me doing it) here's a guy who was sort of the unofficial "King Of Teen Movies". If it was about teens at a beach, teens with fast cars, or teens in motorcycle gangs, it seemed that he was in it. Do you know him?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCtJ53q2gD1NBIfSkpYe6

He made a horror film or two as well.