Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just saw the Sally O'Neil & Molly O'Day pictures. I'd have named them! Big fan of them, especially Sally O'Neil (although it ain't easy to find most of her films!). That shot you used is from her 1929 Columbia feature BROADWAY SCANDALS. I have a beautiful still of Sally and Molly along with their other sister Isabel Noonan at MGM in 1927...wish I could figure out how to post pictures here...

I believe that Sally O' Neil was sometime referred to as Sally O'. Here is a talented and funny actress from that era. She worked with Laurel and Hardy and the Three Stooges in her career. Do you know her?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCuhdrMTk-Og6WwjIA7s7images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ--euMRP4BuIM2_LLxHh7

The guy is clearly Stuart Erwin, and the lady looks like Gloria Stuart, but although they did make one movie together, I couldn't really think of anything they have in common. Then it hit me...of course! - their names! They're both Stuarts.

You got it, MN. Gloria Stuart originally spelled her last name Stewart. She changed it to Stuart because her first name had six letters and so does Stuart. She said it would line up better on a marquee or poster.

Now, do you know this fellow? I'll bet you do, but you probably don't recognize him. You're used to seeing him when he was a little older.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQGZ54c7dq1fO93nJLnmK

The same could be said of this next guy. He was quite an athletic comic actor in his younger days.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQScSmBRSBycRB2hMtsU-H

As Gabby Hayes would say "Right As Rain, MN!". I might have gotten Al St, John, but I definitely would not have recognized Gabby Hayes from that picture. Here's how they looked in their later pictures.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRutslodOFYrV9QESBe1mY images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrM4MMDARqgGBrsBq_Uio

Now, who are these two?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTagccyuayaYDpabPg_7y7images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgc879uJink60d7tKu8wt

That's the beautiful and talented Olive Brasno and her brother George (they also had another brother Richard).

Best known perhaps for their appearances in a few Our Gang shorts, as well as some Vitaphone shorts and the excellent "Charlie Chan" entry CHARLIE CHAN AT THE CIRCUS (1936).

Musicalnovelty is correct. The picture is from the Charlie Chan movie. The Brasno's did a bit of work for Hal Roach. George sometimes was used as a stunt double for the kids in "Our Gang". Here is the whole picture with Warner Oland.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr-IRxZk7nvNlh2d18CDt

And here they are with circus giant Tex Madsen.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvWDvl6YHrgriKVf2mpzX

Along with brother Richard, they all appeared in "The Mighty Barnum" with Wallace Beery in 1934. Madsen also played the giant in an Our Gang short called "Mama's Little Pirate".

Here's Olive with Clarence Wilson and Spanky in "Shrimps For a Day".

olive7.jpg

They were not in "The Wizard Of Oz", although Olive's husband, Gus Wayne, played a Munchkin soldier.

Now , who is this actor who worked in both the silent and sound era's?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhEhIc-Xo5SZ3332n71wa

Yes, MN, John Ford used his brother in many movies. Now, who is this guy? He played a variety of roles, sometimes a henchman for the villain, sometimes a bartender, sometimes a cop.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnChA6gn-N0nbKsMGtZoc

He often appeared with this guy, who played scared little stool pigeons and generally nervous types. Who is he?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL9fTHdOV1969w5-gpG8U

You got'em alright, musicalnovelty. Why am I always amazed that you would know these somewhat obscure character actors? If you showed these photos to a thousand people on the street, no, make that ten thousand, I doubt if more than a few would know any of them. Now, I'm going to take it easy on everyone. I'm only posting photos of one actress. This actress changed her name part way through her career. Can you name her?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3rc8-X9ia3idHnhSEYtRimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBILX9yzw0YEGkKiBGtVY

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBNxXb0yyVA55jwBmHxE-

And apparently she changed her hair color as well.

MilesArcher said...

You got 'em alright, musicalnovelty. Why am I always amazed that you would know these somewhat obscure character actors? If you showed these photos to a thousand people on the street, no, make that ten thousand, I doubt if more than a few would know any of them.

Hey, who can ever forget The Weenie King? Or Julius Tannen's memorable role in the film-within-a-film in SINGIN' IN THE RAIN?

Musicalnovelty is right again. She was Jacqueline Wells when she was in a Tarzan serial with Buster Crabbe around 1933. I don't know why her name was changed later. Now, here is an actress who had that sort of Linda Darnell look. She could and did play maidens from exotic lands. Who is she?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuI6vXzzTlnxsJWTTxAQcimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8UymKisBHH6GrLnBcdrK